Walmart Oil Change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Talent_Keyhole
Blackstone Labs confirmed that in modern engines, up to 20% of oil may remain in an engine.

How much of the serviceability of the oil is reduced by mixing with the old oil?

What impact to the the longer term engine life due to the remaining old oil?

Can that remaining oil last another full OCI?

For many years Honda's maintenance schedule has shown oil filter change intervals every other oil change. When the oil filter is left on there's even more dirty oil left in the engine than when dropping the filter. Yet Hondas last forever so leaving some old oil in the engine isn't going to make much if any difference as long as the oil is changed at least as regularly as the manufacturer's schedule shows, or better.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
LOL, I never said that I did a UOA on that engine in my OP. You repeatedly said the remaining oil in an engine will be diluted by the new oil and is irrelevant.

You stated:
The original oil sump contained 25 ppm iron wear. The new mixture within a few minutes contained 5 ppm iron wear. Actually TBN dropped by 10% along with viscosity.

So then where is the basis of this comment if not in respect to your excursion in the OP? The only thing consistent in this thread is your lack of consistency. And yes, I maintain that the amount remaining, diluted by new oil, is irrelevant.

Go back and read the genesis of the comment. You left much of what was said. I conveyed example UOA results to refute your unsupported claim that up to 20% retention of used oil was irrelevant. As I stated before, people like yourself would never buy a quart of oil with 10-20% used oil but have no problem mixing your band new full synthetic oil in your engine, resulting in the same concentration. Many people are mislead thinking to believe that a minute fraction of oil remains when they pull the plug.

Present your evidence, otherwise it is speculation and opinion.

Where is your evidence that retention of wear metals that pass through your oil filter is not causing accelerated wear in the engine,

That's the purpose of the oil filter, to catch the particles that can cause damage. The levels you see in a UOA, the particles that are NOT caught by the filter, are too small to cause damage and simply indicate the level of contamination.

Wrong again about the size of damaging particulates. Filter manufacturers would produce more efficient filters, but it would be too costly and too large to support the volume of oil needed by the engine. They call these full flow filters in case you not aware. They capture the largest particulates while maintaining required flow. Think of all those foolish consumers and companies that use by-pass filters that filter down to 2 microns, not the 20 that full flow capture. They should file a class action lawsuit for the fraud.

or the old oil is not oxidizing to a point where it is leaving varnish, sludge, and build-up of carbon, plugging the oil drain holes under your oil control rings, causing stuck rings, and massive blow by and oil consumption.

Because the old oil is immediately diluted to the point of irrelevance by the new oil full of fresh antioxidants, dispersants, detergents...etc.

Where is your evidence to claim that up to 20% of contaminated oil in the sump is diluted and made irrelevant. What part of the additive package protects the oil from shearing from fuel dilution or from damaging wear metals and hard air borne particulates

Have you heard of by-pass filters and their benefits? Like you said, oil does not go bad on its own.

Yep, and there are also centrifuges that can be used to remove soot in diesel applications. Bypass filtration does two things:
1. Removes impurities down to a level far beyond the capability of a traditional full-flow spin-on filter

You mean damaging wear metals, contaminents, hard particulates small than 20 microns that you claim are too small to cause harm. Thanks for contradicting your previous claim.

2. Significantly increases the overall capacity of the oil system on a passenger vehicle

A passenger vehicle by-pass might add 1 quart to the sump capacity. One quart of used oil left in an engine is irrelvant but one addtional quart to the volume is significant. LOL

Bypass filtration allows for longer intervals by increasing the sump volume and thus the volume over which contaminants, acids and dilutants are spread, but it doesn't allow the oil to last forever, you still will run out of the ability for the oil to neutralize acids and the lube can still succumb to fuel dilution.

I never said it was fixed amount or percentage. it does vary.

Then why keep focusing on the 20% figure?

You are focusing on the 20%, I have repeated said and BSL also agreed up to 20% could retained in an engine. Suggest you go back and read my posts. My 2.4L I-4 retained 10-12% of wear metals. loss of 1.2 cSt of viscosity after mixing the oil. When you double the engine size and only small increase in total volume of the sump, that approaches 20%.

My 2.4L Ecotec with VVT retains about 10-12% and it only has one cylinder head and two cams. A smaller turbo charged engine, say a 1.4 liter with smaller sump, and oil lines and turbo would likely be a higher percentage. When you get into the V engines with 6 and 8 cylinders, your have two cylinder heads with dual cams, two seperate VVT systems, larger capacity pumps, the mulitple oil galleries in each head. It gets even higher. Other members have already looked up their factory service manuals and confirmed that these modern engines retain much more oil than in previous years. My first engine rebuild was a Ford 289, V-8 in 1983. It had only one cam, rocker arms, solid lifters. Very little oil was found still in the engine upon teardown. Not the case with these newer engine designs.

The S62 in my M5 was DOHC with VCT and had a pretty wild oil system by anyone's standards. There were solenoids that you needed to activate during the oil change to get the oil out of the bypasses on either side of the pan/engine that were used to prevent starvation during high-G load cornering. For this you needed the BMW scan tool. That engine held 7L of oil which I changed at my standard 10-12,000Km interval with M1 0w-40. UOA's showed significant fuel dilution. The engine however, stayed quite clean:
[Linked Image]

You prove my point that modern engines are not the same in terms of oil retention as the old solid lifter, push rod engines of the past. Not every manufacturer can invest in or justify the quality and engineering that goes into every vehicle line. Do you have UOA and internal pictures of your engine? What is signifcant fuel dilution? The S62 is not GDI engine, correct.

So you counter my so called anecdote with one of your own. I am impressed. You said if I change the oil on a regular basis I need not worry about sludge, varnish and carbon or any of that residual oil.

In a mechanically sound engine without any issues like a plugged PCV, leaking injector or some other qualifier that will rapidly degrade the lubricant, yes.

Maybe for a high end, luxury sports car, but not for the average passenger vehicle. OEMs and OIl Analysis Labs have published information claiming up to 7% fuel dilution is normal in GDI engines.

Now you speculate and make incredulous claims that the Mobil 1 and Pennzoil oil she uses is a subpar lubricant. The sponsor of this forum may not be please with your comment.

You never indicated what lubricant was used in your wife's car. Like with your claim about UOA data, you just keep adding stuff to support your position here, you brought her vehicle up separate from the OP. No oil is going to fix a mechanical issue, so if the lubricant was of a sufficient quality, then there is likely a mechanical issue with the vehicle. I'd have expected somebody who is so obviously learned in this field and certainly not just on here to argue with people to already know that of course.

What is the point of bringing up your BMW M5...just adding stuff to support your position. H'mm where have I heard that before.

You never asked about the oil type, it should not matter as long it meets API rating and viscosity...right. Now you are claiming there must be mechanical problem. Sheesh, whats your next speculation. Sorry to break it to you, gas powered, internal combustion engines are inherently dirty, produce carbon, acids, by-products that cause sludge and varnish regardless of oil or mechanical condition. Wear begins at the moment of use and continues.

Now its a waste of resource and complicated,

Yes, it's both a waste of resources and an over-complication of a very simple process.

Who said one has to discard the flush oil. Keep for a second or third flush. All used oil is recycled in one way or another, so not waste of resources. How much time is wasted, maybe 15 minutes of time, twice a year. Driving a luxury BMW M5, isnt that a waste or valuable, non renewable resources. Many on the left would agree.

and only a million parts per million of wear metals and no tangible benefits.

It's certainly not a million parts per million. Contaminants are measured in parts per million so if your UOA has 5ppm of iron that means there are 5 parts dilute in one million parts of oil.

Your the one down playing that it is only 5 ppm wear that was retained in the oil. Thanks for the math lesson...not.

How much is too much. 100 ppm, a 1000 ppm. Why do labs flag wear rates and limits of less than 100 ppm and recommend immediate oil changes.

Depends on what the contaminant is, but given you haven't done a UOA despite continually dragging out data that can only be gleaned in a UOA, I'm not sure how discussing this is beneficial?

How wrong you are again, must suck to jump to conclusions and make such statements. I bet you do that all the time. I have been testing oil in my vehicles for 30 years.

Fe for example, tracks with mileage/hours. The level of iron will increase in a linear fashion relative to its time in service. The condemnation point for iron can be as high as 150ppm, provided some other contaminant or characteristic doesn't condemn the lubricant first. But, if your iron uptake rate is significantly higher than it should be, then you might have a mechanical problem. This will get your lubricant flagged by the analysis company.

Other contaminants like lead or copper, which shouldn't be present in any significant amount in an analysis, if elevated, will cause a flag.

If you have contaminants that shouldn't be in the oil, ones that could indicate a coolant leak, that will get you a flag. Same with what can indicate an air intake tract leak (silicon).

Then of course there are TAN and TBN. Oh, please, enlighten me with your vast knowledge.

Any now you finish off with more anecdotal accounts of million mile vehicles without flushing.

Well, they are certainly more than what you've brought to the table at this juncture. All I see is a combative attitude from a guy who came on here to argue
21.gif

Combative, ,,,suggest you check your online dictionary. I conveyed first hand knowledge of actual fluid mixing and contamination of significant amounts and can back up what I say, yet your response is irrelevant and can only give one direct anecdotal example. I have not seen your UOA or pictures of your BMW internal engine components.

Only a few examples.

Yeah, because most people don't hold onto a vehicle for that amount of time, or the bodies rot off them, or something else puts them in the wrecking yard first.

What about the millions of vehicles that did not make it past a fraction of that mileage.

What about them? Where is your data supporting your premise that doing an oil flush would have prevented their transmission from grenading or the body from rotting off?

The above make no sense at all.

Please provide your evidence seeing that you demand that of me.

Go look at any taxi or limo fleet. Next.

You just proved my point, you have no evidence or facts.

Next you will claim that the engineers at the OEMs accounted for this percentage of oil to be pushed to twice it's life expectancy without any harmful affects.

What determines the life expectancy of the oil? What are you basing that on? Mobil 1 EP is obviously capable of being run significantly longer than Supertech, despite both having the same OEM approvals, so broad brushed ambiguous nonsense isn't your friend here. OEM intervals are based on extensive internal testing with a standard oil of a minimum level of quality which typically aligns with either a basic API approval or one that the OEM has crafted, such as DEXOS. They aren't pulling these intervals out of thin air.

Boy talk about ambiguous nonsense.

Now that wasted all your ammo, care to present your evidence that retention of wear metals, fuel contamination, air borne hard particulates, water contamination in some cases, depleted additives, soot, sludge and carbon in the old oil has no negative affect on the new oil or the engine.

Again, dilution and filtration are your friends here, those were all touched-on in my earlier points. I've not even opened the ammo box yet, I'm just using what is in the mag while you've been waving your cap gun at me.

Prove me wrong that that retention of wear metals, fuel contamination, air borne hard particulates, water contamination in some cases, depleted additives, soot, sludge and carbon in the old oil has no negative affect on the new oil or the engine.

Wrong again about the size of damaging particulates. Filter manufacturers would produce more efficient filters, but it would be too costly and too large to support the volume of oil needed by the engine. They call these full flow filters in case you not aware. They capture the largest particulates while maintaining required flow. Think of all those foolish consumers and companies that use by-pass filters that filter down to 2 microns, not the 20 that full flow capture. They should file a class action lawsuit for the fraud.

High efficiency spin-on oil filters can catch as much as 80% @ 5μ. The filter efficiency rating of say 99% @ 20μ doesn't mean it's letting everything less than 20μ through the filter.

Prove me wrong that that retention of wear metals, fuel contamination, air borne hard particulates, water contamination in some cases, depleted additives, soot, sludge and carbon in the old oil has no negative affect on the new oil or the engine.

Every car on the road leaves some dirty oil in the engine when an oil change is done. Been that way ever since the engine was invented.

If someone is worried about some left over dirty oil upon draining, then they might consider pulling the engine and doing a complete testdown to clean the engine guts out, then reassemble and reinstall the engine in the vehicle.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Blackstone Labs confirmed that in modern engines, up to 20% of oil may remain in an engine.

How much of the serviceability of the oil is reduced by mixing with the old oil?

What impact to the the longer term engine life due to the remaining old oil?

Can that remaining oil last another full OCI?

For many years Honda's maintenance schedule has shown oil filter change intervals every other oil change. When the oil filter is left on there's even more dirty oil left in the engine than when dropping the filter. Yet Hondas last forever so leaving some old oil in the engine isn't going to make much if any difference as long as the oil is changed at least as regularly as the manufacturer's schedule shows, or better.

The maintenance minder determines whether there is a filter change or not, based on severe service and many other factors. Unless you drive a lot of highway miles under low load, and lower than normal drive cycles, will the system recommend Service A, no filter change. All other conditions require a filter change.

My family had a 1977 Honda CVCC that survived three teenagers, I own a 1985 Honda VF700 Sabre since new, and now my daughter has a used CR-V. They have been reliable and well made for the most part. They do not last forever.

What is the motivation for Honda, and Toyota for some years to recommend every other filter changes. Is it due to their government in Japan requiring certain reduction in non-recyclable, hazardous waste such as used oil filters. Their limited resources, much they have to import, their limited land mass for landfills, and their ever increasing population. Or is it they just think leaving a filter in place for 2x the OCI perfectly acceptable and there is no longer term sideaffects. Companies make cost benefit decisions all the time, even when a possible shortened engine life may result. In the former they likely adopted it worldwide so as not to cause confusion, or objection from domestic customers for the differing standard.

I went back 10 years on this forum and reviewed the same discussion on Honda filter change interval (FCI). Most contributors opted for every OCI, as they could not understand the reasoning to leave the filter in due to the amount of used oil and contaminates that would dilute the new oil. Some speculated that the used filter would become more efficient with heavier loading of the media. This may be accurate for an air filter, and little harm will be caused by heavy loading of an air filter, unlike loading an oil fitler, possibly to a point of causing it to by-pass, especially in cold climates. On another forum, a Honda Service rep posted that they always change the filter while under warranty as standard practice and recommend it to other customers.. They are located in the US. It is cheap insurance for them.

I am not convinced in your presumption there is no long term affects on the oil or engine based on Honda recommends 2x FCI. Companies analyze cost benefit decisions all the time, and they do not always fall on the side of the consumer, especially when vehicles that are less likely to be owned for an extended numbers of years.

I am not aware of any OLM or maintenance minder that can detect viscosity, presence of harmful particulates, presence of fuel, glycol or water in the oil. Maybe someday. Blotter tests have been used by transportation companies to detect possible problems in contaminents, fuel, soot, and even water and can made on the spot and indications observed within hours, rather than waiting weeks for a UOAs.

It is well established in the transportation and industrial industries that keeping the oil clean, reducing the introduction of contaminates and at the optimal temperature will greatly extend the oil and engine life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back