Walther P22 Q .22 LR Pistol

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeeOSix

$100 site donor 2022
Anyone here have the Walther P22 Q for their semi-auto .22 LR plinking pistol? From what I'm getting from doing some research, the "Q" is basically an updated (2nd Gen?) version of the P22 with a lot of the Walther "Q" series design characteristics. The P22 Q has some improvements that supposedly fixed some shortcomings of the original P22 design.

Anyway, the "Military" color scheme with the black slide and green frame catches my eye. I looked at an all black one at the local guns store and really liked how it fit the hand and it's features, and comes with 2 stainless steel magazines and a nice foam lined hard case. It's a double action with a hammer decocker/safely which I liked. Also 3-dot sights with windage adjustment on the rear sight, 10+1 capacity. The new "Q" version seems to get good reviews. I'd like to hear from anyone and their experiences who has the P22 Q.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I bought an early first generation P22, along with a P99 in .40. Never hade any problems and appreciate the compact size. Occasionally my carry gun in the Summer or when I am wearing a suit.

Here's a good video that talks about the improvements Walther made with the newer P22 Q model. Seems like a pretty slick little .22 LR semi-auto. Might have to pick one up in black/green since I don't have a "modern" small light weight semi-auto in .22 LR.

I had a first gen P22 a few years ago and it was a fun pistol for sure. Mine was really picky about what ammo it was fed - if I didn't use the right type the slide would jam when loading a new shell. I've missed it though, and thought about buying a Sig mosquito. I'm glad to see they came out with an updated P22 though - I'm very interested in learning more about the improvements over the first generation.

i tried my sister in law's gen1 walther p22 when looking for a 22lr plinker awhile ago. the ruger mark series were too heavy. the p22 was really the ergonomically best feeling in my hand of the semauto 22lr pistols. however she got it during the great ammo drought, when 22 ammo was unobtanium and her p22 liked cci premium ammo, of which we had precious little. besides reliability i look for ease of fieldstripping and maker's warranty reputation. my criteria led me to the ruger sr22. if walther has truly upgraded its gen2 p22q, then it should be a worthy choice, but the sr22 should get serious consideration too.

I have a few of these, just few drops of oil and it has been flawless
I use it with a 22 silencer, quite fun

Originally Posted by bubbatime
The Taurus or the Glock should be on the radar, in my opinion.

The Taurus TX 22? If so, I totally agree. Mine has been an amazing little shooter! Was never really a Taurus fan, but this thing has been awesome. 16+1 capacity, a great trigger and all basic functions, size and disassembly just like all other modern poly pistols.

Originally Posted by jstert
i tried my sister in law's gen1 walther p22 when looking for a 22lr plinker awhile ago. the ruger mark series were too heavy. the p22 was really the ergonomically best feeling in my hand of the semauto 22lr pistols. however she got it during the great ammo drought, when 22 ammo was unobtanium and her p22 liked cci premium ammo, of which we had precious little. besides reliability i look for ease of fieldstripping and maker's warranty reputation. my criteria led me to the ruger sr22. if walther has truly upgraded its gen2 p22q, then it should be a worthy choice, but the sr22 should get serious consideration too.

From what I'm reading about the undated Walther P22 Q model, Walther put a lighter recoil spring in it (the captured design which simplified tear down and assembly too), and also cleaned up the feed ramp. Might have been a few more things, but the updated Q models seem to function well on all kinds of 22 ammo now as the video I posted earlier shows. I found a green/black "military" color scheme P22 Q and have one coming to a local gun store. Guess I see how it operates first hand when I get it home.

Also, another thing I liked about the Walther P22 Q is that it's basically the same exact size (4.5" x 6" x 1"), and feels basically the same in the hand as the Taurus PT111 G2 and Smith & Wesson M&P 9 Shield, which I have also. The P22 Q will obviously be way cheaper to shoot at the range than the 9 mm will be.

Would love to see a head to head of this with the glock 44. Both are of interest.

Originally Posted by JHZR2
Would love to see a head to head of this with the glock 44. Both are of interest.

If you like traditional German magazine release then the Walther P22 is the way.Plus it was the go to brand of 007.
If you like the more boring thumb release & Glock fan boy then Glock is the way.Plus its was the go to brand of Hickok45.

I like the magazine release on the P22Q. Also like that it's double action with a hammer and a safety lever. Super easy to field strip, which most modern semi-auto probably are. Walther has a life time warranty, and they pay for shipping both ways if it ever needs any warranty work.

I have the "Tactical" version. I think the only differences from the regular model are a threaded barrel and a fiberoptic front sight. Picked it up at a gun show about a year ago, it's been a nice little plinker.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by KD0AXS
I have the "Tactical" version. I think the only differences from the regular model are a threaded barrel and a fiberoptic front sight. Picked it up at a gun show about a year ago, it's been a nice little plinker.
[Linked Image]

The regular P22Q has the threaded barrel too. Yours just came with the suppressor adaptor. That piece can be bought for ~$20. The P22 CA (California model) has the threaded barrel nut lock-tited on, and has no wrench flats so it can't be removed easily.

Yes, the Tactical version is the only model with the front fiber optic sight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back