Want Higher Capacity/Volume Oil Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Forum........first post for me since registering earlier this week. I have several vehicles that utilize the same oil filter. Earlier posts/requests I've seen ask for a couple of manufacturers part numbers for the same application. Can anyone tell me what would be an alternative oil filter that would work for me that has more volume/capacity than the ones listed below ??

Purolator L14459
Mann ML1002
Napa SFL31334

Thanks in advance for your help !!

Todd

PS: after research IMO Mann filters seem to be pretty good quality, I found some ML1002 filters on Rock Auto for $2.17 each, 12 pack to my door in Tulsa, OK for $41.

What is your purpose of getting an oil filter with more capacity?

If its to have more oil in the system, percentage wise it will not help much.

If to hold more junk for an extended OCI, then you should get an oil filter designed for extended OCI.

Fram ultra. Its good for 15k miles synthetic media and 2 filter media's.

They claim it hold twice as much idk about that but the filters top of the line. If you look into some of the reviews on here for it you will see a lot of people reccomending it.

Any company can make a quality part for the right price and a cheap part for the low price.

math is your friend.

work out the volume of a cylinder...apply it to your filters.

Doesn't make any sense in a lubrication sense, but have at it.

Unless you have a sludge filled engine or poor air filtration, i doubt most people even come close to utilizing the capacity of the filter on an oci.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Todd_K

PS: after research IMO Mann filters seem to be pretty good quality, I found some ML1002 filters on Rock Auto for $2.17 each, 12 pack to my door in Tulsa, OK for $41.

Just an FYI, Mann+Hummel owns the Purolator brand, and many Mann filters marketed in the US (the white can variety) are essentially relabeled Purolators, which looks to be the case in the one you referenced. Nothing wrong with that if you like Purolator, just so you are aware.

Also, welcome to the forum....
welcome2.gif

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Unless you have a sludge filled engine or poor air filtration, i doubt most people even come close to utilizing the capacity of the filter on an oci.
x2. they dont "plug up" unless theres a major problem

Hyundai-made canister filters are good, equivalent to 14459, not a high volume filter. Very very good quality at a good price, 4 bucks or so.

Welcome to the forum, if you want a taller oil filter. Take a look at a Baldwin B168 or B199, both of those are over 5" tall.

My 06' Honda S2000 can run those filters but I have the room for an even larger oil filter, and that is a B202(3 11/16" X 5 3/8"). The B202 has over 3 times the filter media that the stock Honda filter has.

Been running that filter for over 100k miles @ 15k mile oil filter change intervals.

ROD

I run a "taller" than stock filter on my V8 4Runner. The filter I use is a Mobil M1-209. It has the same bypass setting, tested on a flow bench at work. I figure that with that little bit of extra media length the oil might just flow thru the filter media a tiny bit slower and for the same price and an easy fit, why not.

I've been using the Purolator L14459 for several years, they're a pretty good filter. After reviewing several youtube videos, one especially detailing the Mann filter composition, I chose the Mann. The Mann on RockAuto at $2.17 each was a $1.10 cheaper than the Purolators at Walmart I've been buying/using. The Mann filters that arrived from RockAuto are black in color. One thing I liked about them was their large opening they provided in the case of the oil bypassing, seems some filter's opening could lead to low / no flow situation when in bypass mode + the Mann had what 2 - 3 times the filter media in their conventional filter than many other filters. One of the videos I watched was out of Europe and had english sub-titles, that was the filter that was shipped to me. There were several other videos that showed a Mann filter inferior to what I purchased, wondering if those were some of the re-branded Purolators ??

One thing I liked about them was their large opening they provided in the case of the oil bypassing, seems some filter's opening could lead to low / no flow situation when in bypass mode

The only time 100% of the oil flow would be going through the bypass valve is if the media was 100% blocked. If that happens you got some serious issues going on with the engine (super sludger) and it's probably on it's last leg anyway. Normally there is still oil flowing through the media also when the bypass valve opens.

+ the Mann had what 2 - 3 times the filter media in their conventional filter than many other filters.

The L14459 has ~85 to 90 sq-in of media based on the ones I've cut open. It would be tough to get twice the media area in that same can unless they actually decreased the center core diameter to get longer pleats and then really packed them tight together. Only way to really know the media area is to measure it. Visual looks can be deceiving. One example is visually comparing the 14459 to the 14610. Since the can seems larger on the 14459 you would think it has more media, but it actually has less than the 14610 (which has ~105 sq-in).

Keep in mind that in the unlikely case of engine damage caused by an oil filter failure, the filter maker is liable only if you used the filter they specified in their catalog.

I agree with the other postings--no good point to change the filter from the original spec. The filter must have the filtration efficiency, bypass valve setting, and minimum flow rate the engine maker designed, as well as the correct thread and gasket size to just fit. There is no advantage to a flow rate greater than the oil pump puts out plus a bit extra for clogging, and the engine maker already figured that all out. The extra oil capacity...meh, not worth the bother.

Originally Posted By: Ken2
Keep in mind that in the unlikely case of engine damage caused by an oil filter failure, the filter maker is liable only if you used the filter they specified in their catalog.

I agree with the other postings--no good point to change the filter from the original spec. The filter must have the filtration efficiency, bypass valve setting, and minimum flow rate the engine maker designed, as well as the correct thread and gasket size to just fit. There is no advantage to a flow rate greater than the oil pump puts out plus a bit extra for clogging, and the engine maker already figured that all out. The extra oil capacity...meh, not worth the bother.

I think it depends... I know Hastings told me that they wouldn't cover me if I used an oversized filter, but Fram has posted on these forums that they're aware of common oversized/alternatives and take that into consideration with warranty claims (i.e. PH7317 instead of PH6607).

Absolutely a feel good mod only, and it should attract the ire of all the "do it by the book" types we have here who squeal loudly when any additives are mentioned.

?

Is there really any advantage to running a larger filter? I know people used to always run Ford truck 302 filters on the Chrysler 2.2 turbos because they were larger, but other than an extra 1/2 quart of oil, I don't really know why they thought it was better than the stock size (which is a normal size, current Wix # is 51348).

If filter area is no big deal, then why do people on here bother with counting and measuring pleats to determine which filter is better?

I can think of a couple of reasons why Ford/Mazda specced the FL-910S in my 3, and none of them really applies in this particular application. For exactly the same money, I'll take an FL-400S or equivalent, thanks.

Originally Posted By: ForceFedMopar
Is there really any advantage to running a larger filter? I know people used to always run Ford truck 302 filters on the Chrysler 2.2 turbos because they were larger, but other than an extra 1/2 quart of oil, I don't really know why they thought it was better than the stock size (which is a normal size, current Wix # is 51348).

There is a small disadvantage in some applications. Even if the ADBV works 100%, if the engine design and the orientation of the filter allows the other half of the filter to drain out, using a larger filter could take a longer time to build pressure on startup than a smaller filter.

In theory a larger filter with the same media will have less resistance to flow and greater loading capacity. You would have to verify that it indeed had the same exact media. I could totally see an engineer speccing different media in a different size filter.

Besides "more oil" a very minor advantage would be additional cooling due to greater surface area. Of course if it's right behind a turbo or exhaust manifold it may be picking up as much heat as it's shedding....

All in all the only real advantage I can see is a greater load capacity for extended OCI's. Well, easier access in some cases (harder in others).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back