Washing machine drain/spin problems

BA5E25FC-CFF3-460F-97BD-25D99FF1EDC0.jpeg

Samsung top load clothes washer. Spin cycle will not complete.

Original post: I suspect I have a clogged drain hose or pump. The unit seems to not have a filter to clean.

Since the first post I’ve removed the hose and cleaned it out. There was dirt in it but it wasn’t blocked.

The water pump seems to have some sort of black rubber disc as an ADBV so to speak. It does not push inward. I don’t want to risk breaking anything and I think if I could get past that disc I could clean the inside of the pump— any ideas?

Space behind the machine is extremely tight and I’m unable to move it much.

Thank you.

Last edited:
My experience is a cup or two of water will spill out. A couple old bath towels should be able to absorb it all.

I’m not sure why I can’t add photos when editing.

Here is a view of the water pump where the hose meets it. The yellow c-shaped thing doesn’t seem to move. Inside of it is the black rubber disc:

C6AD5F67-CA03-464B-9365-309848402864.jpeg

I recently fixed a neighbor's washer and dryer.

I've used this website for trouble-shooting and ordering parts.

Here is another

Last edited:
I deal with this daily at an apartment complex. Many of the newer washing machine models have a lid lock. If this fails it can cause the whole washing machine to shut down.

good suggestion for appliance repair sites, BUT today often the cheep imported electronics that cost a lot fail + replacements are $$$. girlfriends front load whirlpool only 6 YO i load a week mostly needed a $500 controller like a car ECU, so she bought a new simpler top load for less than the part!! like todays vehicles more bells + whistles that many want can + do fail more than simpler mechanical parts!!

On many/most top loader washers, the drain and spin cycles won't run if the lid safety switch fails. This is a VERY common failure. Google it. I have had this happen to me twice. The last time it happened I just wired around the switch (which is a PITA to replace). Problem permanently solved.

Last edited:
If your washer is anything like the newer Whirlpool made Vertical Modular Washers, my issue with the spin cycle not completing was the shift actuator. The shift actuator has an optical lens built in that monitors how fast the basket is spinning and when it was malfunctioning it didn’t know how fast it was spinning, so it wouldn’t complete the cycle. $30 part on Amazon and 20 mins later it was fixed.

Last edited:
If your washer is anything like the newer Whirlpool made Vertical Modular Washers, my issue with the spin cycle not completing was the shift actuator. The shift actuator has an optical lens built in that monitors how fast the basket is spinning and when it was malfunctioning it didn’t know how fast it was spinning, so it wouldn’t complete the cycle. $30 part on Amazon and 20 mins later it was fixed.
This is why people always suggest buying a washer with mechanical parts.

If the OP washer is mechanical, it could be the 'timer'.

Thank you all.

I haven’t been able to get back to this project yet, and rather than being ready to kill me, I think my wife is enjoying the likelihood of shopping for a new machine.

My laundry room is tiny, accessing the washer and maneuvering around it is somewhat difficult, but it’s on the agenda for this evening after work.

I replace the same component about the fourth year of service. Easy fix. Simple design. Every component on the machine can be replaced easily.

I replace the same component about the fourth year of service. Easy fix. Simple design. Every component on the machine can be replaced easily.

Agreed, the Whirlpool VMW is a great design and easy to fix. The service manual is floating around online and it has the procedure to put it into service mode, just have to turn the dial in a particular pattern and it'll display trouble codes and let you manually activate each component to test and run quick test cycles.

Mine is a Maytag and is about 11 years old now. That part and a couple of belts is all it has needed. Very easy to work on.

For the first few years of the VMW the plastic pulley bolt seemed to loosen up on a regular basis and would cause an awful noise. I used a dab of gorilla glue and it’s been fine since. They must be using thread lock or something on the newer ones because my mothers which is only a few years old hasn’t had any of those problems.

Great machines, easy to work on, and not overly complicated like Samsung and LG junk appliances.

Thank you all.

I haven’t been able to get back to this project yet, and rather than being ready to kill me, I think my wife is enjoying the likelihood of shopping for a new machine.

My laundry room is tiny, accessing the washer and maneuvering around it is somewhat difficult, but it’s on the agenda for this evening after work.
Check for something stuck inside the gasket at the 10 o'clock position. I had same issue and had to extract a pair of female underwear, very carefully.

My wife insists on overloading my Whirlpool washer to the point that it barely functions. I’ve had to replace the agitator dog ears twice. She uses it as a hamper for towels and heavy articles and then decides “ I’m going to wash the bedding [great idea] but then proceeds to dump the fitted sheets and top sheets on top of the stored towels and lets ‘er rip. This is an old style washer, not the pita high efficiency types. It’s works great, but man she’s trying to kill it. Drives me nuts. She says it’s a “commercial washer”. I say it says it’s a “commercial STYLE washer. Doesn’t mean you can wash a horse blanket in it😤

Attachments

• 1F85C567-2711-4F13-95F9-FF1D50827B3A.jpeg
    1F85C567-2711-4F13-95F9-FF1D50827B3A.jpeg
    83.7 KB · Views: 9
When you see "hamper items" in it just start a cycle and add soap.

When she complains tell her "I told you you're overloading the washer, and you keep doing it."

Over time you'll be replacing the motor coupler more often than needed. It's hard on the transmission also, but I'm at 33 years on the original transmission and replaced maybe 4 motor couplers. The dog legs don't last more than a couple of years lately.

Back