Washing machine lid switch

I own a old school Whirlpool washer. Agitator, pre HE. Does a load of clothes in 15 minutes without a hiccup. Only problem I've had with it was that it inherited the dreaded lid switch. I know, if you've got kids you don't want them falling into a spinning tub but I don't. And when the grandkids come over I don't wash clothes. Replaced it twice and finally just bypassed the darn thing. Very liberating.

I bypassed the switch on my washer as well (no kids). This allows me to rinse my sweaters after hand washing by setting the timer to spin and running water from a hose into the machine.

My brother and I used to play catch with lawn darts. You pays your nickle and you take your chances and pay the piper if the bill comes due.
smile.gif

eliminated the one on my washer also about 5 years ago...was going to replace it but the local dealer wanted $35 for the switch....in my opinion way to much for what it is

Ya. I'm about to hijack my own thread. Last house I had (4 years ago) had a top of the line Samsung HE washer. When I threw in a full load of clothes it would fill up with an inch of water. It would then spend the next hour "sensing," Balancing the load, weighing it, who knows what. It would finally lug into a washing cycle that took forever. Beating clothes on a rock would be preferable. When we downsized to our current home and discovered the aforementioned Whirlpool agitator I almost knelt down and gave it a hug.

Indeed! Agitators are coming back! I had a top load LG HE that quickly became a paper weight, it was so sorry. Water is precious here in Az so my new washer is an LG front loader. Clothes get clean and uses way less water than the Speed Queen I bought to replace the paper weight.

Yes. The same inch,whatever,of water is more productive when clothes are sloshing thru it rather than being beaten to death in it. I sometimes added a sock to that HE washer I had after the so called wash cycle started as a test. 30 minutes later the sock hadn't budged.

On the Whirlpools, try reaching between the top and tub on the switch side. You should be able to push the arm back so that it will engage.

Originally Posted by ripcord
My brother and I used to play catch with lawn darts. You pays your nickle and you take your chances and pay the piper if the bill comes due.
smile.gif

lawn darts were great, much safer than 5 lb horseshoes.
lol.gif

To the clerk at Best Buy in Kansas City 23 years ago who wanted to upsell me to a HE or something like that. The old fashioned pair with agitator, the salesperson said those promo units won't last 5 years. Still working with not a single repair 23 years later. Every nanny device deactivated.
spankme2.gif

Back