Warren HD30 listed as PCMO not HDEO?

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the Warren website their HD30 is listed as a PCMO :

Warren 30HD Passenger Car Single Grade Motor Oil (PCMO) is formulated to provide engine protection under severe operating conditions. Made from selected and highly refined base oils compounded to provide protection against wear and corrosion, prevent oxidative thickening and inhibit promotion of engine acids, sludge and varnish deposits. Recommended for all major automotive gasoline and LPG powered engines for passenger cars, pickup trucks and vans. Meets current API licensing Service Category SL, as well as former API Classifications SJ. Warren 30HD is especially recommended for use in automotive applications involving high temperature and heavy duty type service such as hauling boats and camping trailers at sustained high speeds for long periods of time. In all cases, the car or engine manufacturer's lubricant recommendations for API performance category and SAE viscosity grade should be followed."

I was looking at the Walmart super tech HD30 SL/SJ rated and was led to beleive it was a HDEO ?

Originally Posted By: y2k600f4
Recommended for all major automotive gasoline and LPG powered engines for passenger cars, pickup trucks and vans.

I was looking at the Walmart super tech HD30 SL/SJ rated and was led to beleive it was a HDEO ?

An HDEO is typically construed as a "diesel" spec oil for true large HD engines. All the majors make a HD30 (and some make an ND30) that is on the shelf. At wal-mart youll at least see pennzoil and castrol HD30 oils.

IMO, theyre only HD to the point that they are designed for use where applicable in HD use of typical passenger vehicles, pickups, etc. True HD vehicles have a vastly different set of specs than API SL...

Quote:
IMO, theyre only HD to the point that they are designed for use where applicable in HD use of typical passenger vehicles, pickups, etc. True HD vehicles have a vastly different set of specs than API SL...

Thanks for the info so I am guessing Delo 400 single weight (API SL) really no not a true HDEO also based on the specs ?

I would also say it's listed as HD because it's a strait weight(less shearing)and SL, boosted add pack vs SM. but not as good(less TBN and Viscosity,additives)then a HDEO rating.

Originally Posted By: y2k600f4

Quote:

Thanks for the info so I am guessing Delo 400 single weight (API SL) really no not a true HDEO also based on the specs ?

The lines arent that clear, but Delo is considered an HDEO, because Delo 400 is formulated as a diesel spec oil, for HD engines. Ditto for rotella, Delvac, Ursa, etc.

It has less to do with the weight and more to do with the market segment it is sold in, the specifications and certifications that it holds, and that API classifications it holds to make it relevant. You don't call Amsoil euro formula 5w-40 an HDEO because it is a 5w-40, just decause Amsoil DEO, and Mobil Delvac 1 are both 5w-40 oils...

It could well be that HD30 chevron supreme is the same base oil as 30wt delo 400, just additized and certified differently. Ditto for any of the other majors' products.

Last edited:
Looks like I messed up. The original post was regarding Warrren Oil HD30 not Warren Disribution who makes Super Tech (Walmart).

HDEOs meet a "C" (for commercial) API Service Category.

PCMOs meet an "S" (for service) API Service Category.

That's all. If they meet both, they're still called an HDEO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back