Wanting to try amsoil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: HBCALI
Originally Posted By: chubbs1
Amsoil makes some awesome products, what I really like is the fact they back them up like no one I know of. Look for Pablo.

Had a friend that jumped unto the "AMSOIL banwagon" for this exact reason. He had a newer model Ford SUV with no known mechanical issues - well maintained. Around 3,000 miles after the switch to AMSOIL, his engine began making "noise". Seems the AMSOIL was completely consumed in his engine and consequently he needed to replace the Ford engine due to the terrible wear.

The Ford dealer verified he had no visable leaks, or oil pan / filter punctures. Additionaly, when the engine was torn down, no mechanical problems seemed evident. In turn, AMSOIL refused to investigate the claim because the Ford Service Department couldn't provide the 6OZ sample (it was completely consumed). Even with a certified letter from the Dealership, along with the ASE technician report, AMSOIL didn't budge.

Could there be more to this story? Of course - I'm only privledged to one side. To me, it seems like a mechanical error is to blame. But after talking with Ford, my friend is sure his engine was sound. Just remember: No oil is infallible!

3000 miles? Not even the anti-Amsoil folks will believe that story. The main reason, there still would have been some oil somewhere in the engine. And as noted, the oil light never came on?

I don't like it when people make stuff up about ANY oil. I'm not saying YOU made this story up, but something is missing. Tons of people do EXTENDED drains with "newer model Ford SUV's" and have zero issues.

Sorry Pablo,
I guess I haven't quite figured the messaging system yet. Boy, do i feel dumb because i'm 25 going for my doctorate in PT and can't even use a forum right...oooohh well i'll eventually learn it. Pablo, so what would it cost to get SSO and ASM i think is the next down is it to San Marcos Tx.? I would get 6 at a time, but for calculation sake what is the cost per qt of SSO-0w30, and ASM 5w20?
Dusty

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DrDusty86
Sorry Pablo,
I guess I haven't quite figured the messaging system yet. Boy, do i feel dumb because i'm 25 going for my doctorate in PT and can't even use a forum right...oooohh well i'll eventually learn it. Pablo, so what would it cost to get SSO and ASM i think is the next down is it to San Marcos Tx.? I would get 6 at a time, but for calculation sake what is the cost per qt of SSO-0w30, and ASM 5w20?
Dusty

I PM'd you the SSO price already, well just before this post. Not supposed to talk prices according to the old Bob, and I'm not allowed to post pricing as a whole or lists, or in ads, but since you asked:

Amsoil SSO is $7.67 qt at case prices, or $8.10 at qt prices.
Amsoil ASM is $6.91 qt at case prices, or $7.30 at qt prices.

Yea, there's something fishy about that story. The oil pickup does not go to the bottom of the pan. Even if it had used enough to seize, there would be something on the order of 1/2 to 1 quart left in the pan. The only way to have
Ed

Never heard of needing to top off 4-6 quarts after a 3000 OCI.

Perhaps, vandal, vendetta, sabotage, prank...frenemy?

Cuz, no leak or ring wear.

36.gif

Originally Posted By: casperfun
Never heard of needing to top off 4-6 quarts after a 3000 OCI.

I'd scrap the POS.

I've used Amsoil for awhile. I couldn't convince myself to extend my intervals. I use there gear oil, transmission oil, oil for my lawn mower and even for my air compressor.

I have heard nothing but good things
about the 10w30 ATM....would be fine
for your vehicle & location. I would
stay with a 30wt, if it were me. Let
us know your impressions of the new
oil, whatever it is, vs the RP.

jringo

Amsoil makes some awesome products, what I really like is the fact they back them up like no one I know of. Look for Pablo.

Had a friend that jumped unto the "AMSOIL banwagon" for this exact reason. He had a newer model Ford SUV with no known mechanical issues - well maintained. Around 3,000 miles after the switch to AMSOIL, his engine began making "noise". Seems the AMSOIL was completely consumed in his engine and consequently he needed to replace the Ford engine due to the terrible wear.

The Ford dealer verified he had no visable leaks, or oil pan / filter punctures. Additionaly, when the engine was torn down, no mechanical problems seemed evident. In turn, AMSOIL refused to investigate the claim because the Ford Service Department couldn't provide the 6OZ sample (it was completely consumed). Even with a certified letter from the Dealership, along with the ASE technician report, AMSOIL didn't budge.

Could there be more to this story? Of course - I'm only privledged to one side. To me, it seems like a mechanical error is to blame. But after talking with Ford, my friend is sure his engine was sound. Just remember: No oil is infallible!

Knowing Ford,I`d go with mechanical failure 100%. Same thing happened to my friend`s wife`s brand new Escape. Engine went to pieces and had to be completely replaced under warranty. Only oil used was dealer changed Motorcraft. Then the rear diff on his brand new Mustang fell apart. That too replaced under warranty. So no,Amsoil was not to blame whatsoever.

Hmmm.....

The Ford dealer couldn't provide a 6 oz. sample, there was NO oil in the sump, massive amounts of top off oil, and only 3,000 miles of use.

That isn't an oil failure, that's a bad prank/vandalism gone wrong.

If the engine had no leaks and was consuming that much oil, the plugs would have been so fouled the engine wouldn't run. The owner would have had "Spy Hunter" blue/white smoke from the tail pipes, and a low oil light/warning. He would have also had low oil pressure when the level dropped below the oil pickup tube.

No way this is a failure of ANY lubricant used in that engine.

kkreit01 said:
^ Sounds like a nice "story".

Look, I dont take offense to your disbelief, you don't know me from Adam and probably like AMSOIL. But if I wanted to tell "stories" I'd read a book to my nephew.

I hear you. I hate to get ppl who just throw out your a liar for no real reason. If I was in the same room with someone and they called me a liar to my face, we may have an issue Brother. The internet can make the faintest jaw tough. I know some ppl may have alterior motives talking about oil, but not everyone does, its not like he said the company told him to die they just did not honor what they said. Happens all the time, I can believe that.

simmer down.... my interest in a product shouldn't have sparked these attacks....which aren't worth posting because you probably will never meet the "other guy"....... life is WAY to short to be attacking each other on a forum. Go enjoy your family and friends and don't less an attack on an internet forum bother you.
Dusty

I too don't buy this story. Sounds like something in the engine failed or not enough oil was put in from the first place.

Originally Posted By: Artem

I too don't buy this story. Sounds like something in the engine failed or not enough oil was put in from the first place.

I agree, there was something very seriously wrong somewhere inside that Engine, not with the oil.

Amsoil and Royal Purple are the two primary oils I have used in all our vehicles, including the boat engine, which gets lots of abuse when water skiing. The pickup engine and tranny both get severe service when towing the boat up the hills here in Coloado. It's got 180k+ and still runs smooth with no oil consumption.

I order Amsoil by the case, 5w30 (ASL) in the winter and 10w30(ATM) in the summer, which comes to a little over $8 a quart including shipping.

There’s an Amsoil warehouse in Dallas, but that’s probably too far, just to pickup oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back