Walmart Sale priced conventional oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Chris_H
Ok so this maybe a dumb question but we all know Walmart almost always has Conventional Valvoline WB, Pennzoil YB or Castrol GTX in 5w-30 and 10w-30 on sale. Here in Canada its always $11.88 to $13.88 for a 4.4L or 4.73L jug. Normally priced the oil is $25-$30 but for a 5L jug rather than the 4.4 or 4.73.

In fact I have found 9 times out of 10 if you can find the 4.4L or 4.73L size its sale priced even if its not currently advertised.

What I want to know is if there is any difference in the oil between the sale priced stuff and the normal priced stuff? I would hope there isn't but its an interesting question

If it's in sealed bottles and has the company logo/label and container color, it's the same oil... Look at the ratings on the back between the smaller and bigger containers
smile.gif

As for recycled oil, it may actually be better. It starts out as motor oil before being re-refined. Not like underground crude with everything under the sun for chemistry. And you are getting a fair percentage of synthetics because of that being recycled in the same vault before pick-up. So it's very likely a good "blend" semi-synthetic. Ain't nothing wrong with that
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
As for recycled oil, it may actually be better. It starts out as motor oil before being re-refined. Not like underground crude with everything under the sun for chemistry. And you are getting a fair percentage of synthetics because of that being recycled in the same vault before pick-up. So it's very likely a good "blend" semi-synthetic. Ain't nothing wrong with that
smile.gif

So much this.. I must say that the NextGen oil that I bought for $1 - $2 a quart has to be some of the clearest-looking, lightest-colored oil I've seen so far, and I've run it multiple 7,500 mile OCIs without issue.

If it started out as oil, and was re-refined, why wouldn't it be at least as good as the stuff that came out of the ground?

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
What does that Delvac 5W-40 cost you ?

Last time was about $26 a jug from the distributor.

car51: No, you are correct about the naming. SuperTech stuff is long gone up here. It's all Tune It now, or however they stylize that word.

Chris_H: Don't worry about the content of the bottle sizes at Walmart Canada. It's a very smart way to handle the logistics of a sale without actually having to play with till pricing at the end of a sale. When the product is gone, the sale is over, and the regular bottles are still the same insanely high price. Note that Wakefield and Imperial Oil use 4.4 L jugs most of the time, but also have other size jugs available as needed, with 4 L used by both of them fairly often, and 5 L common for Wakefield.

Originally Posted By: GumbyJarvis
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Garak says the Walmart oil in Canada is made by Safety Clean, the oil recycle people. I wouldn't buy it.

SafetyKleen makes the 15w40 used in a massive fleet of Military vehicles.

Literally, hundreds of thousands of vehicles.

That get UOAs done bi annually during services.

Ive seen 7000mi safety kleen come back with 7.5TBN on a UOA.

For CJ-4 thats not unheard of.

This is good to know, I have always wondered about this. I regularly buy there Valvoline WB 5w-30 4.73L for $13.88

The strange thing is at that price its a better deal then there Tune-it Walmart brand which I never notice on sale?!?!?

And yes the Tune-it is the Canadian Walmart brand, But interestingly it says "Powered by Supertech" on the bottles

562273.jpg

As a fellow Canadian, (and Torontonian), I have also noticed the very ridiculous pricing set up at our Walmarts. Like OP said, I usually see the 4.73L jug (my choice is PP) priced at ~$28.88, and then the same brand oil in the 5L jug can be priced as high as $48.99.... go figure how they calculate those prices... approx. $20 MORE for less than half a quart??

Originally Posted By: HOG
As a fellow Canadian, (and Torontonian), I have also noticed the very ridiculous pricing set up at our Walmarts. Like OP said, I usually see the 4.73L jug (my choice is PP) priced at ~$28.88, and then the same brand oil in the 5L jug can be priced as high as $48.99.... go figure how they calculate those prices... approx. $20 MORE for less than half a quart??

+ $13.88 for PYB / VWB
$14.88 for Castrol GTX - new bottle
$28.88 for M1 5W30-5W20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back