Honda EU7000IS oil drip

Basically a rookie when it comes to engine repair or locating an oil leak. My knowledge stops at the basic maintenance which I do frequently on this machine. It’s probably 5 years old but only has 50 hours on it from random power outages at the house. The last tropical storm that came up the east coast knocked out power for a couple days so I ran the generator. While it was running I noticed a couple drips of oil from underneath inside the housing. They were forming under what seems like an engine shroud and never actually dropped. I wiped them with a towel and they eventually came back and again never dripped. Today I ran the generator to get the gas out and to see if it was actually a leak or maybe just left over oil from an oil change. Let it run and check multiple times and nothing was there. Once it got close to an hour I could see the oil form. It wasn’t even a drip yet basically a such a small amount. If I let it run longer it would probably form a drop shape and then maybe eventually fall to the housing floor below. Nothing seems to be coming from the oil fil or drain plug. It’s obviously a very small leak wherever it is unless something is hidden. Any ideas on where to look or what to do. I can upload a picture if that helps. There is not much room to look or work around with the housing. If I dropped it off for service would they even spend the time to find such a small leak or should I wait until it gets more significant. I’d hate to need my generator and then it has a much bigger leak. We need it for well water, and basically everything else. I spent a lot of money on this machine, more than I probably should on something that is not used often but I love it and it works amazing but I would thing a Honda with 50 hours wouldn’t start seeping oil. I use mobile 1 synthetic and changed the oil every year even when not used much. Any advice on what I can do? The last time I had an oil leak on my snowblower I took it for service and they left it outside for weeks until they got it and said yeah just a loose plug that’ll be $80 and then guess what it’s started leaking after one use again. Hoping the experts here can point me in the right direction.

Just check your oil level before you actually use it and, then of course periodically. its probably just left over oil from when you meticulously changed it even when it wasn't being used. When it's being used, oil change is probably due within a few days of running. Dont sweat it. just check it every time you fill up and concentrate on the important things.

Basically a rookie when it comes to engine repair or locating an oil leak. My knowledge stops at the basic maintenance which I do frequently on this machine. It’s probably 5 years old but only has 50 hours on it from random power outages at the house. The last tropical storm that came up the east coast knocked out power for a couple days so I ran the generator. While it was running I noticed a couple drips of oil from underneath inside the housing. They were forming under what seems like an engine shroud and never actually dropped. I wiped them with a towel and they eventually came back and again never dripped. Today I ran the generator to get the gas out and to see if it was actually a leak or maybe just left over oil from an oil change. Let it run and check multiple times and nothing was there. Once it got close to an hour I could see the oil form. It wasn’t even a drip yet basically a such a small amount. If I let it run longer it would probably form a drop shape and then maybe eventually fall to the housing floor below. Nothing seems to be coming from the oil fil or drain plug. It’s obviously a very small leak wherever it is unless something is hidden. Any ideas on where to look or what to do. I can upload a picture if that helps. There is not much room to look or work around with the housing. If I dropped it off for service would they even spend the time to find such a small leak or should I wait until it gets more significant. I’d hate to need my generator and then it has a much bigger leak. We need it for well water, and basically everything else. I spent a lot of money on this machine, more than I probably should on something that is not used often but I love it and it works amazing but I would thing a Honda with 50 hours wouldn’t start seeping oil. I use mobile 1 synthetic and changed the oil every year even when not used much. Any advice on what I can do? The last time I had an oil leak on my snowblower I took it for service and they left it outside for weeks until they got it and said yeah just a loose plug that’ll be $80 and then guess what it’s started leaking after one use again. Hoping the experts here can point me in the right direction.

Probably nothing to worry about, it is not unusual for engines that sit long periods to let a drop or two out until all the engine has been run again.

Doesn’t appear to be coming out of any tubes. Doesn’t leak at all when sitting. Didn’t even leak while running until it was running for an hour and at that point it was minor. Just didn’t want it to turn into something more. I’m going to go take a picture now because it would be tough for me to explain the location.

Maybe you could use one of those ebay flexible cameras (like a bore scope) to search around the engine and see if you can determine where the oil is coming from.

If I were to guess, my first thought is this is residue from oil changes.

As you can see, the block itself (other than the drain plug) has 2 places a leak could form. On the crankshaft or the parting seam. Since you say it does not like when sitting, I think you can eliminate the parting seam. Other areas include governor linkage seal, head gasket and valve cover gasket. Neither of which are known to leak on these engines, and might cause a stink if it gets on the fins.

I'll go out and look at mine, and see if I can find any seeping anywhere. But I'm pretty sure it's bone dry.

s-l640.jpg

Last edited:
This picture is from the very bottom almost center. Camera was looking up through the hole in the housing for oil changes. That’s how I spotted it in the beginning. The arrow is pointing to where the small amount of oil collected, I wiped it off. Next time I’ll leave it and snap a picture. Seemed like it was on the ridges. There is a tiny hole on this metal cover but I can’t tell if the oil came from the hole or if it just gathered in close proximity.

Attachments

• D317D5BF-184A-4756-A940-341C0D2901BA.jpeg
    D317D5BF-184A-4756-A940-341C0D2901BA.jpeg
    106.3 KB · Views: 94
At the risk that OP will not read this necroposting ... here goes:

The EU7000IS (now EU7000ISNAN with Bluetooth remote Start/Stop/Maintenance reminders for iOS and Android) has occasionally an issue with the Oil Drain Plug sealing washer. It must be on really tight or one must use a silicone or fiber layer to seal the drain port. All our EU7000ISNAN models are installed with QWIK valves (Now called EZ-109 on Amazon) and a small 90-degee adapter connected to a silicone tube. Engine Oil Change is simple, just open the side door and move the valve, close valve and close the door. No tools needed other than to open the door (anything with a flat edge, even a penny).

1624705753692.jpg

Back