Wax or sealer for new paint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had posted earlier that once it had stopped raining, the paint on my brand new car looked horrible. There were water spots etched into the paint and a lot of rail dust. I clayed the car yesterday and it removed most of it. The are still some spots around the edges of the panels I need to work on. Once I get it all cleaned up, what should I use on the paint? Some sort of sealer? Wax? I get a lot of fine droplets of sap from the trees in my neighborhood plus the stupid birds. I would like to put something on it that protects it from etching again. I'm new to detailing so a little clueless.

I've been digging around on detailing threads on here and other places, too. Looks like it just depends on how often you want to fool with waxing your car. General idea I'm getting is carnuba is pretty but short-lived compared to some of the polymer sealants... Griots and autogeek both have how-to sections of their websites.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Collinite 845.

That stuff seems to have a Kreen/auto-rx like following on here.

Originally Posted By: BrianWC
Collinite 845.

Yeah, I've noticed that. I'll probably be washing often but waxing as little as possible. Although I love this car. It will eventually start seeing drive through car washes. I won't keep it more than 4 or 5 years so I'm not too worried about it. I just want it to look good when I want it to and be protected when I don;t have time to out effort in it. I tend to work long hours so can't always put time into it.

As someone who's tried more than my share of products, let me humbly offer this:

In the spring, I put Duragloss 601 on the horizontal surfaces and follow up with either 105 or 501. Then Aquawax (#951) once a month or so will carry you a LONG way.

Every once in awhile some quick detailer (I have DG #921 and Meg's Ultimate Quik Detailer, and want to try DG #521) will give it a really nice pop.

Then - when you think it might be awhile before you can give it some time (for me in Iowa it's called winter) a coat of Collinite over the sealant will last a long time.

Last edited:
You'd be surprised how much of a difference waxing/or sealant makes. Humid spring and summer mornings are primetime for bug splats where I am and my Si was coming home battle scarred every day. I grabbed the best wax I could find at Wal-Mart (lol) which seemed to be the Meguiar's Ultimate Paste Wax, and put a coat on this weekend. As a result, yesterday's bugs (what few there were) wiped right off with little effort. That alone made it worth it to me...

I am facing the same dilemma. I settled on Rejex sealant.

I will be treating my 6 mo. old T&C van in a couple of weeks, after current wax starts to wear off, and my Axiom the following weekend.

I do not have tome to keep waxing every month. Rejex will give at least 6 good months, and I can handle that.

Collinite 845.

because it works! Collinite is cheap (roughly $16 on AG.) Apply two THIN coats and look forward to long, durable coverage. Did I mention it works? :p

Collinite 845.

It does have quite the following but...it is very inexpensive and it actually does work
wink.gif

After claying I use the all-in-one Duragloss 501 and follow that the next day with Collinte 845 and it lasts for 6 months until I repeat the process.

Collinite here also. 885 Fleetwax witch is a marine/aviation wax for a winter coat and 476 paste for the summer. both are pretty cheap.
recently bought Optimum sealant and spray wax for the new car and seem to work well together.

I just used Rejex on the wifes brand new Mazda 2 last weekend. This weekend I am gonna top coat it with Mothers 100% Caranuba.

Rejex has always been top notch for us. I am super pleased with it. Has a 12 hour cure time before you can top coat with another wax. But you can wipe off the haze after 15 min. Just not topcoat it for another 12 hrs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back