Wasted Leftover Oil in Quart Bottles

Reference:
55CDF452-DF5C-47B1-996C-6F03F6E3CA38.jpeg

After draining the leftovers from 5 quart bottles:
20CB8569-38BF-4214-83D7-5BBE16ED8924.jpeg

5 quarts of oil was installed rather “quickly” into an engine. Later on, I carefully drained the leftovers into this quart bottle. As you can see, there was about an ounce that would’ve gone to waste.

Moral of the story:

1) I still prefer gallon or 5 qt jugs. Less oil wasted, faster to install.

2) However, the amount of oil “wasted” by using quart bottles (and quickly installing them) really isn’t that significant.

it's not really wasted, both the oil in the engine and the one left in the bottle will be waste soon enough.

Or did you open an extra bottle to make up the level in the engine? in that case it truly is waste.

But like you, I like my oil in 5L bottles, and brake fluid in 1L or even 0.5L

I let the jugs drain for a while, so there is very little residual oil in them. Then I take them and stand them in a funnel and collect whatever is remaining into a quart jug and use that oil to wipe on tools after I use them to prevent rust, or for lubing hinges etc. Very little oil is wasted here.

i see 20oz of leftover oil in the above photos “after draining the oil from 5 quart bottles,” which doesn’t seem insignificant to me. anyway, leftovers can be used in a number of ways, e.g. an emergency topoff or firearms lubricant…

5 quarts of oil was installed rather “quickly” into an engine. Later on, I carefully drained the leftovers into this quart bottle. As you can see, there was about an ounce that would’ve gone to waste.
Is this some prolific revelation? Of course if you don't drain a bottle of oil completely, there will be some oil that remains in the bottle. You state the oil was installed rather “quickly”, and are now surprised there is a significant amount of oil left in the bottles? OK.

Is this some prolific revelation? Of course if you don't drain a bottle of oil completely, there will be some oil that remains in the bottle. You state the oil was installed rather “quickly”, and are now surprised there is a significant amount of oil left in the bottles? OK.
His post seems more like an illustration than a surprised revelation.

I usually let the jug or bottles drain into the engine for several minutes rather than collecting the residue later, and have often wondered how much actually is left.

I've wondered how much the box containers leave... The 5qt jugs work for me and I consolidate the residue into a leftover jug. Use it for top up, whatever.

I used to drain the containers at work no matter what size, I went many years without having to buy gear oil.

Looks about right. I have an older 5gt jug of M1 0w20 that gets the leftovers from the oil changes for my Accord and Civic. Doing so from the last eight years or so has netted almost 3 quarts recovered from M1 bottles and jugs, a mix of SN, SN+ and SP. I'll use it for a oil change someday just to use it up.

Last edited:
Way to not read what was written, again. OP said about an ounce total that remained in the (5) 1-qt bottles, TOTAL. Not the entire amount in the quart bottle as shown.

Way to not read what was written, again. OP said about an ounce total that remained in the (5) 1-qt bottles, TOTAL. Not the entire amount in the quart bottle as shown.
I read what was written. If not as intended, what was the point of showing a bottle 650ml full? Dramatic effect? He clearly wrote: After draining the leftovers from 5 quart bottles:

View attachment 118575

I always lay them on their sides out in the sun, or on top of the warm engine to thin the oil, then pour all that I can get out into the engine.

I read what was written. If not as intended, what was the point of showing a bottle 650ml full? Dramatic effect? He clearly wrote: After draining the leftovers from 5 quart bottles:
Did you miss the term “reference?”

Nope, but if you're saying the first bottle is one you filled up to 650ml and the second one you filled to 650ml and added the leftover oil from 5 empty bottles, that seems like a convoluted way to make a point. Why not just pour the leftover oil from 5 empty bottles into another EMPTY bottle? Or better yet, a measuring cup?

Nope, but if you're saying the first bottle is one you filled up to 650ml and the second one you filled to 650ml and added the leftover oil from 5 empty bottles, that seems like a convoluted way to make a point. Why not just pour the leftover oil from 5 empty bottles into another EMPTY bottle?
I disagree. Do you know how hard it is to show 1oz in the clear viewing strip of a quart bottle? I had a bottle that already contained 21oz of oil. Showing the before/after change (21 oz to 22 oz) is much easier to illustrate.

Or better yet, a measuring cup?
I am not wasting a measuring cup for this exercise.

Back