Walmart Price Disparities

Status
Not open for further replies.
In 6 months the M1 went from $23 to $27.17 (as of today). Castrol Edge FST was 31.28 and M1 EP was 30.99. Every time I go in the place prices have gone up. I was mad but I wanted 0w30 and my area AAP and AZ only carry the 0w20 for some reason. I read Lubes 'N' Greases magazine and stock seems to be OK. So what the heck is going on?? I think the oil co.s are just flat out ripping us off.

It used to be that Wal*Mart would say to their vendors, "we need your product to be at $xx.xx price."
But for some reason, they're not able to push the oil companies around.
21.gif

I was told Walmart used to sell motor oil at very low mark-up as they considered it one of the "foundation products" to attract a certain demographic to the store.

I was told the current economic conditions have reduced the need for Walmart to use the same marketing strategies so they have reduced the use of these "foundation products" to attract various demographic groups.

Take it for what it was worth as I have no way to confirm this.

Originally Posted By: Gene K
I was told Walmart used to sell motor oil at very low mark-up as they considered it one of the "foundation products" to attract a certain demographic to the store.

I was told the current economic conditions have reduced the need for Walmart to use the same marketing strategies so they have reduced the use of these "foundation products" to attract various demographic groups.

Take it for what it was worth as I have no way to confirm this.

That could be true, they are still the single largest retailer of motor oil in the US, so it would seem like they could still bargain. All of the major Oil Co.s had 3 or 4 10% percent price increases this year, so wally world, as well as others, had to pass it on I guess. I am mad at myself for paying that today, but I still don't think I could get it anywhere else cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back