Was Afraid I had Another Rat

When I was trimming down some weeds around the house I noticed a 2" hole under the chicken wire I'd put down near the clean out pipe 2 falls or so ago when I had a rat dig under my house to get into the cellar. As soon as I saw that I thought "oh no, not a rat again!", but I don't think I have another rat. It looked like a rat had tried to dig its way out of my cellar like when I would plug up holes under the house that it dug because it was a 2" hole but that must be a coincidence. I think it's just some earth that settled due to the plumbers not filling in around the cleanout pipe when they upgraded my plumbing to PVC several years ago. So I tamped it down and filled it in with new earth. I will keep an eye on that spot but I don't think I have any rodents in the cellar. There would have to be a new entry hole that had been dug somewhere around the foundation of the house, and there isn't one. There no way a rat has lived down there for 2 years with no water or food. I have mouse / rat food down there and nothing is touching it at this time.

When I was trimming down some weeds around the house I noticed a 2" hole under the chicken wire I'd put down near the clean out pipe 2 falls or so ago when I had a rat dig under my house to get into the cellar. As soon as I saw that I thought "oh no, not a rat again!", but I don't think I have another rat. It looked like a rat had tried to dig its way out of my cellar like when I would plug up holes under the house that it dug because it was a 2" hole but that must be a coincidence. I think it's just some earth that settled due to the plumbers not filling in around the cleanout pipe when they upgraded my plumbing to PVC several years ago. So I tamped it down and filled it in with new earth. I will keep an eye on that spot but I don't think I have any rodents in the cellar. There would have to be a new entry hole that had been dug somewhere around the foundation of the house, and there isn't one. There no way a rat has lived down there for 2 years with no water or food. I have mouse / rat food down there and nothing is touching it at this time.
A Benjamin pump air rifle is a sure cure.

I've got your solution:D
cats 2.jpg

Last edited:
When my daughter was in college in Virginia, one year she stayed in an off campus house that she quickly learned had a rat problem. The landlord's solution was a Southern beauty: open up a couple cans of Armour Vienna Sausages, place them in the back yard and then pick off the feasting rats with a .22 rifle. True story.
Add a 12 pack and a bottle of bourbon and you got yourself a fun afternoon.

Manny is well-fed and has no reason to kill a rat.
Not for food but cats often will kill things just for sport. I've seen him kill squirrels and leave their body without eating any of it, and also seen him eat the head and neck, and other times eat the whole thing and leave nothing but a pile of fur.
He got a bird a week or so ago and ate at least part of it, I ran over the remains with my lawn mower.

Not for food but cats often will kill things just for sport. I've seen him kill squirrels and leave their body without eating any of it, and also seen him eat the head and neck, and other times eat the whole thing and leave nothing but a pile of fur.
He got a bird a week or so ago and ate at least part of it, I ran over the remains with my lawn mower.
A hungry cat has to kill for food. That was my point. Nothing else. That our cuddled pets have hunting instincts that express themselves in occasional killings doesn't mean our pets, which do not live in their natural habitat, will behave as we wish. In 40 years of cat ownership, I have never had a cat I'd call a mouser. My brother has mousers at his ranch. They don't look anything like Manny or like my cats. 🤣

My Tigger is a minor lion but a mouser? No, Tigger is a total pussy. He prefers biting humans and dogs over killing rodents.

Last edited:
Back