Walmart Oil Change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Talent_Keyhole
Originally Posted by OilUzer
Experts say tribofilm is good and not to worry ...

Are you talking about Tribofilms created by Extreme Pressure lubricants such as ZDDP? Please elaborate?

My understanding is that according to experts , some left-over oil is not a bad thing. Some even change the filter every other time ... The leftover oil helps with forming new or preserving the existing tribofilm and I assume it may help with the wear and tear ... How significant, I don't know.

Maybe Shannow or others can elaborate. I am not an expert and all I got after reading some threads/posts regarding this subject, was not to worry about a little left-over oil. Before bitog, I used to wait or even shake the car till no more oil was dripping!
grin2.gif

"My understanding according to experts....." Pretty much sums it regarding your contribution. Next.

my understanding now is that you are a VERY rude person!
How old are you?

Wrong again. You can wait a year and that oil will not drain out. Perform a second oil change within a few miles and you will achieve a 98-99% exchange. - you can't be serious, are you? Apparently we've now passed into the realm of the ludicrous.....‚

When was the last time your personally rebuilt one of these modern engines? - huh? That has nothing to do with nothing. You don't need to be a dentist in order to discuss toothpaste either, get my point?

If you personally don't care, why even respond. - because sometimes i delight in commenting on fatuous posts like this one. ...🤘

Perform a second oil change after running the engine up to temp. Simple. Some people do this all the time in their transmissions, sometimes 3-4 times to get rid of most of the old fluid, instead of full fluid exchange by a professional.

Sure, but how often are you gonna do that on a tranny.. once every 3~5yrs or even longer if you're someone like me who doesn't rack up a whole lotta miles annually? What you're suggesting is doing this after every oil change, which could be as frequent as every 2 to 3 months..not only is that wasteful and stupid, it doesn't guarantee you anything in re to engine life. I'd lmao (not at you personally) if you did all this after a few years just to only see your car totaled by a distracted teen. ...‚.. what an epic waste of money and time that would be.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by OVERKILL
The original oil sump contained 25 ppm iron wear. The new mixture within a few minutes contained 5 ppm iron wear. Actually TBN dropped by 10% along with viscosity.

That is not irrelevant. Would you purchase new oil that had 5 ppm wear metals and have viscosity and TBN that did not meet new oil standards, and containing measurable fuel dilution. My guess is that would be NO and you and the average owner would be returning the product and calling customer service to file a complaint or reporting to PQIA. In fact such oil has been reported by them.

I don't see any evidence in the OP that you performed a UOA on both the oil removed from service and the oil that replaced it, sampled immediately after you did a single drain/fill, only that you did a blotter test, so where is this 25ppm coming from? Also, keep in mind that Blackstone says UP TO, the volume of oil left over varies significantly with engine design. Your anecdote about your wife's Aveo points more to the use of a subpar lubricant than the result of a lack of flushing, I've never done a flush on any vehicle I've ever owned and I've never lost an engine, and have always run significantly longer intervals than your wife's car.

Again, we are talking about parts per MILLION, I also see no evidence that you tested TBN. It sounds like you are adding "facts" to your analysis after the fact here to continue to support the narrative that you've spun in the OP. Nobody does flushes, the amount of vehicles on here driven WAY past the mileage on your wife's Aveo, some even using conventional oil changed at longer intervals that have maintained clean internals despite the lack of flushes should speak as to the spurious nature of the assertion that it is necessary or even beneficial. It isn't, it's gross over complication and waste of resources resulting in no tangible benefit. The million mile GMC van, the million mile Ford van, neither of those vehicles received flushes or even had the lubricants changed at conservative intervals.

LOL, I never said that I did a UOA on that engine in my OP. You repeatedly said the remaining oil in an engine will be diluted by the new oil and is irrelevant.

Where is your evidence that retention of wear metals that pass through your oil filter is not causing accelerated wear in the engine, or the old oil is not oxidizing to a point where it is leaving varnish, sludge, and build-up of carbon, plugging the oil drain holes under your oil control rings, causing stuck rings, and massive blow by and oil consumption. Have you heard of by-pass filters and their benefits? Like you said, oil does not go bad on its own.

I never said it was fixed amount or percentage. it does vary. My 2.4L Ecotec with VVT retains about 10-12% and it only has one cylinder head and two cams. A smaller turbo charged engine, say a 1.4 liter with smaller sump, and oil lines and turbo would likely be a higher percentage. When you get into the V engines with 6 and 8 cylinders, your have two cylinder heads with dual cams, two seperate VVT systems, larger capacity pumps, the mulitple oil galleries in each head. It gets even higher. Other members have already looked up their factory service manuals and confirmed that these modern engines retain much more oil than in previous years. My first engine rebuild was a Ford 289, V-8 in 1983. It had only one cam, rocker arms, solid lifters. Very little oil was found still in the engine upon teardown. Not the case with these newer engine designs.

So you counter my so called anecdote with one of your own. I am impressed. You said if I change the oil on a regular basis I need not worry about sludge, varnish and carbon or any of that residual oil. Now you speculate and make incredulous claims that the Mobil 1 and Pennzoil oil she uses is a subpar lubricant. The sponsor of this forum may not be please with your comment.

Now its a waste of resource and complicated, and only a million parts per million of wear metals and no tangible benefits. How much is too much. 100 ppm, a 1000 ppm. Why do labs flag wear rates and limits of less than 100 ppm and recommend immediate oil changes.

Any now you finish off with more anecdotal accounts of million mile vehicles without flushing. Only a few examples. What about the millions of vehicles that did not make it past a fraction of that mileage. Please provide your evidence seeing that you demand that of me. Next you will claim that the engineers at the OEMs accounted for this percentage of oil to be pushed to twice it's life expectancy without any harmful affects.

Now that wasted all your ammo, care to present your evidence that retention of wear metals, fuel contamination, air borne hard particulates, water contamination in some cases, depleted additives, soot, sludge and carbon in the old oil has no negative affect on the new oil or the engine.

Are you talking about Tribofilms created by Extreme Pressure lubricants such as ZDDP? Please elaborate?

My understanding is that according to experts , some left-over oil is not a bad thing. Some even change the filter every other time ... The leftover oil helps with forming new or preserving the existing tribofilm and I assume it may help with the wear and tear ... How significant, I don't know.

Maybe Shannow or others can elaborate. I am not an expert and all I got after reading some threads/posts regarding this subject, was not to worry about a little left-over oil. Before bitog, I used to wait or even shake the car till no more oil was dripping!
grin2.gif

"My understanding according to experts....." Pretty much sums it regarding your contribution. Next.

How old are you?

I have been part of auto and motorcycle forums for 35 years. A cherish the days when you could actually debate and exchange information rather than dealing with snowflakes who like to throw around terminology, can't explain what they say, and then have to point to others because they are unwilling to educate themselves on the subject.

Was I rude enough for you.

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter

Wrong again. You can wait a year and that oil will not drain out. Perform a second oil change within a few miles and you will achieve a 98-99% exchange. - you can't be serious, are you? Apparently we've now passed into the realm of the ludicrous.....‚

When was the last time your personally rebuilt one of these modern engines? - huh? That has nothing to do with nothing. You don't need to be a dentist in order to discuss toothpaste either, get my point?

If you personally don't care, why even respond. - because sometimes i delight in commenting on fatuous posts like this one. ...🤘

Let me do some basic math. Assuming a 10% retention percentage of old oil after the first oil change. A second oil change will give you another 10% retention. What is 10% of 10. Answer 1%. Then subtract the one from 100 percent and you get 99%. Suggest you review a detailed article on the perils of short volume oil change on Industrial Lubrication site.

When was the last time you rebuilt or even dissembled one of these modern engines? I am guessing never based your "huh" answer. If you had you would know that there is significantly more oil that remains in the engine and cylinder head, compared to older engine design of the past.

Dentist... toothpaste...get real.

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Perform a second oil change after running the engine up to temp. Simple. Some people do this all the time in their transmissions, sometimes 3-4 times to get rid of most of the old fluid, instead of full fluid exchange by a professional.

Sure, but how often are you gonna do that on a tranny.. once every 3~5yrs or even longer if you're someone like me who doesn't rack up a whole lotta miles annually? What you're suggesting is doing this after every oil change, which could be as frequent as every 2 to 3 months..not only is that wasteful and stupid, it doesn't guarantee you anything in re to engine life. I'd lmao (not at you personally) if you did all this after a few years just to only see your car totaled by a distracted teen. ...‚.. what an epic waste of money and time that would be.

Who said you have to waist the flush oil each time? I am sure you can come up with some useful ideas.

What is the cost of a 5qt jug of Supertech from walmart. $15 maybe. You can get an oil change and new filter for $20 at Walmart. How long does it take for drain and refill. 15 minutes.

Now you have to resort to name calling when you run out of arguments.

Where is your evidence that there is no benefit? You have none. LOL

"I'd lmao (not at you personally) if you did all this after a few years just to only see your car totaled by a distracted teen. ...‚.. what an epic waste of money and time that would be." Of course you would LMAO at me personally. Who are you kidding. Your argument is ludicrous. Sign your car over to me and starting riding the bus before it its too late, you know, a teen might total it, right.

3,000+ posts in 9 months. Do you have a job?

Originally Posted by PimTac
This one has been here before.

Still waiting for your evidence to counter my Malarky.

Go fish somewhere else.

grin2.gif

How old are you?

I have been part of auto and motorcycle forums for 35 years. A cherish the days when you could actually debate and exchange information rather than dealing with snowflakes who like to throw around terminology, can't explain what they say, and then have to point to others because they are unwilling to educate themselves on the subject.

Was I rude enough for you.

Now you are funny! for some reason I didn't like "next" ... "snowflake" is kind of funny! lol

Listen, each person can contribute in a different way. We are not all scientist and/or experts. Granted you are also arguing with some of the very knowledgeable and/or expert people here (e.g. overkill) ...

I gave you some info. If you look at it objectively, I talked about tribofilm and that there are many threads/post about it ... Also talked about some people changing the oil filter every other time to retain some old oil. I think old filter may be more effective as well ... Maybe you knew it maybe you don't but I gave you some additional ammo/info to research and/or to consider ... Was just trying to help!

Anyway, good luck with your research!

3,000+ posts in 9 months. Do you have a job?

Ask your mom, she knows.....

a professional is not needed to do a complete transmission fluid flush that includes removing fluid from the torque converter, i have done many when i purchase vehicles that i do not know their past maintenance history. there after i regularly maintain said vehicle without having to do converter flushes but i do a more frequent fluid and filter change thereby allowing me to extend life of transmission beyond its expected life. same with motor oil, do your fluid and filter changes on time and you don't have to worry about any small amount of used oil left in engine.

Originally Posted by PimTac
This one has been here before.

This should have been locked already first time it got personal … but how is a lab getting oil in tiny bottles from a sump (basic no-no in large fixed engines where we take samples from the cooler line hot and loaded.) coming up with data on residual oil.
You got a maverick quart of oil ? Once drained, leave plug out, slide an old plastic bowl to catch that quart's displacement - you just might be surprised … you will not subscribe to 20%

Last edited:
[/quote] I have been part of auto and motorcycle forums for 35 years. A cherish the days when you could actually debate and exchange information rather than dealing with snowflakes who like to throw around terminology, can't explain what they say, and then have to point to others because they are unwilling to educate themselves on the subject.[/quote]

Wow on forums for 35 years? Interesting seeing that the first web-page was launched in 1991 lol.

My first forum / messageboard was major league baseball related in 1999...... 21 years ago and was running Windows 95.
There are five Walmarts within eight square miles of me - all are super-sized and none of em' have a Service Center.

That's interesting … I buy batteries at Walmart because every town I travel to and cities in between have a Walmart auto service center. Ours is even managed by a silvered hair gentleman that had a setup like Clinebarger … until the city re zoned his neighborhood

No doubt super centers vary. My two are 12 mile apart, built identical and back to back … but stocked differently.
The one 12 miles away has more clearance goodies where I can stock up on pool and garden chemicals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back