Wax cure in the sun or shade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

irv

I just finished waxing my wife's Black Chev Impala with Collinite 845 wax and I was wondering, now that I am finished and the sun is out, should I move the car to the shade or leave it in the sun to cure properly?
It's not very hot out 22c (71 degreesF) but the car is black.

Last edited:
The important thing is to keep it free from moisture for 24 hrs. Evening/morning condensation or dew will affect future durability. It doesn't look like much sun is out from the picture. Plus it's not the raging FL sun going on either. The car should be fine either way. Probably the shade is better provided it's not under a tree.
smile.gif

Looks very nice! Now time to do your truck.

I prefer the shade, a slower cure of sorts. I usually do mine in the garage or under the carport.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
The important thing is to keep it free from moisture for 24 hrs. Evening/morning condensation or dew will affect future durability. It doesn't look like much sun is out from the picture. Plus it's not the raging FL sun going on either. The car should be fine either way.
smile.gif

Looks very nice! Now time to do your truck.

That's a pic from last November, SS. When I washed and waxed it today, it was overcast but just before I finished waxing, the sun came out and the car is currently sitting in the sun.
I don't have much shade currently, unless I park it on the road, but I just wondered what would be the best as I never considered this before? I assume all waxes, especially the 845, are not created equally, so I was wondering if you or others had a preference?
No rain until late tomorrow afternoon, if we even get that, so I should be good for the 24 hr cure time?

I appreciate the info, again.
cheers3.gif

Edit: Most recent pictures taken a couple weeks ago before today's wax.

Last edited:
I thought that picture looked familiar.
smile.gif

Can you put the car in the garage by chance? Collinite is so durable it might not even matter that much. The stuff was originally designed for power lines from what I recall. So that kind of tells you something about durability. With other products it seems to make a difference though.

Nice work! I would keep it in the shade. Previous poster had an excellent point about curing without moisture. Autogeek.net forums has some excellent advice.

Respectfully,

Pajero!

I thought that picture looked familiar.
smile.gif

Can you put the car in the garage by chance? Collinite is so durable it might not even matter that much. The stuff was originally designed for power lines from what I recall. So that kind of tells you something about durability. With other products it seems to make a difference though.

No room in the garage, unfortunately. My concern with parking it on the road in the shade are the birds and their cr*p!
It's bad enough when that happens after a wash/dry, but I'd likely try to wring their necks after todays wax job.

Collinite's was invented to stop flashover for line workers. It insulated, hence the name, against flashovers protecting the workers somewhat.

Originally Posted By: Pajero
Nice work! I would keep it in the shade. Previous poster had an excellent point about curing without moisture. Autogeek.net forums has some excellent advice.

Respectfully,

Pajero!

My wife is heading out now so I can forget about the shade. She likes driving her car when it's all shiny and clean but is especially excited today with a fresh coat of wax on it.
grin.gif

I'll do some further reading/research to see what I can come up with.

Thanks, to both of you.
11.gif

Originally Posted By: irv
My concern with parking it on the road in the shade are the birds and their cr*p!
It's bad enough when that happens after a wash/dry, but I'd likely try to wring their necks after todays wax job.

Of course there's a detail product out there for everything including the one below. But I know what you mean, at work someone put bird feeders right by the best parking spots. There's three of them that attract all sorts of varmints. There were even two wild turkeys by it this morning. I was so happy after this real bad storm that the feeder dropped on the ground. Next day it's back up.

My concern with parking it on the road in the shade are the birds and their cr*p!

Of course there's a detail product out there for everything including the one below. But I know what you mean, at work someone put bird feeders right by the best parking spots. There's three of them that attract all sorts of varmints. There were even two wild turkeys by it this morning. I was so happy after this real bad storm that the feeder dropped on the ground. Next day it's back up.

What won't they think of next?
crackmeup2.gif

Before my wife left, I went out to admire my work
wink.gif
and noticed some hazing where the sun was directly on it. The black paint was fairly warm/hot but I gave it another gentle wipe with another clean microfibre cloth and off it came.
I am curious if I applied too much initially or didn't let it dry enough before removing it the first time? First time I have noticed this personally.

To my original question, I did some reading/research but was unable to come up with anything about curing in the sun or shade.

I did however come across this very long thread but didn't read all the pages, yet, so something may be in there with regards to my question?
For those thinking about using it (Collinite 845 Insulator wax) for the 1st time, I suggest you at least read this 1st page as it gives some great info about its use and how to use it properly. When the OP mentions about applying thin, thin, coats, he is not kidding. This wax will go and last a long ways!
https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how...endary-wax.html

Originally Posted By: JustN89
Looks good! Haven't heard of Collinite 845 wax but it looks good!

I forget how long I have been using it but it has been years, as in 10 or more? Prior to its use, I had tried a lot of different waxes/polishes before I was told of Collinites.
Once I used it, and seen how long it lasted, I have never looked back. I do 2, or at least try to do 2 wax jobs a year on both vehicles.
The longevity of it, the ease of use and the protection it provides can't be beat in my opinion. There may be better shining waxes out there (that's debatable) but I don't think you'll find a wax that protects and lasts as long as Collinite 845 Insulator wax?
As a bonus, a bottle lasts a long long time as very very little is needed per vehicle. Like in the article, thin, thin coats is all that is required.

Stateside, I am unsure where it can be purchased, but up here it needs to be purchased through an online detail type store like https://www.oldetownautospa.ca/ or e-shine.

When I am ready to purchase some, (if not sold out, which happens due to its popularity) I am usually ready for other things as well which works out perfectly for me.

Give it a try, you will not be disappointed.
cheers3.gif

I just finished waxing my wife's Black Chev Impala with Collinite 845 wax and I was wondering, now that I am finished and the sun is out, should I move the car to the shade or leave it in the sun to cure properly?

Really sharp car … I rented one for a week and it was very quiet on road …

Originally Posted By: TTK
Beautiful car. Nothing pops like a well kept black car.

Originally Posted By: 4WD

Really sharp car … I rented one for a week and it was very quiet on road …

Thanks guys!
11.gif

It's, by far, the nicest car we have ever owned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back