Ward's 10 Best Engines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is a summary list of Ward's 10 Best Engines:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ward's_10_Best_Engines

What engine do you think is MISSING from that list, and which engine do you think DOES NOT BELONG on that list, and why? I'll start.

MISSING: Oldsmobile OHV V-8 from 1949. This is THE engine (along with a very similar Cadillac model) that ushered the "modern" OHV arrangement into popular use.

DOES NOT BELONG: General Motors 3.5L LX5. This is the "Shortstar" engine, loosely based on the Northstar V-8 series of engines. A 90-degree V-6, it wasn't inherently balanced and lived a relatively short life. I know this is said in hindsight, but it seems other engines have had more impact on the industry than this one.

So...what are your picks?

What is all the hubbub about with the Pentastar? It seems to just "catch up" with where everyone else has been for a few years.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Interesting that BMW has the most awards by a pretty healthy margin.
I guess WARD'S is never tough on the Beaver Teeth.

Nothing over analytical - just engines I liked:
60's Buick Nailhead 401/425, 70's-80's FIAT 1.1, 1.3 SOHC, Ford BB redo 429/460. Datsun/Nissan 2.8L I6, The GM 2.8 in my early S10 with the varajet and big port heads was a sweetheart and a runner. I think the nissan v6 is overpraised based on my huge sample size of ONE
smile.gif
I liked the DURAtech 2.5 V6 better in my 96 contour 5 speed.

Rochester VARAjet II spreadbore:
2-878H.JPG

Last edited:
The Nissan VQ series engine, the longest on the list since early years, is missing from the list since recently. Now half on the list are turbo and not the best from durability point of view.

Yes the 1949 Olds "Rocket" V8 is missing. I also have strong feelings that durability was NOT one of the measures in determining the best engines.

maybe i missed something here, but are they taking brand new engines that have just been developed a few months ago and then saying their the best engines? Is this a joke? They have to give it time to figure out if their are any design flaws.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I like that my N55 is on there.

And I'm disappointed that my AJ6 isn't on there
frown.gif
Where's the love - at least the XK straight six should have been on there
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac
I like how they had some variant of the Nissan VQ for 14 years.

Indeed.

I like how some variant of the Modular is on there 12 times as well.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
maybe i missed something here, but are they taking brand new engines that have just been developed a few months ago and then saying their the best engines? Is this a joke? They have to give it time to figure out if their are any design flaws.

This echoes my thoughts as well. Put 100k miles on them FIRST and then get back to me!

Well I lost all faith in this article when I saw the 6.0 powerstroke diesel was on the list on the first year it came out. lol. WOW.

Well I lost all faith in this article when I saw the 6.0 powerstroke diesel was on the list on the first year it came out. lol. WOW.

Yeah, I got a pretty big chuckle out of that one too
grin.gif

A new iteration of the Ward's list is released every year, and isn't intended to be a "best engines of all time" list, only of what was offered the previous year.

The 10 best of the 20th century is also provided in the wikipedia article:

BMW Straight-six engine 1968 -
Cadillac V8 engine L-Head
Ford Inline-four engine Model T
Ford V8 engine Flathead
General Motors 3.8 L V6 engine 3800
General Motors V8 engine Small-block
Honda Inline-four engine ED CVCC
Porsche Flat-6 1964 -
Toyota/Lexus V8 engine UZ
Volkswagen Flat-4 E-motor 1936-

Status