Dead Washing Machine

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 16 year-old Maytag toploading washer, model HAV2360AWW, died last Sunday and I'm hoping someone on BITOG can help me diagnose it.

It started to make a rattling or ratcheting sound during the wash cycle, almost like something flapping against sheet metal.

It made the same sound, but worse, in the rinse cycle. It did pump out the water as it should.

On the third load after the noise started, it quit during the spin cycle. There was a faint electrical burning odor.

I unplugged it and checked that the belt was on.

I don't know if the agitator ever spun freely, but I tried and it wouldn't move freely. I got it to turn a bit, with the basket moving too, and plugged it back in. It briefly tried to spin and then quit again, with a stronger burning smell.

Today, I finally had time to get it out of the laundry room and tip it over. Underneath, the big pulley turns easily without any noises. The pump turns but seems to rub against some sheet metal. The motor pulley turns smoothly, but the motor seems to tip towards the back of the machine with the front lifted. I know the motor is supposed to slide back and forth, but I don't know if should tip like this.

I haven't found any online troubleshooting topics that sound like my problem. I watched some videos about opening the cabinet, so I'll try that tomorrow.

In the meantime, does anybody have a guess about what this could be?

Sounds like a bearing. If it were mine, I would not have high hopes, so your Hail Mary of disassembly sounds good.

That's what I'm worried about. The bearing and transmission stuff could add up to the cost of a new washer.

If the noise is from the transmission give it last rites unless there is a shop that repairs older machines. While any machine can be repaired it comes down worth.

I would advertise it for sale on a washing machine forum. That washer was made right before the Whirlpool takeover, therefore it is a "real" Maytag.
wink.gif

But not a very desirable Maytag, the real desirable ones have the straight vane agitator, yours has the "cork screw" agitator, nobody likes them because of the Kenmore/Whirlpool "agishredder" agitators. They are even worse with "efficient" less water usage.

Last edited:
http://www.appliance411.com/forum/

Go here describe it well with model # and serial. These guys gave me the info to keep my 25 yo gas Maytag dryer going. The washer died 4-5 years back. They'll fix ya up.
You're going to find that the usual culprits are where the tub rides or slides ect. There's often some sort of felt or plastic rail tubs ride on that simply wear through. If there's a belt and rollers involved those are especially prone to failure yet cheap to replace. Carefully look for scrapes rubs and filings on the ground near where the noise is. A mechanics stethoscope is handy locating these noises .
Mine died long ago from the tubs center bearing going out. It lived another 15+- years after fixing it. While you're in there give everything a good cleaning.

Originally Posted by Rhymingmechanic
My 16 year-old Maytag toploading washer, model HAV2360AWW, died last Sunday and I'm hoping someone on BITOG can help me diagnose it.

I know exactly what it is - End Of Life. Go buy a new SpeedQueen.

Originally Posted by stevejones
Rhymingmechanic said:
My 16 year-old Maytag toploading washer, model HAV2360AWW, died last Sunday and I'm hoping someone on BITOG can help me diagnose it

Used it too much when it was new

If it's the transmission, that will cost at least $400. Our Maytag starting acting up a few months ago and we just so happened to have bought a service plan from Lowes when we bought the washer. They came out and the guy listened to it but didn't look at anything. He declared that the transmission was failing and we'll be getting a new washer. He made it official through Lowes and the repair cost was $700. You know how much new washers cost....

This. And this is the model you want: TC5. that sucker gets clothes clean. https://speedqueen.com/products/home-products/top-load-washers/tc5/

Originally Posted by PowerSurge

This. And this is the model you want: TC5. that sucker gets clothes clean. https://speedqueen.com/products/home-products/top-load-washers/tc5/

I know Speed Queen moved away from their traditional heavy duty, regular transmission washers a couple of years back. Awesome to see they have regained their senses and brought the TC5 to market. If you are in the market for a real American made traditional washer run to the Speed Queen dealer before they screw up and re-invent this classic machine. We went Speed Queen in 2016. Great product.

It started to make a rattling or ratcheting sound during the wash cycle, almost like something flapping against sheet metal.

Don't they use a belt to drive the mechanism?

I prefer FL Speed Queens, I find the TL washers(with the transmissions) were too hard on fabrics.

I had to wash everything on Gentle Cycle. Also the strait vane agitator gets all nicked up, from buttons. The agitator is way to aggressive. get tons of pills in my fabrics. FL is the way.

Last edited:
I have one desire when our fancy Maytag's RIP … knob controls … no more smart stuff

Our 36 year old Maytag (a 610, I believe) broke some casting.

We wanted a front loader so I avoided the trauma of seeking a repair.

Too bad too.

The deliverymen said 36 years was their new record for age.

Using a circa 1983 Kenmore when my parents bought the house as a rental back then. I only use it every 10-14 days, but still, 37 years service is something the fancy new machines with parts made in China can only dream about.

I would also verify that the tub is properly centered (ie those centering springs mounted to the floor are doing their job). A slightly out of balance machine can do weird stuff, including overload the motor. Check the actual springs are tight and even at the floor. If one is starting to pull away that will cause an imbalance before it just shears off. Those springs and mounts are an easy fix.

Last edited:
I have watched a few, about things like replacing the motor and pump. Nothing so far has helped me troubleshoot this actual problem.

If it's a more involved repair like transmission and bearings, I don't want to get into the time and expense vs. a new machine.

Driz mentioned this: "Carefully look for scrapes rubs and filings on the ground near where the noise is."

There were a bunch of white flakes mixed with dust bunnies underneath. At first, I thought it was a mouse's nest, but then figured maybe a piece of grocery sack got chewed up in the belt someow. Is this the wear material you're talking about?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back