I have a new unwanted pet, a garage rat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
WOW! The ORTHO trap with peanut butter worked on the very first night.
The instructions say disposable. Did anyone reuse it?

I reuse them all the time. Make sure and wear gloves when handling it. they say it's disposable so all you have to do is chuck the trap with attached critter in the trash.

Re-bait it and set it to make sure there's no extended family members in your garage.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
Originally Posted By: kc8adu
Originally Posted By: hatt
Need garage snake.

and the snake works for free and does not leave poison around nor discharges firearms in the equivilant of a toxic waste dump(garage).
a good ratsnake is in order here.your yl may not approve though.

I think this fellow would do nicely...

IMG_20110501_115355.jpg

It stood guard around our garage for an indeterminate amount of time...

Nice pine snake.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ortho-Home-Defense-Max-Secure-Kill-Rat-Trap-0321210/202526152

That is what you need right there; bait it with peanut butter like Rand said. You'll have him in under an hour. My garage had an infestation of mice a few years back and those type traps cleared them out in about 3 days.
Thank you! My neighbor started feeding the birds and that attracted chipmunks, who like the birds she attracts, eat there and set up shop at my place. I've been trying everything to rid myself of the pests, the "repel" spray, poison peanuts, moth balls, even some rodent smoke bombs and nothing seemed to work.

I saw this thread last night and went to H-D this morning to get a set. Baited them with expired knock-off Nutella I got from Big Lots and some stale almonds, then went to the movies. Came home to find that I'm batting .500 and the world has one less rodent. Trap #2 lost its nut but wasn't sprung. The sprung trap was in the back, in shade, and the unsprung one was in the front, and getting heat from the sun, so I'm speculating that the imitation Nutella was too liquid and let the bugger get away without having to pull hard enough to trigger the trap. Whatever, I'm dealing with 1 less pest, and since it appears to have been a female, I eradicated part of the bloodline.

OP: I reset the sprung trap and we'll see what happens. As it turns out, the chipmunk didn't even get a last meal because that nut was still firmly wedged in the bait cup.

Chipmunks, huh? Do they make a version of those traps big enough for squirrels? Not just the small cat(gray) squirrels, but the larger fox(red) version too? If so I should get a couple. Hmm

When you move past rats into chipmunks and squirrels, it's time to buy a "have a heart" trap. It's a live trap that works awesome. Peanut butter is again the bait of champions.

Easy fix at your local DIY pest control. We got a run of mice around here last year, it was terrible.

Some delicious peanut butter flavored candy got their interest quickly. I had it in special boxes so no other animals would die...

UPDATE:

Get this. I asked my son to cut the grass as I was busy with something else. He started the mower (electric) and next thing I hear is his loud screaming. I thought he cut his leg out. No, it was ANOTHER rat sleeping inside the mower. It jumped out and went back to the garage AGAIN. I checked the rat trap and it was untouched. I put some fresh peanut butter and repositioned the trap closer the the part of garage the rat went in.

What is going on? Why do they like to sleep INSIDE my lawn mower?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back