watch jumping time overnight

I have a Seiko watch which normally keeps excellent time, but every now and then it is loses 5-7 minutes overnight. What would cause this. It is battery operated

Is it an analog quartz or a digital quartz watch?

The first thing I would do is clean the battery contacts and the battery.

Most analog Seiko watches should have a low-battery indicator. The second hand will move only every other second once the battery runs low.

Last edited:
Its strange, second hand is normal. I think its quartz. What is truely weird is I had to warranty a different Seiko for the same thing and they sent me this one which does the same thing. I wouldnt believe this if it didnt happen to me.

If you mean it loses time at night there might be a possible reason. Mechanical watches can lose/gain time when they stay in one position for hours. Gravity affects the moving parts differently. Watches left on a bed stand or on a sleepers wrist w/o changing orientation for hours can be affected like this. I don't know if quartz watches have this trait but you can test it by taking the watch off at night. Try to position differently several nights. Dial down, dial up, stem down, stem up and measure the differences.

It's unlikely a quartz watch would simply run slowly, so I'd guess it's either stopping for those missing minutes, or twitching without advancing to the next second.
The original quartz-analog clock in my '81 Mazda did that on cold nights after it got past about 30 years old.
What brand is your watch battery?

You said the watch ran on a battery. Then you said you thought it was a quartz watch. Just tell us the model number and/or caliber number that's stated on the back. Intermittent loss of power is quite possible with a quartz watch. A mechanical issue is also possible with an analog quartz watch.

Battery is low, temp in the house cools down overnight just enough for the battery voltage to drop. Warms up in the morning or when you put the watch on and starts acting normal again.

The watch worn on left wrist. At night I set temp. at 65 degrees to sleep. I thought the quartz is what keeps time but battery powered. Here is the watch

IMG_4413.jpg

It looks like this watch has a Seiko 8t67 Mecaquartz calibre. A mecaquartz has a mechanical chronograph gear train grafted onto the quartz module. A tiny piece of detritus could cause a problem. If the watch is under warranty send it to a Seiko service center. Or try cleaning the battery contacts and the battery as I mentioned because a poor contact is another option. You could also reset the module and see if that solves the problem. You'll need to take the case back off to do that.

Back