Waste Oil company scammers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've asked this question before but I still don't know the answer.

Why do people come on here and post obviously troll posts/responses just to get banned? Clearly sometimes it is the same person who has had a history of this type of behavior, whether you are that person or not I'm not sure. But what is it with the death wish act? That's the thing I just don't get.

Is it your only source of entertainment in life to be a troll?

Originally Posted By: Oilmanjean
I realize in your home state of California where i lived for two years you pay to recycle your farts so I am not offended by your ignorance.

I'm not a troll. This is a thread I started. I am in the wrong forum possibly. Not a troll. And yes, what to do about the waste oil bandits is my dilemma.

So glad to see that not one person that commented here knows what the [censored] they are talking about. The majority use of waste motor oil is what you are driving on every day. Asphalt. The price the waste oil haulers charge to sell their product has not gone down like crude. And no we can't dump it on the ground or have someone else pick it up. I was mistaken in thinking this is a forum for quick lube owners. This is a sight like most forums where "know it alls" come to spout off like idiots. Sorry I posted. D.I.Yerselfers was not my intended audience. Thanks for all the uninformed comments. And for those of you who use quick lubes/dealers/garages for your oil changes enjoy the inflated prices cuz all we can do is raise your price in order to offset this price gouging. See our problem is your problem.

Backup_200501_handanddisp-fig1.jpg

Applications of Recycled Oil

I believe this figure is quite old(2005 I think), but I somehow doubt the re-refining percentage has done anything but grow significantly in the past 10 years and none of those other applications have disappeared either. Despite the growth of that segment though and their non reliance on crude for raw material, the crude market still has huge effects on re-refiners and other used oil consumers. Refined virgin oil is their biggest competitor and if competitor costs and prices are down, they need to follow suit to survive.

I get the inkling there is a lot of competition in the waste oil market and low prices play a big factor in whom re-refiners and other used oil consumers buy material from. To offset profit losses during extremely low crude markets, adding an income stream and eliminating an accounts payable line sure makes a lot of sense.

Call Rowleys wholesale 800-769-5397. They should be able to put you in touch with someone willing to pay by the gallon. If not, post an add on craigslist...lots of people willing to pay for this stuff.

Well thanks for the name drop Boss Super Duty Plow. And yes if you are interested we can refer you to Waste oil pickup in Michigan and Ohio. They are charging for pickup right now. I think most locations are using waste oil burners to heat the stores right now. We know nothing about Asphalt though. But we do sell the oil to Quick Lubes and help them make the best decisions for their companies. 1-800-ROWLEYS (769-5397) I'd ask to be in touch with Bob K or Pat O.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
I think they use it as a fuel at asphalt plants maybe.

I didn't want to say it because I wasn't absolutely sure, but I think that's exactly what they use it for. Asphalt needs to be heated as it is processed and they use waste oil for heating - not for reforming into asphalt. Why would you go through all the effort to make asphalt from lower molecular weight fractions when there is plenty from the refineries?

Maybe I'm wrong and somebody who knows better will step in but I don't see the attraction. Catalytic reforming takes energy and reactants in and of itself.

I was mistaken in thinking this is a forum for quick lube owners.

There is a diverse group of people on this forum with a lot of knowledgeable people you won't see on other boards. There are trolls here and there but most are DIY guys I would guess.

Stick around and read some threads, you might have fun.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

I didn't want to say it because I wasn't absolutely sure, but I think that's exactly what they use it for. Asphalt needs to be heated as it is processed and they use waste oil for heating - not for reforming into asphalt. Why would you go through all the effort to make asphalt from lower molecular weight fractions when there is plenty from the refineries?

Maybe I'm wrong and somebody who knows better will step in but I don't see the attraction. Catalytic reforming takes energy and reactants in and of itself.
I worked for a shingle manufacturer who made their own asphalt. They added powdered limestone to the super heated oil. It depends on your definition I guess.

“We’ve found motor oil in about 50 percent of asphalt cement in Michigan, and that is the cause of massive amounts of failure. It probably takes off five to 10 years of a lifecycle of road.” Ever wonder why the roads in the midwest suck? And the "recyclers" are still selling this stuff to road contractors. SELLING. And they are selling it to those who heat with it. But we are paying to have it removed. Just sticking up for myself here. Like I stated earlier I realize now that this particular forum is not a forum for quick lube operators to exchange ideas just thought I would back up my earlier statements.

What is the source of this "quote"? I work in the Road industry in Michigan and am responsible for materials control and QC for about the largest owner in the state and I can categorically say that with no doubt whatsoever used oil is not incorporated INTO HMA as a component. Theiy are completely different fractions of crude. Asphalt cement (bitumen) the liquid component in asphalt is a tightly controlled, highly specialized product that is sampled and tested many times between manufacturing and placement by both producers, contractors and owners. There is no margin for error in its composition or use and penalties for noncompliance with project specifications are severe, up to and including no pay and removal. No one can afford to have a wildcard like used oil added to the mix and have any hope of making a passable product.

This. Some plants use it for heat, either primarily or in supplement with other fuels like NG. Lots of opportunities for use between drying aggregate and heating the drum to mix the HMA.

Not a conspiracy, just simple economics.
In an era of cheap crude and natural gas, the relative value of drain oil as either a feedstock or a heating fuel has declined while the costs of hiring someone to drive a bobtail tank truck around all day long to pick the stuff up have declined less.
If drain oil had greater market value, then some operator would come along and offer money for it rather than charging waste oil generators for pick-up.

I worked for a shingle manufacturer who made their own asphalt. They added powdered limestone to the super heated oil. It depends on your definition I guess.

My definition is the average molecular weight of the hydrocarbon fraction. Limestone thickened oil is not asphalt. It might make something suitable for producing shingles, but it isn't asphalt.

My definition is the average molecular weight of the hydrocarbon fraction. Limestone thickened oil is not asphalt. It might make something suitable for producing shingles but it isn't asphalt.
OK, just tell the asphalt shingles manufactures that......

OK, just tell the asphalt shingles manufactures that......

Lol I certainly would. So you think the shingle manufacturers determine the definition of "asphalt"?

Go ask ExxonMobil if they add limestone powder to oil to make asphalt.

You're confusing the colloquial term for "asphalt" with the chemical term. Asphalt is the very high molecular weight fraction recovered from crude oil refining which is a solid at room temperature. This petroleum product is used as a binder to make roads (asphalt concrete or tarmac) and other finished products such as shingles.

I bet your shingle company used asphalt to make the shingles, not oil. Oil mixed with limestone powder is going to be a slurry that would be wholly unsuitable for shingles or any other construction product. Since you said it was "super heated" then that is asphalt they are using. They are making asphalt shingles but not asphalt.

They take the super heated oil, mix in limestone powder, then drag either felt or fiberglass (felt is seldom used anymore) through the asphalt. Can't hardly be unsuitable if that's how they do it. The place I worked had two million gallon tanks to store the oil as they bought it when cheap. Those tanks were not heated.

They take the super heated oil, mix in limestone powder, then drag either felt or fiberglass (felt is seldom used anymore) through the asphalt. Can't hardly be unsuitable if that's how they do it. The place I worked had two million gallon tanks to store the oil as they bought it when cheap. Those tanks were not heated.

OK sure. Your company did it completely different than any other asphalt shingle producer.

Tell me though, if they were using oil instead of asphalt why did they have to "super heat" it if it's already a liquid at room temperature?

OK sure. Your company did it completely different than any other asphalt shingle producer.

Tell me though, if they were using oil instead of asphalt why did they have to "super heat" it?
It is one of the largest shingle manufactures in North America. IKO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back