Super Tech 15W-40 from Citgo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ehi guys,

This is my first post, but I've spent quite a bit of time reading around here and learned quite a bit so thanks everyone for that.

Most recently, I spent time reading around about the Walmart brand of oils and ended up coming to the conclusion that for what I use my vehicle they are a good compromise of quality and price and represent a good value.

As I looked into the Super Tech 15W-40 oil, it is often associated to Warren Distribution. Warren Distribution is even listed as the manufacturer on Walmart page for this fluid.

Listed here are the specifications that a member receeived -> http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3309732/UOA_Super_Tech_15w40_18,308_mi

Since these things change without noticed (and also since I recently noticed that the certification of the oil vent from CI-4 to CJ-4) I asked WD for the specs again.

Turns out that WD is not the only manufacturer of this oil and it depends on the location of the Walmart. In my case, California, it Citgo that makes the Super Tech 15W-40.

Here's the specs I got from Citgo.

-------------------------

SuperTech Heavy Duty Engine Oil CJ-4 15W40 is a high quality, heavy-duty crankcase oil. Manufactured with top quality additive systems, this oil provides good performance in both diesel and gasoline service. Designed to effectively combat sludge and varnish formation.

QUALITIES:
• Superior detergent control of piston ring deposits.
• Excellent fuel soot dispersancy and oxidation resistance.
• Excellent wear protection.
• Excellent high-temperature/high shear rate.
• Excellent TBN retention.
• Used specifically for engines using ULS Diesel.

APPLICATIONS:
Caterpillar ECF-3
Cummins CES 20081
Detroit Diesel 93K218
Ford M2C153-E; M2C171-B
GMC 6085M
API Service - API CJ-4, CI-4 Plus, CI-4 / SL

TYPICAL PROPERTIES:
CJ-4
Material Code 661457008

Gravity, ASTM D 4052, °API 29.0

Pounds Per Gallon 7.4

Flash Point, ASTM D 92, °C 225

Viscosity, ASTM D 445,
cSt at 40°C 114
cSt at 100°C 15.0

CCS Viscosity, ASTM D 5293,
cP at -20°C 6400
cP at -25°C –

Viscosity Index, ASTM D 2270 135

Pour Point, ASTM D 97, °C -27

Color, ASTM D 1500 3.5

API Service Categories (recommended) CJ-4 / SL

-------------------------

I followed up asking for the rest of the stuff.

Last edited:
What specifications exactly are you looking for besides the ones Walmart publishes on their website? Do you think that depending on the manufacturer there would be different specs?

Citgo blends a lot of house-brand oils (Rural King, Blaine's Farm & Fleet, etc.) and a couple lesser known brands like Mystik.

They are quality oils, I ran Citgo syn-blend 5-30 in my supercharged Bonneville when it went on sale and it yielded some of the best UOAs I got from that car.

I use Mystik HDEO's in my '85 Ford (10w-30 through 15w-50 depending on ambient temp) and it works great.

Never have seen anything other than Supertech made by WPP (even in California), so this is a surprise to me. Can you post a pic of the bottle? Citgo's date/product code is in pink lettering, and the format is always the same. That should be pretty telling.

You can usually tell by the shape of the bottle and the stampings on the bottle, who the bottler is.

For instance, usually this bottle shape is made by one of the Warren conglomerates.
k2-_f1b56532-816c-4dfa-973e-b568266b83ca.v1.jpg

This bottle shape is purpordedly made by Mobil.
Supert51.jpg

I'm not sure about Citgo, as we don't get Citgo oil this far east, and Citgo might be fairly recent.

Good post, I agree completely.
As a side to another post in here. I personally am using Mystik 15/50 in my 14 Road King, produced by Citgo, claims a CJ4 and a semi syn.. all I know, (citgo also makes Harley oil) I ran a VOA on it in here, looks the same as any other oil at any price.

Rans two UOAs on it from my Road King, same thing, wear numbers are just as good and BETTER then any other UOAs.

Ill be posting another UOA on the bike by the end of the month using the Mystik oil. Blackstone should get my sample in the mail today.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 92saturnsl2
Citgo's date/product code is in pink lettering, and the format is always the same. That should be pretty telling.

How do I read the date code?

Examples:
5936C26815 J 1443 (Supergard 5w20)
13154O1035 D 15:42 (Mystik 10w30)
Thanks!

FWIW, the Mystik code is printed in blue.

I really apologize guys. This didn't mean to be a drive-by; I guess I forgot to set the email notification and time went by.

I was told that the SuperTech 15W-40 sold in CA was manufactured by Citgo by the Warren Distribution representative. When I inquired for the spec he's the one that told me that depending on where the oil is bought it's either made by them or Citgo.

I'll take a few pictures of the bottle tonight when I get home and share them for you to see... I was simply reported what I was told.

The 1 gallon bottle I got from my local Walmart looks different than the one that is shown on WM website which is this one

k2-_dcda50ea-32f4-4c48-9912-9f4a872dd2a2.v1.jpg

Again, sorry for not replying earlier...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back