Walmart only selling fram filters now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

What's wrong with the Fram TG?

Cost for the "quality" or should I say lack of it
smirk.gif

Whimsey

We got slimmer picking of ST but some of the popular sizes are still being refreshed regularly and the Motorcraft and now Mopar (1 size so far) filters are well in stock.

I was at my local W-M yesterday (Abingdon, MD)and they had the entire range of Fram filters. Also had some SuperTech, Motorcraft and Mopar filters. Selection of the latter seems to be decreasing so the orange wall of doom may be taking over. No sale yet on existing stock of pre-Deposit Shield Havoline (nuts!).

I was told that Fram has made deals to be the only supplier in some retail contracts. It's just marketing. Their cost to put a filter on the shelf is really low and they can offer display incentives and really deep discounts. One of our maintenance centers was offered a deal if Fram would be used as the exclusive filter supplier for all the products in their line. They did not take the offer. I did not realize there was so much resistance to Fram. Everyone from the GM to the guys on the lube racks were against using Fram at any price. They are sticking with Wix.

Walmart always heavily favored Fram and it was always their main product so why everybody so surprised? Just go to auto store and buy there. You can choose from the better selection and prices are pretty much the same. In fact I recently discovered that some auto stores have actually the same or lower prices for oil than Walmart. That way you fight Walmart monopoly and help smaller designated local businesses. I got all three major chain auto stores near me. Napa, AutoZone and Advanced Auto Parts. Less people, better selection and unlike Walmart the take dirty oil. What's not to like?!

there is mostly fram at my local walmart that I left and went to autozone to buy my oil/filter.

I have converted to Wix/Napa Gold, depending on the sale situation, and stock up at least a year's worth at a time. I am WAY under Fram prices at Wally World or any of the Auto Box stores.
Quote:

On my next OCI I'm gonna get me one of those fancy smancy NAPA Gold filters with the silicone ADBV. What the H***, we only live once right?
grin.gif

Quote:

I have converted to Wix/Napa Gold, depending on the sale situation, and stock up at least a year's worth at a time. I am WAY under Fram prices at Wally World or any of the Auto Box stores.

I've switched my Corvette to a Wix filter, and I've got a Carquest premium (same as Wix) going on my wife's Honda for the next interval too. From now on I'll most likely stick with Wix.

Up here we can't get them as cheaply as you guys in the US though. I paid over $11 for the Wix for my Corvette. I sure wish we had some $2 filters up here, but like peterr mentioned, the cheapest we can get is some $4 Frams. It wasn't too long ago when Walmarts up here sold AC Delco filters and they were only $3! I should've bought a whole bunch of them once I started noticing that some of the Walmarts were beginning to phase them out.

If I make a trip to the US in the future I'll have to bring back a ton of oil filters. What do you guys pay for Wix filters down there, $4 or $5?

I just bought 3some 7317 filters at the Walmart near Doylestown, Pa. Their stock is small but the had lots of the 7317 for Nissans and Honda's. I should have bought them out.
smile.gif

Quote:

Ah the benefit of a lack of perspective....

oh yeah? what's your perspective then?

walmart was never that heavy on multiple auto brands. supertech was always out numbered by fram, ever since 2000 as far as I can tell. don't overanylize this. it's just a #@$%! filter. go somewhere else coz it's not the end of the world like some of you think. stuck up 5 years worth of oil filters, holly fancy mosses!!!
crazy.gif
shocked.gif
pat2.gif
smirk.gif

Quote:

Quote:

Ah the benefit of a lack of perspective....

oh yeah? what's your perspective then...... go somewhere else coz it's not the end of the world like some of you think. stuck up 5 years worth of oil filters, holly fancy mosses!!!
crazy.gif
shocked.gif
pat2.gif
smirk.gif

Weren't you the one saying go somewhere else?
laugh.gif
I'll shop at Wal-Mart and buy $2 Supertechs. If they stop selling them, I'll be happy to buy Pureones at Advance...
cool.gif

While it does bother me that Wal-Mart buys from China, after Sam Walton's "Sam's American Choice" promotions (long before 2000). What doesn't bother me is saving money......20 years ago (even longer before 2000
grin.gif
), if you couldn't find it at Wal-Mart, you were held hostage to "Mom and Pops" who could charge any obnoxious price they pleased....I know, I was in a family business. I'd roll my eyes when my grandfather would give me a price to mark on something (the old purple ink mechanical stamps) that was about 4 times what the item could be have in other larger volume stores. As a result, by the time he shuttered the store (from old age, not lack of profit) he was selling mainly beer, cigarettes, and lunch meats....in high volume with lower profit per unit.... As they say on the Godfather (ironic since my gandafather is first gen. Sicilian-American)...It's just business....

Quote:

I've switched my Corvette to a Wix filter, and I've got a Carquest premium (same as Wix) going on my wife's Honda for the next interval too. From now on I'll most likely stick with Wix.

Patman, where are you getting your Wix filter from?

Looking to compare Wix prices vs the AC Delco price for my car. It's leased so I should stick really with AC Delco, but Wix filters are very good as well (perhaps better?)

Quote:

Quote:

Looking to compare Wix prices vs the AC Delco price for my car. It's leased so I should stick really with AC Delco, but Wix filters are very good as well (perhaps better?)

Wix filters are indeed better, as both of those are made by Dana, but the Wix gets a better silicone antidrainback valve. The AC Delco does use the same filtering media though. (this is only true for Canadian AC Delcos, the US ones are not made by Dana)

I paid just over $11 for my Wix filter for my Corvette from a shop here in Mississauga called Albion Auto Parts.

Quote:

I am not Patman, but I get my WIX and/or NAPA Gold (same thing) based on newspaper flyer sales. As an example, O'Reilly had a 60% off Wix promotion earlier this year, and I got 3 each for the VW, Toy, Kubuta, and Avanti, AND hydraulic filters as they are also "oil" filters.

Average price about $3.50, excluding the hydraulic filter which lists for $22.00. ($40 from Dealer).

Quote:

What doesn't bother me is saving money......20 years ago (even longer before 2000
grin.gif
)

yeah but nowdays auto stores got pretty much the same prices as walmart. i guess they could raise them if walmart limits it's selection to just fram. but that lesss likely.

I still go to the autoparts stores b/c I don't mind paying a tad more for a PureOne or Wix every now and then. I love small stores. I just don't want anyone to have the market to themselves. Wal-Mart has a better structure than PepBoys, for sure, where all the major synths go for $5.99......

WalMart is in a position where they can dictate terms to virtually any supplier, so I doubt that Fram's masters can offer the company a killer deal they can't get someone else to match or beat.
Frams have a great rep among those who don't know any better. I once thought a Fram oil filter was the top choice among single stage filters, based upon an old Consumer Reports test. You, at this site, have taught me better.
It may be, therefore, that WalMart feels that their typical customer associates Fram with quality, so that is what the stores are offering. There is a lot of orange in the filter section.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back