Walmart Sale priced conventional oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so this maybe a dumb question but we all know Walmart almost always has Conventional Valvoline WB, Pennzoil YB or Castrol GTX in 5w-30 and 10w-30 on sale. Here in Canada its always $11.88 to $13.88 for a 4.4L or 4.73L jug. Normally priced the oil is $25-$30 but for a 5L jug rather than the 4.4 or 4.73.

In fact I have found 9 times out of 10 if you can find the 4.4L or 4.73L size its sale priced even if its not currently advertised.

What I want to know is if there is any difference in the oil between the sale priced stuff and the normal priced stuff? I would hope there isn't but its an interesting question

"Valvoline WB, Pennzoil YB or Castrol GTX" If it's these brands, then no, no difference. Wally buys in huge quantities.

I only buy 5Qt containers now that I know Walmart carries it for half the price. I've seen stuff like QSGB as well for 13.88

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Garak says the Walmart oil in Canada is made by Safety Clean, the oil recycle people. I wouldn't buy it.

SafetyKleen makes the 15w40 used in a massive fleet of Military vehicles.

Literally, hundreds of thousands of vehicles.

That get UOAs done bi annually during services.

Ive seen 7000mi safety kleen come back with 7.5TBN on a UOA.

Who cares if the "Tune It" (Super Tech oil in the U.S.A.) is recycled and refined?! Good reason why I don't take Merkavas advice. My work uses Safety Kleen 0w20 synthetic in vehicles that require it and nothing has blown up or nothing bad happened

Originally Posted By: Chris_H

What I want to know is if there is any difference in the oil between the sale priced stuff and the normal priced stuff? I would hope there isn't but its an interesting question

Back to the OP's question.......No, there is no difference, it is all the same oil within the brand.

Originally Posted By: car51
Who cares if the "Tune It" (Super Tech oil in the U.S.A.) is recycled and refined?! Good reason why I don't take Merkavas advice. My work uses Safety Kleen 0w20 synthetic in vehicles that require it and nothing has blown up or nothing bad happened

Is it actually recycled? Sorry for derailing. Just curious. Saw it for sale for 16.97/5QT.

Originally Posted By: GumbyJarvis
Garak says the Walmart oil in Canada is made by Safety Clean, the oil recycle people. I wouldn't buy it.

Very interesting stuff. I bet 15w40 is used in quite a bit of stuff. Lol.

Originally Posted By: GumbyJarvis

+1 I heard safety kleen makes some really good oil.

Walmart doesn't call it "Tune It".

Last time we did it
Safety Kleen - Application - TBN
6.2 L HMMWV Diesel 6400mi on oil TBN was 5.4 for 15w40

6.5 HMMWV Turbo Diesel 5000mi on oil TBN Was 4.0 for 15w40

This was also done after rolling around in the socal desert for a month
April 2015

The change was done in oct 2014

Twas a purolator If i remember

It's fully API certified. I would. You know what a jug of our Walmart house brand synthetic costs? It's about $45. A 5 gallon pail of Walmart house brand conventional is under $60. "Normal" conventionals at Walmart are $28 for a 5 litre jug.

Farmer: Yes, recycled or rerefined, whatever you want to call it. It's certainly not used oil, or anything worrisome like that. It's been around for a long time, and it's nice how they have more than just a couple grades, but also have everything from monogrades to hydraulic oil to 5w-20 in 5 gallon pails.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Walmart doesn't call it "Tune It".

Wal-Mart's home brand is named 'Tune It!' in Canada, not Super Tech as in the USA.

link: http://www.walmart.ca/en/automotive/moto.../N-2137+1020576

Last edited:
US government is required by law to use it, and as Gumby said, 50% of Valvoline NextGen is the same base stock. I wouldn't lose too much sleep running it, all the closeout green bottle NG ML I've been using has been fine. The IDI diesels burned all the FAR regular NextGen in summertime (added to the fuel about a quart/tankful).

I meant it is called the other name in Canada as Garak said guys
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak
It's fully API certified. I would. You know what a jug of our Walmart house brand synthetic costs? It's about $45. A 5 gallon pail of Walmart house brand conventional is under $60. "Normal" conventionals at Walmart are $28 for a 5 litre jug.

What does that Delvac 5W-40 cost you ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back