Washer and Dryer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
(Another) Washer and Dryer Thread

Dryer took the final dump and washer leaks.

What should we get? Wifey is frustrated. I told her to buy any model she wants, but wants some input from me.

Has anyone tried the LG "steam" units? How good is LG long term reliability?

I'm totally open to input. Places to buy, models, blank sheet right now.....usually we kinda anticipate these things, but the hubbub of life catches us flat footed on occasion.

We have a midline set of bosch units, front loaders, and they work great. We found prices online then got the local guy to match the prices, so at least we gave him the business.

You may be able to swing some sort of percentage off deal with black friday and all... keep alert.

I'm looking for a washer machine myself. Just closed on a house on 11/12. the washer machine that was left, it gives an overload code every time even when it is empty. I know nothing about these appliances

The only issue I see with LG is who in your area services them? The electronics and department stores don't. In my area the nearest service is 4hrs away. The usual brands can be serviced by a company in town.

I like my 3+ yo whirlpool duet set. no issues and clean and dry better than my previous bottom/mid level set.

I helped a coworker pick out a W-D a few years ago.

Washer was LG front loader, dryer GE.

Researching, it appears some "name brand" companies make models specifically for Home Despot (HD in the model # and a web search revealed only 1 places selling them) I thought steering clear of these was a good idea. She ended up buying from a local appliance place; Install was top notch since places like that have to cater to everyone coming thru the door and people on the floor may have a interest in the store's success. No problems so far. Remember FL washer use much less water and detergent.

I worked at an appliance distribution warehouse years ago and Speed Queen moved well. Looking at them, they appear to be owned by a company that makes commercial washers; perhaps there is some synergy there.

-T

Last edited:
Have you considered buying used? Remember in the other thread we had discussion on how the new models are poorly built and trouble-prone to the point that they are designed with planned obsolescence. The older units are better built and more repair-friendly.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
Have you considered buying used? Remember in the other thread we had discussion on how the new models are poorly built and trouble-prone to the point that they are designed with planned obsolescence. The older units are better built and more repair-friendly.

on the other hand you could be buying something at the end of it's "planned obsolescence" period.

We have had LG washer and drier for I think 6 years now. We have had to reboot the washer a couple of times by unplugging it for a minute or so. I think electrical storms and lightning affect the electronics. The fix would be to keep it unplugged in summer when not used but the wife doesn't like the inconvenience.

Overall, we have been satisfied. They clean/dry the clothes well, use very little electricity, soap and water.

We bought mid-line LG front load washer and dryer earlier this year from Home Depot. Make sure you get direct drive for the washer. (I've got co-workers who have had problems with the non direct driven models)

Passed on the steam and went for capacity. They work great and do save quite a bit of water. Interesting on how they work and how different they are from the "normal" washers.

I shopped and found Home Depot to have the units in stock (so I could pass on their "free" delivery and pick them up right there. Saved over $150 alone of this) and they matched the best price that I could find. They did have the best price on the washer but the dryer was $80 more than others.

Take care, Bill

Originally Posted By: Kestas

Agreed, find a pair of used Maytags. Mine are 22 years old and still going strong

Last edited:
If you want to go cheap Sears has a washer & dryer for $199 each on black Friday.

If you hate them you can get out of them for what you put in.

My Maytag Neptune front loader everyone says is a turkey but it's doing alright (knock wood) and saves lots of water and soap.

FWIW Top 10 rated by leading mag

Kenmore 4027

Kenmore Elite 4051

LG WM2050C

Whirlpool WFW94HEX

Kenmore 4044

Whirlpool Duet Steam WFW9750W

GE WCVH6800

Whirlpool WFW9050

Samsung WF330AN

LG WM2301H

Important note on front loaders. Do not use too much soap. Also keep door open wnen not in use

You might check out Consumer Reports. I think they have their 2011 buying guide out. Some people don't always agree with their individual model ratings, but their reliability ratings are the only one I've seen published. Also make sure when you research that you compare apples to apples on types of Wahsers and among brands. Some may make a good conventional washer but their front loaders are lacking in reliability. Also some brands have been reported as being purchased by other brands. Whirlpool/Maytag/Amana.

Some of the newer machines may work fine and do so for a year or two but the real issue is how reliable it will be in the long run.

I would recommend a Whirlpool or Kenmore as your first choice and then after that,GE.Whirlpool usually has cheaper parts too.I would also recommend getting a top load with mechanical dials etc. if possible.The computerized controls will be trouble,look at how many problems most have with computers and you can get an idea what a digital/computer controlled system will be like.

There is one area to avoid on the Whirlpool and possibly the Kenmore and that is the auto water level system some have.They are not reliable as far as that goes.

A top load is easier to work on and more reliable in the long run.And has already been said,make sure you get a direct drive.

You want to save some money, don't you ?

First, go to Post Office to pick up Moving Package it has Lowe's 10% discount coupon, this coupon can also be used at Home Depot.

Second, get on your utilities websites to see if they has rebate(s) for efficient washers(mostly front loads) and dryers(mostly gas).

Third, looking at sale ads of Home Depot, Lowe's, Best Buys ... to see which washer and dryer are on sale and also on the list of qualified rebate units of number two above. If Best Buy has the lowest price, since they don't accept Lowe's 10% off moving discount coupon, ask either Home Depot or Lowe's to match price and use 10% off coupon there.

I bought LG direct drive 4.4 CF front load washer several months ago from Home Depot for less than $200 (tax included and free shipping) after all price match, rebates and 10% discount ...

There is some works to get the lowest possible price on both washer and dryer, but the potential saving can be as much as $600-700 or more for the pair.

I thought about used washer when I needed to buy the replacement, but the used washer was about double a brand new one after all rebates and discounts.

A friend of mine is a repairman for Sears. He says the new front load machines will be too expensive to repair and most folks in the future will just replace the units when they break down (like most other consumer electronics/white goods today).

Pick a unit you can easily fix yourself.

My old front load washer was purchased on Sept 1997 when we bought the current house, it lasted until spring/summer 2010, more than 12 years. Since it used less water/electricity/soap the money I saved during those 12 years of use is more than paying for a new washer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back