Another top 10 engine list

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: danthaman1980
If GM could build a transmission as well as they can build an engine, they would already rule the world.

As far as domestic makes go, considering past and present, I would say they easily make the best transmission of the big 3 without hesitation.

As far as best in the world, maybe not, but I can think of many makes with worse reputations for auto transmissions that's for sure.

If GM could build a transmission as well as they can build an engine, they would already rule the world.

A mindless bash for sure.

Seriously, the one thing that GM can do well is a good slushbox.

GM always made good transmissions even when their cars were not so good.

RR and BMW used them until not to long ago.

Originally Posted By: Ewag2983
Sad to see the GM 3.8 on there personally. Never seen any hold up well myself. Would've liked to see the toyota 5sfe.

Working in a shop lets you see your fair share of neglected cars. Show me a ratted out, abused beat up piece of junk GM with a 3.8 and I'll show you an engine that's still kicking, and will for many more miles. I've seen them survive hydro locking, overheating, major misfiring (think fuel dilution) and severe lack of oil changes- only to see them snap right back into line with even a small bit of TLC.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

A mindless bash for sure.

Seriously, the one thing that GM can do well is a good slushbox.

I'm on the fence about that one. I know they made the 700R4/4L60 for what, 30 years? 1982-2013? The first few years (until what, '87) weren't great, then they seemed to get all the bugs out. But I don't get why some get high miles and others seem to break with some common failures (sun gears and I think clutches). I got curious and looked at DIY rebuild this weekend; sounds like this transmission is a real bear, for some reason.

I realize they made FWD versions and whatnot, and those seem to have held up; but I really wanted a pickup when I was looking, hence I was only looking at this transmission. And it was hard to not notice the complaints against it. Smooth and reliable--until it wasn't.

Of course, why they held onto that transmission long after everyone else was going 5/6 speed is questionable too. I could accept that, if they simply didn't break.

confused2.gif

^^^Agreed, but what people forget is that they made a HUGE quantity of them. Anytime you have those huge quantities the failures get a lot of press due to the sheer quantity.

And they don't all break. My Impala SS had dozens and dozens of drag strip passes with tons of bolt on power adders and never a peep. Even when I installed a stroker small block I kept that trans, just had a pro go through it. Worked well behind almost 500 hp also.

Frankly in our fleets the improved version (4L65E) seems nearly unbreakable.

Good point; I forgot to mention that they sold probably >> 250k of those transmissions per year for that 30 year span. Millions and millions of them.

This from WIKI:

The four-speed Turbo Hydra-Matic 700R4 was introduced for the 1982 model year for use in Chevrolet/GMC vehicles.

In 1990, the Turbo Hydra-Matic 700R4 was renamed the 4L60. Under the new designation, the "4" stands for the number of forward gears, the "L" for longitudinal applications (rear-wheel-drive), and the "60" is the strength rating (less than the 4L80). "60" is the relative torque value. For example, 80 is stronger than 60, which is stronger than 40, etc. A 4L80-E can handle more torque than a 4L60-E. The "E" denotes electronically controlled shifting. However, Since the 4L60 is hydraulically shifted based on governor pressure and TV cable position, the "E" at the end is optional.

1992 was the last year of widespread usage of the 700R4 (4L60).

1993 Camaro, Corvette and Typhoon were equipped with the last production 700R4's. The last design change of the 700R4 was an added checkball to the valve body.

In 1992 electronic controls were added, and it became the 4L60-E. The 4L60E went into service in trucks, vans, and SUVs in 1993 (for the record, some HD trucks had the 4L60) and in all RWD passenger cars (Corvette, F and B/D bodies) in 1994.

The numbers are staggering!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back