Walmart & batteries

Originally Posted by Donald
Aside from an AGM, what better (easy to get) battery is there than an East Penn manufactured Walmart EverStart Maxx?

That was my logic, and why I got them for both Honda's over the last 6 months.

Napa, who I'd rather deal with, had a great deal on group 49 batteries, so I got one of those when I was swapping the battery in my 82 Mercedes. But the last two times WM was the best place to get EP batteries.

Originally Posted by JHZR2
Aside from an AGM, what better (easy to get) battery is there than an East Penn manufactured Walmart EverStart Maxx?

That was my logic, and why I got them for both Honda's over the last 6 months.

Napa, who I'd rather deal with, had a great deal on group 49 batteries, so I got one of those when I was swapping the battery in my 82 Mercedes. But the last two times WM was the best place to get EP batteries.

It makes sense to because East Penn is so close to your area... It's good to support a real US made battery that is also very good in quality too.

How is a Walmart battery warranty done? Does customer service have a battery tester?

If the location has an auto service center, they test them with a load tester. I realize some stores don't have an auto center so I'm not sure what they do. I can almost say with certainty that they won't have/use a battery load tester at the customer service desk. Could be wrong though.... During this COVID-crap (hope saying that doesn't get this thread locked or made to go 'poof'), with the auto centers closed, I'm guessing the customer service desk just takes your word for it that "it doesn't work", they tell you to grab a replacement, and bring it back to them to do the exchange.

Don't forget if your old battery has a plastic strap handle on top of the battery save it.

The new batteries do not have the straps but still have the slots for the strap lifting handle.

i read walmart buys from the closest supplier, i am close to reading pa where east penn resides, but not sure if they are anywhere else. searching will show that east penn batteries are sold under many names, but specs could be different. a heavier battery of the same size indicates a better battery, + of course fresher is better + fulling charging before installing is a good thing if possible.

I got a new value edition battery a couple weeks back. Jives with this thread:

I brought the core with me into the store before even buying the new one. It was branded NAPA and dirty so they knew I wasn't stealing one of theirs. I got to work on my tan standing in line, but didn't want to do that twice.

Grabbed my $55 battery, took it through self-checkout. Had to scan UPC and serial number.

Took slips straight over to customer service for my core refund.

The value batteries are all odd sizes. I wanted, IIRC, a 24 but they only had 24Rs with reversed terminals. So I got a 65 and hammered down a little lip on my battery tray so it'd fit.
lol.gif

Just had an interesting experience at Walmart. Need a cheap battery for a Gravely walk-behind tractor. I've always used regular 12 volt automotive batteries for that so I picked one out ($48) and went to pay for it. Clerk asked for the vehicle make, year and model. He said that battery was not "approved" for that application and though I could still buy it, the warranty would not apply. I said OK and he proceeded to rip off every sticker on the battery including brand, size, warranty as well as the hazardous and info labels. Now I have a totally naked battery with only the date of manufacture. Seemed strange but I not feel like arguing.

Just had an interesting experience at Walmart. Need a cheap battery for a Gravely walk-behind tractor. I've always used regular 12 volt automotive batteries for that so I picked one out ($48) and went to pay for it. Clerk asked for the vehicle make, year and model. He said that battery was not "approved" for that application and though I could still buy it, the warranty would not apply. I said OK and he proceeded to rip off every sticker on the battery including brand, size, warranty as well as the hazardous and info labels. Now I have a totally naked battery with only the date of manufacture. Seemed strange but I not feel like arguing.
Kinda strange but I guess now you should have just made up a year/make/model or done self checkout where they probably wouldn't have asked any questions. Or at that point after he did that, you could just say forget it.

Never talked to anyone when buying a battery at Walmart. Go to the shelf, look for date stickers, find newest, test voltage, grab best one, go to self checkout and check myself out, it guides you through the warranty registration at the register.
Sounds like a load of poo to me.

I've purchased several batteries at wally, and never talked to a battery jockey to warn me about anything.

Simply put the new one on the counter, and bring the core with me. They deduct the core in the same transaction. Zero issues.

The Panasonic in my truck went 10 years but it must have had 3 cranking amps at the end. I finally gave in and replaced it. I swore the replacement Walmart battery cranked faster, but I think that was confirmation bias "confirming" that it was time. Wife's Camry got a replacement at the 5 year mark though as we thought it was cranking more slowly in winter weather.

1) Jibe means to conform or go with, not jive.

2) Are all the Walmart batteries 2 year warranty? I made a small P-Touch sticker for the G59 I bought which reads, "Warranty to 2/2022-receipt in glove".

i read walmart buys from the closest supplier, i am close to reading pa where east penn resides, but not sure if they are anywhere else. searching will show that east penn batteries are sold under many names, but specs could be different. a heavier battery of the same size indicates a better battery, + of course fresher is better + fulling charging before installing is a good thing if possible.

East Penn batteries in Baltimore.

1) Jibe means to conform or go with, not jive.

2) Are all the Walmart batteries 2 year warranty? I made a small P-Touch sticker for the G59 I bought which reads, "Warranty to 2/2022-receipt in glove".
My last Everstart Maxx is a 5 year (3 year free replacement and year 4-5 being pro-rata).
Their "value" battery is a 1 year replacement.

Back