Gasoline engine oil in a diesel engine?

I don't know. I do know that oils like the Valvoline Euro 5W40 are low SAPS oils that are better for the DPF system. But as far as the technical differences that could cause coking on the new water and oil cooled turbo system or the new dual-pressure EGR system, I really don't know.

Here's the specific response a FCA representative posted to the forum. There were a lot of questions because the very first Gen 3 EcoDiesel owners manuals had the old oil spec info AND the new oil spec info in the same manual and it caused a lot of confusion. Keep in mind this new engine is 80% different from the old one in the 2019 and older trucks. The manuals have since been updated and now only show the FCA MS-12991 and API SN specifications.

"Hi all,

I do apologize for the delay in my response, as I was awaiting a follow up from our engineering team on this matter. I have been advised that diesel oils like Shell Rotella should not be used as they will cause turbo coking and associated concerns as this engine has lower engine pressure than previous generation engines. Please know that the Pennzoil Platinum Euro has moved to SN+ with new formulation and it has not been validated. There are plans to test the Pennzoil Platinum Euro SP grade oil as soon as the virus situation progresses. Please do not hesitate to reach back out down the road, as I am happy to provide any additional updates I can.

Mark
RamCares "
Basically FCA does not care what happens to your DPF post warranty.

Basically FCA does not care what happens to your DPF post warranty.

Hi edyvw.
I agree, FCA are just kicking this can down the road until it is no longer their problem.

It seems to me that FCA have already identified an issue with the 'new' engine in that the oil is coking in the turbo. Brilliant start eh?

Is an oils resistance to coking largely related to the quality of the base oil? Better to use a PAO or Ester if coking is an issue?

I just let my OM642 idle for a few minutes if it has been thrashed up the motorway and I stop for a cuppa.

The engineers that write the oil recommendation for owners manuals need to stay consistent with what organization they refer to is saying, such as API. By not, it makes them look ignorant. Using an obsolete rating is a big no-no. If you don't like what API specs, then come up with your own. Don't use an older API spec. if your intention is that you don't want the owner to use the newest, when API back specs.
Why don't you show what oil is your options. What is easily available to you. Diesel rated oils, gas rated oils, dual rated oils? Given what you tell us, I don't believe you need to spend an arm and a leg.
People who write the manuals don't know much about oils. The 2020 Mazda CX-5 manual shows API SM, but fortunately also says it needs the Starburst, which obviously could not be on any SM oil after October 2011, and won't be on any SN oil after April 30, 2021.

And they should come right out and says SN or whatever for those light diesels, when, as you say, the CF is officially obsolete (no testing equipment). I cannot import any oils that are listed for obsolete categories, so we leave off the CF from the labels and documents, plus all the registration permission applications.

People who write the manuals don't know much about oils. The 2020 Mazda CX-5 manual shows API SM, but fortunately also says it needs the Starburst, which obviously could not be on any SM oil after October 2011, and won't be on any SN oil after April 30, 2021.

And they should come right out and says SN or whatever for those light diesels, when, as you say, the CF is officially obsolete (no testing equipment). I cannot import any oils that are listed for obsolete categories, so we leave off the CF from the labels and documents, plus all the registration permission applications.
Is there dual rated oils in Bolivia?

Yes. People like to see it, so we have the dust rating on the diesel oils, but not on the gasoline oils, even though we use them on the small diesels that come in from Brazil and Argentina (can't import diesels under 4 liters here). But you can't register a SN/CF because the CF is considered obsolete by the API. The gov't rejects the application for import, so our labels don't show the CF.

Yes. People like to see it, so we have the dust rating on the diesel oils, but not on the gasoline oils, even though we use them on the small diesels that come in from Brazil and Argentina (can't import diesels under 4 liters here). But you can't register a SN/CF because the CF is considered obsolete by the API. The gov't rejects the application for import, so our labels don't show the CF.
Same thing here the US. You don't have an oil for API CF as it is obsolete like you say. I think the Dual Rating would be the way to go. Then you know it is motor oil designed for diesel engines, plus you have the gas rating like your manual says. The gas oil, not so much. Since your vehicle doesn't have the emission system, you can ignore all the warnings about using high sulfur fuel on those modern diesel oil label.

Same thing here the US. You don't have an oil for API CF as it is obsolete like you say. I think the Dual Rating would be the way to go. Then you know it is motor oil designed for diesel engines, plus you have the gas rating like your manual says. The gas oil, not so much. Since your vehicle doesn't have the emission system, you can ignore all the warnings about using high sulfur fuel on those modern diesel oil label.
Chevron has CF/SJ monograde oils.

Bumping an old thread here. Asking for a friend (honest)

A friend's Ford Endeavour (Ford Ranger but SUV body sold in India, Australia etc, with the 3.2 litre Duratorq aka Powerstroke diesel engine) was serviced at a Ford dealership that went and filled Mobil Super HP 10w30 - which is an API SL conventional oil and only API SL, no dual use spec like API SL/CF.

They then went and claimed

1. "This is the Ford recommended oil for your car sir"

and then when called out on that, switched to -

2. "We actually filled a Mobil Super 3000 5w30 A5/B5 + WSS M2C913C/D ford spec synthetic oil that Ford recommends, but we billed you for this cheaper conventional oil by mistake" (!)

My friend went and drove some 450 miles after filling this oil. What are the consequences of filling an API SL oil with no diesel spec published in the SDS, into a diesel car?

And what is the mitigation? I told him to flush the oil sump with a fill and drain of any cheap conventional HDEO before refilling the oil to a 5w30 A5/B5 or even a C2/C3 as he likes. (or he could certainly run the HDEO for a while before draining it?)

thanks!

Bumping an old thread here. Asking for a friend (honest)

A friend's Ford Endeavour (Ford Ranger but SUV body sold in India, Australia etc, with the 3.2 litre Duratorq aka Powerstroke diesel engine) was serviced at a Ford dealership that went and filled Mobil Super HP 10w30 - which is an API SL conventional oil and only API SL, no dual use spec like API SL/CF.

They then went and claimed

1. "This is the Ford recommended oil for your car sir"

and then when called out on that, switched to -

2. "We actually filled a Mobil Super 3000 5w30 A5/B5 + WSS M2C913C/D ford spec synthetic oil that Ford recommends, but we billed you for this cheaper conventional oil by mistake" (!)

My friend went and drove some 450 miles after filling this oil. What are the consequences of filling an API SL oil with no diesel spec published in the SDS, into a diesel car?

And what is the mitigation? I told him to flush the oil sump with a fill and drain of any cheap conventional HDEO before refilling the oil to a 5w30 A5/B5 or even a C2/C3 as he likes. (or he could certainly run the HDEO for a while before draining it?)

thanks!
No damage, just drain pan and refill with spec oil, no need for flush.

Back