Not open for further replies.
Delvac 1300s - Royal Purple 15w-40

Viscosity, ASTM D 445
cSt @ 40ºC 114 - 110.1
cSt @ 100ºC 15.0 - 14.9

MRV, cP, ASTM D 4684 19,000 - 21100

Viscosity Index, ASTM D 2270 137 - 140

Flash Point, ºC, ASTM D 92 236 - 224

Could somebody please tell me if the Delvac is more like a synthetic or if the RP is more like a dino? These oils seem very close, except in price of coarse. Thanks!

For some reason I've always kinda considered RP to be a "fake" designer oil, more about a fancy package an prestigious name than about what's in the bottle(selling a price tag), and this kind of comparison seems to back that up, lol. There's been plenty of other evidence crop up that it does not perform like other true synthetics.

Wow, I can't believe there's no discussion on this! Maybe I asked the wrong question! OK, here's another, as this just doesn't make sense to me -

I have always associated a lower flash point with a thinner base oil with more VII's in the oil. Here we have a dino oil that has a considerably higher flash point than a supposedly pure PAO synthetic with basically the same viscosity specs. I would expect the PAO, with a higher natural VI, to not need the VII's like the dino does, hence it would have the higher flash point. Am I wrong here? How does these two oils spec out so close in viscosity and the dino have the higher flash point? Thanks for any help!

RP has said they use Group 1 as additive carrier so that could hurt all of those specs. Maybe Delvac uses some Group 5 as additive carrier which would improve all of those specs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back