Want To Try 30wt oils for the 1st time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: SirTanon
Originally Posted By: Chris142
People in las vegas and phoenix,az are running 20,s when its 120f out.you will be fine.

This.

I live in Phoenix, and we've had highs this summer between 102 and 112 every day for the past 30 days. My daily driver (2010 Fusion 2.5) specs 5w20, and I run a mix of 5w20 and 5w30 with no problems. I suspect the 5w30 is mostly shearing down to 5w20 anyways.

This car has over 200,000 miles on this, with no problems. You'll be fine.

I wasn't aware that Ford designed the Mitsubishi derived engine in the OP's Proton...

Well I've just learned something for the day.

Shannow, I usually take you to be a very considered person in these discussions. I was not inferring that, and I think you know it. I was backing up what Chris142 said about people in Phoenix running 5w20 oil in 120F heat.

Your point is taken, of course - These are not the same engines.. and I can't say I know much about the Proton engine, so I may be comparing apples to oranges, but I think what Chris said is still valid. Even an engine with high miles in extreme heat can run fine with lightweight oil - If a 20 weight works in this heat, then a 30 weight should as well.

It's a good thing Merk chimed in on this thread. He's well versed in running ILSAC rated 30s in all kinds of stuff.
wink.gif

A sensible 10w-30 or 5w-30 would certainly be fine, in my view, assuming there are no other issues that a heavier lube is trying to cover.

So a 30 meeting A3/B4, or a 40 meeting same will likely put you where the OEM thought you needed to be with the oils of the day.

That's a good suggestion, I will be scouting for 30wts with these approvals.

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,
alcyon - You seek to use a 5W-30 multigrade lubricant? This Mitsubishi derived engine will handle this viscosity well and IMHO Shell's HX7 would be a great starting point

Yes the HX-7 5W30 API SN is really easy to get over here. I will study the spec sheets.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,
alcyon - You seek to use a 5W-30 multigrade lubricant? This Mitsubishi derived engine will handle this viscosity well and IMHO Shell's HX7 would be a great starting point

as a clarification..the engine is not a mitsubishi derived unit..it is from mitsubishi. Its the rest of the car that is derived.

Originally Posted By: Garak
It's a good thing Merk chimed in on this thread. He's well versed in running ILSAC rated 30s in all kinds of stuff.
wink.gif

I need to find me a full synthetic, non-ILSAC, non-diesel 30 weight.
grin2.gif

Update. I have finally swapped out my m1 0w40 last night and switched to prestone 10w30 acea a3/b4 oil api sm. Just tested the car a few moments ago ..the ambient temp is about 37C and the oil temp peaked out at 96C before going down to 92C when i parked in an underground parking lot. At 96 C the oil temp at idle 1000rpm with air cond on oil pressure was 14psi. Definitely a drop of about 4psi from 5w40 or 0w40. I guess this 10w30 might have a 100C cst of 11.5 vs the 0w40 of 13.1. I am just a tad worried about this prestone oil and will do a UOA when at 10000km just to see how the viscosity..wear numbers and TBN is holding up. Though the oil pressure is lower the engine is as silent and smooth as the M1 or Shell Helix Ultra 5W40.the oil pressure rise is also not 10psi per 500rpm anymore. The engine also feels a little bit more "lighter"(less resistance).After i swap out this oil i will try PYB straight 30 and hoping to find higher oil pressure than this 10w30.

Last edited:
Oil operating viscosities (be it of engines, power trains or hydrostatic systems etc), and by extension operating temperatures in respect of oil viscosity grades in use, used to be first and foremost ,the determining criteria in selection of oil viscosity grades in achieving its fundamental role of wear protections through MOFT.
I wonder at times, since when ...... has oil operating pressures substituted oil operating viscosities in MOFT and wear protection ??
confused.gif

JMH Observations.
blush.gif

Originally Posted By: zeng
Oil operating viscosities (be it of engines, power trains or hydrostatic systems etc), and by extension operating temperatures in respect of oil viscosity grades in use, used to be first and foremost ,the determining criteria in selection of oil viscosity grades in achieving its fundamental role of wear protections through MOFT.
I wonder at times, since when ...... has oil operating pressures substituted oil operating viscosities in MOFT and wear protection ??
confused.gif

JMH Observations.
blush.gif

Always has an will (should) be that viscosity was chosen as a design parameter, with the local loads, speeds, diameters, clearances, and lengths as parameters also.

Pressure is supply for it to do it's job, not an end to itself.

Pressure, in an IC engine has to get the lube across the main bearing groove, and into the big end, in sufficient quantities to do the job there also.

Agreed. Pressure is partly a function of the restriction to flow which is what viscosity is. One can have perfectly acceptable wear protection at a lower pressure since the flow is less restrictive and therefore more oil moving thru the pressure areas at a given temp. Some do seem to look at pressure as a sole condition of what is acceptable. It has to be balanced with the viscosity in question. I get lower pressures using a 10w30 in my Detroit 12.7L engine than with a 5w40 or 15w40, yet, UOA's show actually the 10w30 doing as good or in some cases better than the 40w oils.

I have run engines for tens of thousands of miles with 4~6 psi hot at idle. Not much of anything critical is happening then. Same engines made 40 psi at operating RPM at temp on a hot summer day pulling - good enough ...
smile.gif

Yeah, they were older somewhat tired engines - but they refused to die. Taught me that pressure was not an end goal in and of itself. Enough oil in the right places is the goal. Pressure is an artifact of system operation ...

Originally Posted By: LubeLuke
Originally Posted By: Miller88
I think it's a reasonable thought to run a 30 grade oil. However, I'm guessing there are some here that will advise you to stick with the 20w50 or go even heavier.

You've posted that same comment many times in many threads...got any names ?

If you read what he actually said you will see that he is "guessing there are some here that will advise you to stick with the 20w50 or go even heavier.". If he is only guessing then why would he have names?

The oil that i use in my Ford Capri is the same as what a friend of the OP is using in his proton saga, apparently he has bad varnish issues, would i advise him to use it in his? never

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
I have run engines for tens of thousands of miles with 4~6 psi hot at idle. Not much of anything critical is happening then. Same engines made 40 psi at operating RPM at temp on a hot summer day pulling - good enough ...
smile.gif

Yeah, they were older somewhat tired engines - but they refused to die. Taught me that pressure was not an end goal in and of itself. Enough oil in the right places is the goal. Pressure is an artifact of system operation ...

Exactly. Hence 14 psi at hot idle being plenty to reach the rotest parts.

4 psi would be low to me as it could trigger the low pressure warning (0.3 bar or around 5 psi) and I don't have a pressure gauge. But as long as that doesn't happen at any time, I'm happy.

Cool, thanks for the peace of mind, I am still old school though. I will try to keep oil temps lower for this oil. The rise in oil pressure seems pretty good though. I am able to get 50PSI at 2500rpm at 90C bulk oil temp. with 5W-40 I get 60psi at same parameters.
I wonder if the PYB straight 30 will yield noticeably higher oil pressure.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
Agreed. Pressure is partly a function of the restriction to flow which is what viscosity is. One can have perfectly acceptable wear protection at a lower pressure since the flow is less restrictive and therefore more oil moving thru the pressure areas at a given temp.

Not quite the way that it works...oil in the bearings build their own temperature, not carry heat away from rods and the like...actually, they heat the big ends rather than cool.

Quote:
One can have perfectly acceptable wear protection at a lower pressure since the flow is less restrictive and therefore more oil moving thru the pressure areas at a given temp.

At lower operating pressure, surely there can't be 'more' oil flow , given the reduced power input to the oil pump drawn from crankshaft.
JMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back