Generator shopping 10-12Kw considering Winco

Status
Not open for further replies.
My friends keep buying huge portable generators for power outages at there homes. I looked up one of them on the Generac site and it said it would burn 42 five gallon cans of gasoline in seven days and we have had power outages that last longer than that here ever few years.

Do you really want to store that much gasoline and keep it Sta-Bil ized etc.?

The only way to go is natural gas if you have it or propane. Diesel with a large tank would work but not store as long as LP gas.

These friends keep a few five gallon gas cans around. I said to one of them "Guess what your wife will do to you when you run out of gas and the gas stations have no power either?

We have a buried LP gas tank.

Winco is a top maker of standby generators. Better than Generac in my mind.

As you mention, get a clamp-on ammeter with peak hold and measure all your loads at startup.

When you get into generators that can power large portions of your home, they will go through a lot of fuel.

Get one that runs at 1800 RPM vs 3600 if you have a choice.

Propane or diesel is the best choice for a standby generator.

Propane never goes bad, does not gum up carb if not used regularly. You can store it underground with no big issues. It does have tank vaporization issues in freezing weather with an above ground tank.

Natural gas is fine until due to a hurricane, there are fires and they shut off natural gas to areas. It happened in Katrina and a company lost tons of food in walk in freezers.

Natural gas is fine until due to a hurricane, there are fires and they shut off natural gas to areas. It happened in Katrina and a company lost tons of food in walk in freezers.

crazy.gif

...please consider that the technology exists today to make very efficient engines and motors that run at a fraction of the energy required 5,10,15 years ago...

We have homes across US and overseas and use only DC motors, backup systems use DC to AC inverters.

Very little power is required for creature comfort and all of this can be built DYI. No crazy engineering or electrical skills required.

When hurricane Andrew hit Florida, we reworked all of our bugout places, homes, backups, friends and family and it took very little planning and very easy installation solutions to make it happen.

About 7 years ago we were looking at houses in Southern Florida. We saw some nice backup systems. The largest was a 40KW plant with 2000 gallons of onsite propane storage, all the way down to a 20 KW system with 600 gallons onsite. The goal was 14 days of backup.

So glad I didn't move there. I got to tangle with Harvey instead.

Skirted just North of us. No more than 85 mph winds. Lost part of the roof on my RV cover, and lots of oak limbs. Only needed the generator for about a day, day and a half, until power made it back up. Got off lucky.

I've only had to live off a generator for multiple days once following tornadoes a few years back. I was very fortunate to *only* have a 2kw inverter. It ran my fridge, the neighbor's fridge, a microwave, and a few CFL lamps. Due to compressor cycling, I learned the fuel burn was almost the same whether I cycled it or just left it running, so I just let it run. If memory serves, it needed 2.5 Gallons per day, which was a good thing, because there was no gasoline for 60 miles due to power outages. We had to drive out of state towards the end for more fuel. There's no way I'd want a whole house gen because of fuel issues. And, you don't want to be the only guy on the block with a fully-lit house every night after a few days. When the crazies get hungry, sick, etc., where are they going to go next?

I later traded up for a 3kw yamaha inverter. It uses roughly 2 Gallons over 8 hours with light loads, significantly more than the honda.

I can't image a 6.5k with a 7 gallon tank needing refills every 6 hours. I can't store that much fuel.

Buried tank would be the only alternative I'd consider, but only if I have another use for the fuel.

Originally Posted By: punisher
Skirted just North of us. No more than 85 mph winds. Lost part of the roof on my RV cover, and lots of oak limbs. Only needed the generator for about a day, day and a half, until power made it back up. Got off lucky.

Our oldest Son & family live in Katy . Don't think they ever lost power or water .

Best wishes and prayers for all those impacted by the storms & flooding ,

Originally Posted By: meep
I've only had to live off a generator for multiple days once following tornadoes a few years back. I was very fortunate to *only* have a 2kw inverter. It ran my fridge, the neighbor's fridge, a microwave, and a few CFL lamps. Due to compressor cycling, I learned the fuel burn was almost the same whether I cycled it or just left it running, so I just let it run. If memory serves, it needed 2.5 Gallons per day, which was a good thing, because there was no gasoline for 60 miles due to power outages. We had to drive out of state towards the end for more fuel. There's no way I'd want a whole house gen because of fuel issues. And, you don't want to be the only guy on the block with a fully-lit house every night after a few days. When the crazies get hungry, sick, etc., where are they going to go next?

I later traded up for a 3kw yamaha inverter. It uses roughly 2 Gallons over 8 hours with light loads, significantly more than the honda.

I can't image a 6.5k with a 7 gallon tank needing refills every 6 hours. I can't store that much fuel.

Buried tank would be the only alternative I'd consider, but only if I have another use for the fuel.

Is your house gas or all electric ?

Best wishes , :)

Originally Posted By: henni
Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3
I'm certainly open to other options but the main reason I'm shopping for a generator of this size is to provide enough power to have AC in my house during extended power outages.

If you noticed my post on running a Honda EM7000is when IRMA hit on Sunday, it runs the entire house, including 3 heat pumps, pool pumps, 3 refrigerators, router, modem, cable box, Sinewave UPS backups, LED lights, garage door opener and much more..

The key is having all DC 240 volt motors (Direct current can run motor, compressor, blower at any speed) on all the important systems. If I run full winter chill mode, I can cool entire house in 15 minutes down below 19 C and NOT exceed 3kw on the generator.

I have never seen a generator that outputs 240V DC. I've seen all that output 240V AC in single phase operation. I've never seen a DC pool pump, or air conditioner.

I'm glad your setup works for you but I guarantee you are running 240V AC. It is more efficient and allows pulling max power out of the generator.

240 DC would be dangerous

Originally Posted By: madRiver
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Diesel is the only way to go. Living off of one now in a real calamity.

Or else I'd manage my load so well that I could get by on a quiet Honda inverter generator. You'd be surprised what is actually important after a severe weather event, and it's not AC. Fueling logistics is most critical....

Diesel cannot be stored for extended periods as the fuel goes bad. Propane has no shelf life. When I designed sewer pumping stations diesel was only picked if pump motors sizing required it. Propane and natural gas were favored but there is a limit in power they deliver but likely way more then most homes need.

We are running off of diesel that was tanked when the gen set was installed many years ago. We just changed the Parker prefiter today, which was nasty but still operable.

Diesel logistics are far simpler than gasoline (dangerous) or gaseous fuels, including LPG. If trying to get a high rated LPG generator, regulators and tank surface area are considerations too.

Diesel is easily and safely tanked, transported and filled with no thought necessary.

Living it right now.. though sleeping without the generator to conserve fuel...

Look at the Briggs/Stratton Fortress LP/NG generators.
I've install 2 20kw units for houses, very nice equipment. At least a 5 yr. P&L warranty. One customer bought his unit in June and got a 10 yr. P&L warranty
Comes with auto transfer switch

Honda, Isuzu,Kubota and Yamaha all make premium diesel generators. They can be bought with large fuel tanks and sound deadening enclosures. My preference is slow turning 1800 rpm units. I've owned an 1800 rpm Kubota for 34 years and it's still running strong with close to 6000 hours on it.

Check out this site:

http://centralmainediesel.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back