Honda EU7000IS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just looking for some information on expected lifespan or real world experience lifespan of the Honda EU7000IS. There is a lot of half brained speculation that says 2000hrs tops, I have 7400 hrs on a 3 year old unit and I've had my first GCU failure, other than that it has been great. This inverter generator charges and runs my off grid home so it never idles much. The inverter/charger is set low and pulls 5000 watts from the generator to charge the battery banks alone. I'm in need of a back up generator, as my old diesel has failed. Depending on the remaining life span I will either buy a new EU7000IS or opt for the significantly cheaper Yamaha EF7200DE (cap driven not inverter.)

Any info is appreciated.

A constant 5000 watt load is not "low" the units sustained output rating is 5500.

120/240V 7000W max. (58.3/29.1A) 5500W rated (45.8/22.9A)

Dont follow this unit in particular, but 2000 sounds way low for any honda. I'd expect closer to 10K.

A constant 5000 watt load is not "low" the units sustained output rating is 5500.

120/240V 7000W max. (58.3/29.1A) 5500W rated (45.8/22.9A)

Dont follow this unit in particular, but 2000 sounds way low for any honda. I'd expect closer to 10K.
The inverter/charger made by Magnum is set low to only pull 5000 watts from the generator.

I think he means he has it set to "low" not set Low. At least how I read it.
maybe high is 10kw?

It may be low or the low setting for the inverter, but its close to max sustained load the genny is rated for.

It may be low or the low setting for the inverter, but its close to max sustained load the genny is rated for.
No one said it wasnt.. and in fact an inverter gen is the wrong type for that load.

inverter is efficient for variable load/smaller with peaks of high demand.

I'd also like to not put more than 75% max load on the generator for extended periods..

IMO: he should get a non-inverter gen with at least 7000w continuous capacity.

The Firman that goes on sale at costco frequently comes to mind.

Sweet Jesus I just want some real world data on longevity not a pissing match, a debate on who is smarter or how to do things.

this is why I abandoned this site for so long...

I really miss the old guys who were insightful and knowledgeable, I really did learn a lot from them and furthered my career. This keyboard ego driven is a bit much.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sweet Jesus I just want some real world data on longevity not a pissing match, a debate on who is smarter or how to do things.

this is why I abandoned this site for so long...
There's a couple youtubes on honda/yamaha showing extended lifetimes (IIRC over 10,000 hours with no problems).

Keep the exhaust/spark arrestor clean, change oil a lot, check compression yearly, check valve clearance, new filter/clean filter a lot.

I opened up the air vents on my two Yammies, to keep the inverter cooler. I don't have any idea if that makes a difference.
And you are correct in having a backup to your backup genny.

I really miss the old guys who were insightful and knowledgeable, I really did learn a lot from them and furthered my career. This keyboard ego driven is a bit much.
Could you please clarify Ego driven?

Running a generator at 90%+ load for extended periods is bad for the life of any generator.
I'd have to agree with @UncleDave that isnt a low load. But I figured you just left out a word "set to low" vs set low different meanings.

Go get the data from the unit with a test.

Best way to determine how much life is left in it is to perform a leak down and see how tight the unit still is.

You should have performed 24 lash inspection at this point and how much the exhaust is moving is a good indicator of how much life you'll get out of the top end, and typically its 2-1 top end to bottom ends. How many inspections resulted in adjustments?

The GCU is a common failure and was superseded by a new part 34110-Z37-A32. Curious if the old one was A31 or not.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back