Washing you cars knowing it'll get dirty same day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does a snow bath count? Bumper pushed snow(Transit so sit low) out the drive this AM and again back into the drive this afternoon and its -2. Pretty sure the undercarriage is packed with fresh snow. Can't wait till next weeks warmup to 32

Imagine if you took that reasoning with your teeth.

Why brush if it's only going to get germs/plaque from forthcoming meals and snacks?

While I'm not trying to compare organic and inorganic entities, I believe in periodic winter washing, even when I know more snow/salt is arriving within a day.

Originally Posted By: Malo83
Originally Posted By: CT8
Originally Posted By: dave123
Wash it once a year if it needs it or not.
01.gif

Lazy people never cease to amaze me,
crackmeup2.gif

Manufacturers build new ones everyday I want new looking vehicle I go buy one.

It's 50F and raining today. I rinsed off the undersides and door pinch welds on all the cars that have been in the snow. I did so in the rain. A bunch of salt and grit came off. While rinsing wheel wells, a few drops of water splashed in my eye and it burned. I can only assume it was salt. I'm glad I did what I did. As far as the paint / finish is concerned, just a rinse to get off the big stuff. If I'm just going to drive in the salt and slush all over again, I wont bother.

01.gif

I ask the rain Gods to do the job.

Originally Posted By: Malo83
01.gif

Lazy people never cease to amaze me,
crackmeup2.gif

Manufacturers build new ones everyday I want new looking vehicle I go buy one.

That is exactly why we cannot get anywhere in this world. Instead of taking care of what you have, you dump on it and get another new one. The labor, raw ore, pollution that has to take place on a new car for you to save 15 minutes and nine dollars on a car wash is just puzzling.

If we would take care of what we have now, maybe some folks could have time for fishing and travel instead of putting in hours of overtime thru the holidays to build you a new car that you will probably trash in no time flat.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Michael_P
It's 50F and raining today. I rinsed off the undersides and door pinch welds on all the cars that have been in the snow. I did so in the rain. A bunch of salt and grit came off. While rinsing wheel wells, a few drops of water splashed in my eye and it burned. I can only assume it was salt. I'm glad I did what I did. As far as the paint / finish is concerned, just a rinse to get off the big stuff. If I'm just going to drive in the salt and slush all over again, I wont bother.

If this isn't a wake up call to start wearing safety glasses........

I wash the Camry every few months at a $3 car wash to knock off anout 75% of the dirt. Good enough for me. Plus I get to use their vacuums and I don't have to pull out the shop vac.

I washed the Buick today with my new foam cannon on my pressure washer to test it out. Needed to take pictures for the Craigslist ad, supposed to rain this weekend.

I wouldn't do what the OP suggested because it would be futile within mere hours. I will wash if there's rain in the forecast and I know that at least one of the cars will sit in the driveway until it passes to preserve the wash job.

We have deicing products here in Colorado too that annoys the heck out of me. If it is going to snow again or melt within the next few days, I don't worry about it and tell myself the wax I applied before the winter will protect at least the paint. O once read that once the salt has dried on the car and is a cold garage, any damage done has already happened and won't progress. It is when it gets wet again that possible corrosion can occur again. If there is a break in the forecast, I will get out there first thing I can and do a complete wash and undercarriage wash.

I've been in the funeral trade since 1986, and back in the 80s, my job EVERY afternoon-evening was to wash all of the funeral coaches, lead cars and limousines, vacuum them out and clean the windows (and smoking was still allowed in the cars at that time so there was some nasty film on the inside of the glass). It irritated me to no end to see the cars get dirty every day. On Saturdays, I had the pleasure and joy of waxing several of them, in rotation, in addition to washing all of them.

At work I HAVE TO park down wind from a dirt parking lot...with the wind blowing strong (like today) I don't wash it until my last day of the week there or my 1st day off.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Nope. Why bother cleaning off the salt only to have your car covered with a fresh coat of salt all over again on the drive home? It helps nothing.
The only time I will wash the car during winter is if I know no snowstorms are in the forecast and the roads are dry. this means I don't wash my cars during winter too often. Doesn't seem to negatively affect the paint and the clear coat and my cars are rustproofed.
This is how I am in the winter as well. Vehicle is Krowned every fall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back