Wash Pads - Tried Three

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Washing our van takes forever. It just has so much surface area.

The last time I washed it, I used a lambs wool pad on a pole. For the entire thing (I usually only use it for the roof). It was convenient, but inconsistent with my washing method to prevent marring (thoroughly washing the sponge after each section, and using different, dedicated sponges for different levels of the car). So it got me to thinking - why not just use more sponges? Which led me to looking into what kinds of sponges to use. Recently I have been using grout sponges, but liked that lamb's wool pad.

My end intent is to have four or five wash pads, plus a MF sponge for just the lower 1/4 of the vehicle. Id start them all fresh in a 5 gal bucket of suds, and after using each one, neither rinse or return it to the bucket. It would go safely on the side, to be washed out after, and used next wash. This way I dont spend time rinsing and keeping a single sponge meticulously clean (which does prevent marring very successfully), my efficiency increases, and I get the job done faster.

Long story short, I found that wash pads, vs mitts, were potentially preferable, and while Ive used different foam, chenile, and microfiber mitts and sponges over time, I figured Id give something else a try. So I bought three...

One Adam's 10" wool pad, one LiquidX 9" wool pad, and one Rag Company Cyclone 10" MF pad. The third one is not the typical short MF or MF caterpillar type designs. Im not a fan of the caterpillars especially, as the substrate is typically pretty coarse, and if the alignment of the little caterpillars isnt exactly right, there's the potential for rough canvas on paint.

I filled a 5 gal bucket with a grit guard and Meguiars soap at 128:1, and then pre-soaked and then pre-foamed the car panel by panel.

I started with the 10" wool pad on the hood of my 135i. Worked great. Better coverage than the grout sponge, better holding of liquid than the sponge or my old lake country wash mitts. Better than chenille or microfiber too.

To compare, then I went to the MF pad to do the right side. MUCH heavier for the same 10" design, though it is obvious that the pad has much more structure and a much thicker sponge/foam inside. I liked the coverage, I liked the cleaning action. The weight didnt bother me too much to do just a small car, but I cant see fulfilling my plan of having four or five wash pads, and possibly washing, drying and doing other detailing on two or three vehicles in a day with these. I really wish they slightly reduced the pad thickness, or made it 8x8 or 9x9.

Finally, I tried the LiquidX 9x9. At this point, it was quite noticable that this pad was much smaller in practice (as they shrink in a way when they are fully wet), even compared to the 10x10. While this is pretty obvious with simple thought, it was the feeling in the hand that stood out. Not sure if this is good or bad. On one hand, its lighter, smaller, more agile, and still holds lots of foam. On the other hand, the extra area does do more cleaning for about the same mass in the larger wool pad.

After, however, something was noted that was a little concerning. I had put all the pads after use on a piece of clean plastic. Each was laid upon the next. What I saw was some amont of small bits of dirt, in the nap of the wool pad, even after washing them thoroughly. The synthetic wool fibers hold some small buits of dirt tenaciously. If youre not super careful (one drop in the dirt could do the pad in for good), and look very closely after, the wool pads could hold dirt that is able to mar paint.

On the other hand, its so easy to see every little speck of dirt on a wool pad, due to the color and nap.

So overall I think that what I read about wash pads being superior, is indeed the case. They work well, they seem to cover and wash better than sponges (which Ive noted that I tend to miss a few spots here and there for whatever reason).

I think that the shaggy MF would be ideal if the pad was a bit smaller. But I am definitely a fan of the 10x10 wash pad. I think if you were going to use a method like mine, you might be well served to having at least one 9x9 for smaller areas like the trunk, but I think that the 10x10 synthetic wool is ideal.

Anyone else have a preference?

After that, CarPro Essence plus on a foam finishing pad, and I was happy!

When I was looking for a wash pad I checked out the Rag Company product you got. It holds a ton of soapy water and weight was a negative in some reviews. I ended up getting their microfiber mitt but I use it as a pad. Both products are made of quality microfiber.

Having a larger pad or mitt comes in handy when you cannot reach the middle of the roof as in my case.

I don't worry too much about marring the top of the van. Once big dope of soapy water per side is all she gets.

Any marring I put in is taken out but the bi-annual buffing she gets with a good cleaner wax.

The sides and hood I take more consideration.

Originally Posted By: danez_yoda
I don't worry too much about marring the top of the van. Once big dope of soapy water per side is all she gets.

Any marring I put in is taken out but the bi-annual buffing she gets with a good cleaner wax.

+1

Do this with my parent's van....

Originally Posted By: danez_yoda

The top stays pretty clean, other than bird droppings now and again. I’m nearly 6ft5, and I can’t easily see the top of the van. Marring isn't as much a concern there as protection.

It’s the sides and other surfaces, as well as quick, mar free washing of my other vehicles that makes me think about process. Speed is key when I’ve got no time, but I don’t want to compromise standards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back