Walmart Oil Availability and Pricing

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a bit of an odd question, but what brands of conventional oil are available in 5.5 quart jugs at Walmart? Of those, what is the cost per jug?

Also, how much are the 5 quart jugs of conventional oil?

I ask as I haven't been to Walmart in a few months, and the nearest one is 40+ miles away, so I'm curious how the drop in oil prices has affected the price of engine oil.

Thanks.

Supertech is $9.50 5qt
Qs is $10.50 5 qt
Pennzoil yb is $12
Val is $13 (some 5.5qt)
Castrol GTX is $14
Motorcraft is $12

No more Havoline DS.
frown.gif

Syn oils all 5 qts

Supertech $16
Qs $18
PP $19
Synpower $21
Syntec $23
Mobil 1 $26
Mobil 1 ep $29
Edge $29

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Supertech is $9.50 5qt
Qs is $10.50 5 qt
Pennzoil yb is $12
Val is $13 (some 5.5qt)
Castrol GTX is $14
Motorcraft is $12

No more Havoline DS.
frown.gif

Syn oils all 5 qts

Supertech $16
Qs $18
PP $19
Synpower $21
Syntec $23
Mobil 1 $26
Mobil 1 ep $29
Edge $29

Prices vary by store, depending on various factors. Castrol Edge was orignally $34 in most places, but has gone on clearance in many Walmarts. It is still $34.00 where I live. Mobil 1 EP is $28.50. PP is $20.00.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
5.5 quart? None. Valvoline had some 5.5 quart jugs last year, but they're long gone.

I assume those were 5 liter jugs?

Originally Posted By: The Critic
I ask as I haven't been to Walmart in a few months, and the nearest one is 40+ miles away, so I'm curious how the drop in oil prices has affected the price of engine oil.

Prices have come down slightly from their highs, but unfortunately they are not down to previous levels. Oil prices will have to stabilize for a long time at current levels to see significant decreases, although some slight decreases may occur, especially with house branded oils like SuperTech (very good oils by most accounts).

Same syn prices as Mark888 here in Az.
I just bought 5q of M1 10W30 HM for $26, so look for a price cut soon!
smirk2.gif

Originally Posted By: Geonerd
Same syn prices as Mark888 here in Az.
I just bought 5q of M1 10W30 HM for $26, so look for a price cut soon!

The price of synthetics like M1 and Castrol Edge, both with substantial amounts of PAO, have been complicated by the fact that the ExxonMobil PAO plant was shut down last year by Hurricane Ike (it is back up and running now). This is one of the largest (if not the largest) PAO plants in the world.

Mobil 1 was recently offered at substantial discounts at Advance Auto Parts (sale is now over) and Mobil is offering $10 mail in rebates (but rebate coupons must have already been printed). They prefer to do the sales/rebates thing rather than permanently lower the prices, but only time will tell.

If Castrol Edge is offered at or below the price of Mobil 1 on a permanent basis (not just clearance prices) then Mobil would probably respond.

Can't say I recall ever seeing a 5.5qt jug of oil.

On 5 quart jugs, prices vary a little by store but the bottom seems to be around $9.50 - $10 for Super Tech. Current Pennzoil promotion is $12 per jug for YB, $13.50 for HM.

img149.jpg

img150.jpg

img151.jpg

Originally Posted By: Mark888
5.5 quart? None. Valvoline had some 5.5 quart jugs last year, but they're long gone.

My local WM had some 5.5 (yes that's 5 1/2 quarts) Valvoline on sale for $10 about six months ago. I bought the last two jugs they had. I thought the 5.5 size was a little odd at the time, but there are some overhead cam motors that take exactly that.

Around here, selection and price depends on what WM store you go into.

Edit: Got mixed up on the quart/liter thing. Not sure which one it was......Where's my d*mn coffee?

Last edited:

No.

valvoline5.5.jpg

I bought 2 of those last year when Walmart had them for $10.

Originally Posted By: Kruse

My local WM had some 5.5 (yes that's 5 1/2 quarts) Valvoline on sale for $10 about six months ago. I bought the last two jugs they had. I thought the 5.5 size was a little odd at the time, but there are some overhead cam motors that take exactly that.

Around here, selection and price depends on what WM store you go into.

Edit: Got mixed up on the quart/liter thing. Not sure which one it was......Where's my d*mn coffee?

My Taco takes 5.5 quarts, I either have to get 5+1 quarts, or top it off with some oil from a brand new 5qt container.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back