Franken-oil from 5qt jug leftovers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
When I was a kid we made an 'oil can tree' out of sheet metal and welding rods. This sat in the oil change bay at the Texaco I worked in. As we finished we would prop the cans (that's right-cans!) on the tree to drain into a gallon jug.

My oil thirsty car then was a Triumph TR-4 that fouled plugs it burnt so much oil. Myself and others used this method for decades.

My dad had a ESSO Station from '55-'79 and he did a similar thing. After every OCI we did on a customers vehicle, we'd tip the cans over into larger 1 gal cans(of oil) and collect the oil for those in need of cheap oil(or topoff).

Dad tapped a spout into the cans so he could pour oil into another qt can and add it to an old beater that came in, in need! It was free he said!

We used a section of a gutter. Ran it off the work bench tilted slightly and let the oil from the so called "empties" collect into a gallon bottle via a funnel. It was amazing how much oil would collect in cans and bottles, that would otherwise end up in the garbage. Nothing went to waste.

My F350 has been getting the "leftovers" from the shop for years. It seems to like it...oil stays cleaner and it consumes less than when I first bought it.

Hmmm seems like you've got 4.5 quarts of brand new quality 5w30 for your next oil change....

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Back in the those days, I mixed out of necessity due to lack of proper funds. So, I'd mix any 5 qts that I could get cheap. Often these were 5 different brands all being different weights(just to keep the ol'beater going).

That's pretty much the situation I'm in. I just reduced my hours at work so I can spend more time focusing on school when I return to college after a long break. Funds are going to be tight and It'll sure be nice to have a freebie oil change!

If you can safely install an oversized filter(I've done this too with several vehicles over the years) this may/would allow that extra 1/2 qt of oil, this would also be up for consideration. Otherwise, mix away! One OCI on mixed oil every 2 years won't hurt a thing
smile.gif

Do you or anybody else have a suggestions for a larger filter?? I've been using the puro classic L10111 and its worked pretty well for me. I've still got the one from my last oil change waiting to be cut open.... I'd preferably like to use a filter that's $5 or less since I do pretty short oci's. Another puro or a MC would be alright by me. I've never tried wix either but I love their air filters.

Originally Posted By: slowdime
Back in the those days, I mixed out of necessity due to lack of proper funds. So, I'd mix any 5 qts that I could get cheap. Often these were 5 different brands all being different weights(just to keep the ol'beater going).

That's pretty much the situation I'm in. I just reduced my hours at work so I can spend more time focusing on school when I return to college after a long break. Funds are going to be tight and It'll sure be nice to have a freebie oil change!

If you can safely install an oversized filter(I've done this too with several vehicles over the years) this may/would allow that extra 1/2 qt of oil, this would also be up for consideration. Otherwise, mix away! One OCI on mixed oil every 2 years won't hurt a thing
smile.gif

Do you or anybody else have a suggestions for a larger filter?? I've been using the puro classic L10111 and its worked pretty well for me. I've still got the one from my last oil change waiting to be cut open.... I'd preferably like to use a filter that's $5 or less since I do pretty short oci's. Another puro or a MC would be alright by me. I've never tried wix either but I love their air filters.

I don't know your particular filter as I only know my own and what size that I can advance to if so desired. Sometimes, I'll use the oversized filter as an option because I can't get my regular filter number and, they're the same price!

I hope someone chimes in with the list of optional filter #'s for your application. Also, keep in mind that during fincial hardships, filters can be used for 2 OCI's expecially when only doing 3K-4K mile OCI's. And OCI's can be pushed to 5K as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back