Walmart is Hiring

Status
Not open for further replies.
At least someone is hiring in this scary job market...
thumbsup2.gif

I try to stay away from Walmart as much as possible, but do buy the occasional stuff there because I can't get it anywhere else etc.

My best buddies wife is the head computer programmer/analyst for Kroger and Walmart is one of their direct competitors so I do it for that reason too!
thumbsup2.gif

When I set out to find a part-time job to supplement my income in early March, WalMart is the about the only place I never submitted an application to. The crew that mans the WalMart near my house is not a group I care to associate with. They care ZERO about customer service, they're rude, unkempt and could seemingly care less about their jobs. You're known by the company you keep, and the people you work for. The reason they're hiring is very likely due to an astronomical turnover rate.

According to the article they are adding to their employment numbers. My wife worked for WM a few years ago and liked working there. With that said with over 1,000,000 employees I'm sure some are less than desireable.

Originally Posted By: ViragoBry
When I set out to find a part-time job to supplement my income in early March, WalMart is the about the only place I never submitted an application to. The crew that mans the WalMart near my house is not a group I care to associate with. They care ZERO about customer service, they're rude, unkempt and could seemingly care less about their jobs. You're known by the company you keep, and the people you work for. The reason they're hiring is very likely due to an astronomical turnover rate.

You wouldn't have to try hard with those kind of standards... Would be a walk in the park!
LOL.gif
(J/K)

the smart investor buys into panic and negative conditions from cash held on the side as the bubble burst.

Wal mart was sitting on cash, and has an opportunity to position itself for the next cycle by expanding and killing off more of its competition. Just because they are hiring and expanding doesn't mean that they arent providing poor wages and lousy benefits...

They are merely taking advantage of the situation. When things come back up, the folks working there will not be better off, or have an opportunity to truly, directly profit from the situation... but the high-ups at wal-mart will. All those hired by WM are just screwed.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
thumbsup2.gif

A couple of the software companies for whom I do consulting have been adding employees at a very rapid pace. One office in Texas has been adding 4-5 per month, but they are limited because it's difficult to find qualified employees. They've resorted to outsourcing overseas in order to get projects in on time.

The positions range from 50K/year to 80K/year and they have a great work environment (shorts & T-shirt, flexible hours, etc). They simply can't find enough decently educated people to fill all the positions locally.

There are careers available if you have a good education.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Originally Posted By: StevieC
thumbsup2.gif

A couple of the software companies for whom I do consulting have been adding employees at a very rapid pace. One office in Texas has been adding 4-5 per month, but they are limited because it's difficult to find qualified employees. They've resorted to outsourcing overseas in order to get projects in on time.

The positions range from 50K/year to 80K/year and they have a great work environment (shorts & T-shirt, flexible hours, etc). They simply can't find enough decently educated people to fill all the positions locally.

There are careers available if you have a good education.

I went to school for Computer Engineering, but I like the Food Service industry better. I make pretty good money where I am. Albeit it's not an Engineers salary, but I hate working in an office and sifting through lines of code or designing circuits...

Also my partner wouldn't want to relocate to the US.
frown.gif

Thanks for letting me know though...
thumbsup2.gif

I hear so much complaining about people not being able to find work in my town, but it's a bunch of garbage because our wal-mart super center is ALWAYS hiring. They even hang a huge banner outside to advertise this fact. I have a daycare and I've lost several clients recently because they claimed they "applied absolutely everywhere in town" but couldn't get a job. I know better! The economy is in crisis, but it's not bad enough yet to make a lot of people "stoop" to taking a job they don't want.

I am soooo sick of the WM bashing that goes on with members of this site. In the area of 'minimum wage employment' WM is honestly one of the better companies to work for. If you work hard, there ARE lots of opportunities to make a career out of it, and make a decent living.

If you are well educated, then no, you probably won't want to work there. But if you have little skills or education then this type of job is where you work. You want better? EARN IT. Don't complain that WM pays poorly when there are examples of better paying jobs that just require you to make an effort to learn.

Quote:
I am soooo sick of the WM bashing that goes on with members of this site. In the area of 'minimum wage employment' WM is honestly one of the better companies to work for. If you work hard, there ARE lots of opportunities to make a career out of it, and make a decent living.

^^^ THANK YOU !!!!!!!!!!!
Walmart is just a temporary job for many people across this country. Whether they are students, retired people wanting to make a little extra money or for laid off people who need some income while they search for a better job. You get paid for an honest days worth of work. Sure the job sucks and you have to deal with jerks, but if you don't like it... look for a better job with better benefits.

Twenty five years ago I worked at a supermarket called PUBLIX (they are very big in the SE USA) and I hated it.
I had to mop floors, clean the bathrooms (women's bathroom was the worst (blood on the walls, looked like the OJ crime scene)
37.gif
, take out trash, clean spills, clean baby vomit, bag groceries, unload produce/frozen food trucks from the warehouse at 4:00 AM, make bales of compressed cardboard boxes that weigh about 700 Lbs ..etc...etc.

The Publix store managers makes over $100,000 a year with only a high school education. It takes a while to get promoted, but like Addyguy says, there is opportunity to get promoted and make a decent living if you put in the time and work hard, the same goes for Walmart.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
the smart investor buys into panic and negative conditions from cash held on the side as the bubble burst.

Wal mart was sitting on cash, and has an opportunity to position itself for the next cycle by expanding and killing off more of its competition. Just because they are hiring and expanding doesn't mean that they arent providing poor wages and lousy benefits...

They are merely taking advantage of the situation. When things come back up, the folks working there will not be better off, or have an opportunity to truly, directly profit from the situation... but the high-ups at wal-mart will. All those hired by WM are just screwed.

Yeah, it's much better to have them sit at home and collect unemployment...

Quote:
Yeah, it's much better to have them sit at home and collect unemployment...

In many cases taking another job means a loss in benefits. No one is going to take a job for less pay than they're receiving from UC. Many states do allow you to earn in addition to UC as long as it is part time or temporary employment. What that means is that your access to benefits is extended. In PA, the amount that you qualify for is fixed based on your last so many quarters of earnings up to a maximum amount. The distribution is 6 months for 3 months earnings. The amount is fixed, but not the time line of distribution. That is, if you work part time or temporary employment, you reduce your benefit depletion rate and therefore extend its time line.

The problem is, if you're hired full time AT ANY LEVEL OF COMPENSATION, you lose your benefits.

I worked 40 hours a week as a temp ..all for $40 in net income by how it reduced my UC benefits. It did cover the gas to go to work. What I gained was time where benefits would be available if the temporary job ended. I've only collected UC benefits twice in my life. During both bouts, I never stopped working for more than a few weeks even though I was "unemployed" for up to one year.

Baselimne employment is a good thing ..to a point. McDonalds is another great example where someone of no skills can advance to higher stations of compensation.

Even those environments have limits to gainful holding capacity when you have a surplus of people of any skill set.

So you are saying that it's better to mooch off of other people because it is a better deal?

Quote:
Baselimne employment is a good thing

This undercuts everything you have stated in the past.
smirk2.gif

Quote:
So you are saying that it's better to mooch off of other people because it is a better deal?

What are you talking about??? You don't get unemployment benefits unless you've paid into them. Are you suggesting that collecting them twice (and not even fully depleting them) in over 30 years of contribution to the fund, is MOOCHING?

Not a bad attitude of you were a reptile and your parents abandoned you at the time of your hatching.

Quote:
This undercuts everything you have stated in the past.
smirk2.gif

Only if you can't figure out how to quoet in an honest and forthright manner and attempt to promote a non-truth.

It's usually a technique for someone who cannot prove their point by more ethical means.

Quote:
You don't get unemployment benefits unless you've paid into them.

Sure. Of course gov. comes in and extends the benefits. Does that extension come from money that is paid specifically into UI? I don't think so.

In fact:
Quote:
Fourteen states have already run out of funds [2] to pay unemployment insurance claims and taken out a total of more than $8 billion in federal loans to cover the shortfalls. At least 18 more states are in danger of exhausting their unemployment insurance trust funds.

http://www.propublica.org/feature/states...or-planning-604
And:
Quote:
California is paying out so much for jobless benefits and collecting so little in payroll taxes that its unemployment insurance fund could be $17.8 billion in debt by the end of 2010, according to a new report from the state Employment Development Department.

In 2009 and 2010, the state expects to pay out $29 billion in benefits. It will collect just $11 billion. Counting the small positive balance that was in the fund at the end of 2008, the result is a $17.8 billion deficit at the end of 2010.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/06/02/MNSG17UR5H.DTL

Quote:
Only if you can't figure out how to quoet in an honest and forthright manner and attempt to promote a non-truth.

It's usually a technique for someone who cannot prove their point by more ethical means.

Then do please explain how unemployment is good.

When I was on unemployment in IL (for about 4 to 6 weeks) your benefits were reduced by $0.50 per $1 earned until you earned more than your benefits.

So there was no way that you would have less money if you took a job.

I couldn't stand being on unemployment. I went to work for a temp agency doing various IT and clerical jobs, including backups of bank data to optical disk.

What was odd is they didn't really know me, yet would leave me alone in a computer room with 9 track tape, a PC and an optical disk burner to transfer tapes to disk for better storage and retrieval.

I bet a temp off the street wouldn't be left alone with that much sensitive info.

But I couldn't stand doing nothing, so I did the temp thing, to network, etc.

A job at Wal*Mart or anywhere else could be just that, a new opportunity to get to know folks while you are still looking for the right job.

[/So there was no way that you would have less money if you took a job.
quote]

Yes, you could. If you were making $50k+ and were slammed up against the maximum benefit (you would be, at the time peaked at what would be $20k) and ACCEPTED full time employment that was lower than $20k "just to keep busy" ..you LOST your claim.

If, OTOH, you received $100k for one hour of temporary employment, your claim was not terminated, but merely idled for ONE WEEK.

That is, in irregular or temporary employment, PA allowed you to make up to 40% of your benefit without losing benefits. Once you were employed full time, at any level of compensation, you were not eligible ..regardless of your loss.

None of this was disclosed at the onset of UC benefits. Many people who "did the right thing" found out that they inadvertently labored and traveled and ambition'd themselves to lower revenues.

Let's say your benefit was $400/wk. You could make $160 with no loss in benefits. If you made $480/week as a temp, you would have $160 exempt ..and the remaining $320 taken off of your benefit. You would receive a check for $80 ..or ..$2/hour over sitting at home. If it cost you $20 in gas ..and probably an equal amount in other costs, you were working 40 hours for $1/hour.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back