Walt Garrison Dallas Cowboy full back dies

Yep. An old skool football player and rodeo cowboy. Lotta teams today could use a blocking back like him. Juice fills that role for the 49ers; he's a fan favorite and a key part of our offense.

I miss the two-back set and when fullbacks could be featured backs, but really it's been a passing league and that way all my adult life and I ain't that young....

I miss the two-back set and when fullbacks could be featured backs, but really it's been a passing league and that way all my adult life and I ain't that young....
I think at one time long before I started watching it was common enough to have two half backs and a fullback in the backfield. This was before tight ends when there were only two receivers near the line of scrimmage.

Walt was at odds with Coach Landry regarding his rodeo participation. Landry did not want him rodeoing. Walt signed a waiver voiding his contract if he got injured in the rodeos. Landry agreed. The Cowboys had an 11 o'clock curfew, so Walt would compete in rodeos in the evenings, as long as he could make it back by 11 pm. Walt scoffed at the danger. He said compared to the brutal NFL in the 60's, rodeo was safe.

miss the two-back set and when fullbacks could be featured backs
Exactly! I miss the days of an offense that had a two pronged threat. Defenses were often confused wondering if the opposing offense was going to run or pass. Today most teams pass, then reload for another pass, even on most third and short situations. The NFL needs more Walt Garrisons, Walter Paytons or Jim Browns, John Riggins, Earl Campbell, Tony Dorsett, Franko Harris, Larry Csonka etc. The NFL is painful to watch nowadays.

Exactly! I miss the days of an offense that had a two pronged threat. Defenses were often confused wondering if the opposing offense was going to run or pass. Today most teams pass, then reload for another pass, even on most third and short situations. The NFL needs more Walt Garrisons, Walter Paytons or Jim Browns, John Riggins, Earl Campbell, Tony Dorsett, Franko Harris, Larry Csonka etc. The NFL is painful to watch nowadays.
The game has change so much I don't know what the announcers are talking about anymore.

The quality of play in the nfl is terrible this year. It’s the year of the Field goal. The games are hard to watch, mistakes, bad play calling, and bad officiating. In one game I saw a lineman line up offsides. That’s the first thing they teach you in pee wee football.

Back