Want nice ratchet

Status
Not open for further replies.
School me on ratchets. I have what I always thought was a nice set of Craftsman tools I bought in 1981 and for no more than I use them they have served me well. How ever I was over at a neighbors helping him put new shoes on his blower I couldn't help but notice what a nice ratchet I was using. It was a snap on but I really don't want to spend a ton of money, like I said I don't use them that much. This is more of a want than need.

It seemed like it was a lot smoother/tighter and had shorter clicks, hard to describe but I'd like to get a 3/8 and maybe a 1/4 drive. I don't think mine were ever like that.

I know you get what you pay for but are there any hidden gems for say 20?

Sounds like you're just looking for a fine tooth ratchet. Gearwrench or Harbor Freight should have decent ones available in the $20-30 range.

Originally Posted By: Duffyjr

I know you get what you pay for but are there any hidden gems for say 20?

Unless you get lucky and find a closeout or a discontinued ratchet, you won't find a good name-brand one for that price.
However, you might hit the pawn shops or garage sales and find something that you like. If you DO get a new one, disassemble it and put a little dab of great inside the gears. I can't stand the sound or the feel of a new ratchet that has been assembled dry.

Craftsman thin profile ratchets have 84 teeth and quick release button. They are regular price around $35.

The basic Craftsman ratchet has been recently updated to 75 teeth design and is $25 regular price in store. Much better than their previous offerings.

Last edited:
Craftsman ratchet that is made in the USA is an upgrade from their made in China one and has a nice feel.

The main ratchet I use is a Powrcraft (Montgomery Wards).

But I do have the USA Craftsman.

I'm just about the same. Bought a bunch of USA made Craftsman tools back in the early 80's and used them both for home and some industrial work. I have broken exactly 1 Craftsman socket in those last 35 years and that was from abuse to the tool. The wrenches are not "full polish" if that matters to you.

I wanted a long 3/8 drive, and wanted to buy USA so I bought a Snap-On. This is the first Snap-On tool I have ever owned. Very expensive at over $100, but absolutely perfect in every way. Now I notice how loose my craftsman ratchets have gotten. And how coarse the teeth are. They were probably a lot looser than the Snap-On when new but I don't remember.

Bottom line for me: If I could buy USA made Craftsman of comparable quality to what I have, I would do so without hesitation. For me, even working as an industrial mechanic, I don't need anything as good as Snap-On. Perfect, but I can't justify the price. I would have to mortgage my house to replace all my tools with new Snap-On. You can probably get a good deal on used ones on craigslist if you're willing to buy out a retiring mechanic.

I have bought a number of sockets and wrenches recently, mostly the NAPA Carlyle brand made in Taiwan. They are very nice IMO. I bought some Husky brand Chinese stubby wrenches from Home Depot. They did the job for me. They aren't as good a fit as my old Mac Tools stubby but I got a whole set for $15 where Snap-On are about $35 for each wrench. And I got them when I needed them and got my car back on the road. Availability can be a big thing.

If you're willing to go non USA, then I recommend the Carlyle tools. If you want USA, Stanley Proto has some. Otherwise, save your money for Snap-On.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Craftsman ratchet that is made in the USA is an upgrade from their made in China one and has a nice feel.

The main ratchet I use is a Powrcraft (Montgomery Wards).

But I do have the USA Craftsman.

The older round head fine tooth Craftsman Professional ratchets are very nice! If you can find one.

Originally Posted By: cb_13
http://m.harborfreight.com/38-in-drive-professional-flex-head-ratchet-62321.html

I have the older HF 3/8 flex head and this ratchet above in 1/2 drive. It's excellent. Much, much better than the Craftsmen stuff.

What's even better is the 1/4 drive ratchets from HF. I used to think 1/4 inch drive sockets were a joke. It was because the 1/4 Craftsmen ratchet was such a piece of junk. I never knew it was junk until I decided to upgrade.

Also, the ratchets at AutoZone are very nice but they lack the push button to easily remove the socket.

Originally Posted By: Leo99

What's even better is the 1/4 drive ratchets from HF. I used to think 1/4 inch drive sockets were a joke. It was because the 1/4 Craftsmen ratchet was such a piece of junk. I never knew it was junk until I decided to upgrade.

Not sure how a ratchet changed your mind on sockets... but Ive found that 1/4 drive stuff really is wonderful and has its place. Smaller, lighter, easier to move around. So long as youre not doing anything too tight that needs a ton of leverage, or anything much larger than 13mm, 1/4 is perfect. I changed an alternator once using only 1/4" drive, I was sold after that.

I have a full 1/4 SK set and it has been my go to ratchet set for years now.

I have a few Facom ratchets that I love, however they aren't that easy to find and also quite pricey. If you ever find a deal on one, you should definitely look into it though... or else let me know and I'll jump on the deal LOL.
grin.gif

I don't know the pricing on S-K now days, but I bought lots of the stuff when I started wrenching in the 60's, and it must have been reasonable then as I am so tight i pinch pennys till lincoln hollers, I love the flex head 3/8 ratchet, that I have been using since 1964. The mechanism wore out once a few years ago, and they just gave me new parts for it (no charge)and it is like new again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back