Walmart Tech 2000 Syn ATF

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm living in Canada and the temp has dropped pretty cold that past week. I just purchased a used Ford F150 4.6 4x4 with approx 40,000 miles on it. I previous ower had a ball hitch on it so I assume it was used to tow something.

The ATF fluid looks nice and red and doesn't smell bad however, I was thinking on changing it out anyway and replace with it with a synthetic fluid. The capacity is approx. 14 litres and the cheapest I can get Mobil 1 is 8.59 a litre so that approx. $120.00. I noticed at WalMart they sell there brand of synthetic TECH 2000 ATF in 4 litre size for 19.00 so it's a little cheaper. Just wondering if its as good as the other brand names.

Thanks for any input,

Krazy

Here in the US, Wal-Mart stores call their automotive fluids/products "Super Tech"(Im sure you knew this). At one time I remember in the '90s they were called TECH 2000 here as well. They even had a decent car wax/polish called TECH 2000 during that time. Also, at one time here in the States, Wal-Marts automotive fluids were known to be pretty good products but today they are only OK! They meet specification and I guess thats OK! From my understanding, TECH 2000 automotive fluids used in Canada are supperior(even if only a little) to the Super Tech fluids used here in the States although, I have no data to confirm my statement. Looking at some of the Super Tech fluids VOA's lead me to beleive this. They seem to lack a better addative package that they onced had. I certain others will chime in with some good advice.

What year is your truck? I believe 96 and later require use of the MerconV spec fluid, which is a good bit better quality fluid than the Mercon/DexronIII that it replaced in the Fords. Is this Tech 2000 fluid a MerconV rated oil? Does your truck have the aux trans cooler on the front? This cooler should make your fluid and trans last longer and will let you extend service intervals some..If your trans came with an aux. cooler and MerconV fluid, I would be tempted to leave it in there a while longer if you can stand it. If you must change it, be sure to use fluid that says MerconV on the bottle somewhere. While you have the pan off and the filter removed, retorque all the valve body bolts (8 and 10 mm bolt heads) to 110-115 in/lbs. This will prevent shudder that some of these units experience due to the valve body gasket compression, causing cross-leaks. The Mobil 1 fluid may be a bit better overall (newer MerconV stuff), but the other fluid probably will be ok as long as MerconV rated. I assume you plan on some type of complete flush if you are going to change out the whole 14 liters? 14 bolt pan 4R70W / 20 bolt pan is E4OD-4WD requires different filter than the 2WD on E4OD units.
I have also had great results using Amsoil ATF in these units, but that may cost even more than the Mobil 1 ATF as it does here in the states depending on where you buy it.

Hi, The truck is a 2004 (new body style) with 4R70E transmission. Yes it's Mercon V rated from factory, but the Tech 2000 is Synthetic but it doesn't say Mercon V on it. The Moble 1 is also 100% synthetic so I was just wondering what would be better: A) Ford spec Mercon V. b) Walmart Tech 2000 Synthetic or c) Mobile 1 Synthetic.

I haven't seen any Amsoil here locally but if that one is better I can try to order online.

Yes I will flush all the ATF out - pan drop and remove cooler line and pump out converter.

Thanks for your input!

Krazy

You must use a fluid with Mercon-V mentioned somewhere on the bottle or at the manufacturers website.

Any unit over 30k, IMO, is due for a full flush.

If the supertech synth 2000 doesn't mention Mercon-V, do NOT use it. You'll end up with shift and TC shudder.
But, if it mentions universal or multivehicle, you should be able to get away with using it.

Don Stefanik is the Canadian Amsoil rep here on BITOG, and I believe he would give you great service, should you decide to explore the Amsoil option. I would be sure to use MerconV rated fluid, or a universal fluid that mentions MerconV, as Undummy advises. I would stay away from a "multi-vehicle" fluid that only mentions DexIII/Mercon, even if it is a fully synthetic fluid.

I went back to Walmart and looked at the back of the bottle on the Tech 2000 and this is what is said:

A 100% Synthetic ATF that outperforms conventional fluid specifying GM Dexron III, Dexron IIE, Dexron II, Dexron Type A, Suffix A or Ford Mercon Type CJ or Type H. Meets requirements for Allison C-3/C-4 and Caterpillar TO-2.

Does this mean it meets Ford Mercon V?

Thanks,

Krazy

Mercon V is kinda' $pendy but that is what they spec for that tranny.

Disregard at your own risk: bmwtechguy hit the nail on the head.

Cheers, eh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back