Wally World SuperTech Full Synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have an experience with SuperTech full synthetic motor oil from Wal-Mart? At $3 a quart it is a whole lot cheaper than the Mobil 1 I use now. If it is any good I would consider changing to it as most Wal-Mart stuff seems to be OK.

Yes, I have and think it's a top-notch oil. If you buy it in the 5qt jugs, it's runs only $2.39/qt! It's probably the ONLY group III on the market that charges a group III price, not a PAO/Group IV price. Thanks Castrol!!
mad.gif
(I'm running for cover, don't flame me! LOL)

UOA of my car:
http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=001663#000000

VOA:
http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=000209#000000

quote:

Originally posted by GROUCHO MARX:
The best value is the Motorcraft, IMO, which is a blend at $1.42.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I'm 99% sure that only the 5w-20 Motorcraft is a blend and all the other Motorcraft oils are straight dino. Not that that makes them bad oils or anything.

the 10w30 has a low flash point below 400F
my 318cu dakota 4x4 burned a quart in 2k miles and this was during winter months.
It did not do this with the wally semi-synth which actually has a higher flash point over 400F. Actually it burn this oil about 1/2 quart in 2k miles, this was end of summer last yr into winter.
The truck has 56k miles, now running rotella T 5w40 for the past 2 months and not burning a drop.
manufacturer calls for a 10w30.

I have been useing the 10w30 Supertech synthetic.Works good for me.I got a stash of 48 quarts now.Local Walmart hardly ever restocks it.So when i see it in stock i buy all they have.Also got 28 Supertech oil filters stashed away.Guess you could call me a Supertech freak.

quote:

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I'm 99% sure that only the 5w-20 Motorcraft is a blend and all the other Motorcraft oils are straight dino. Not that that makes them bad oils or anything.

If you look on the back of the bottle of the MC 5w-30 it says hydrocrack/synthetic blend. I believe the 5w-30 is synthetic/blend. The other weights from what I've heard will be the same in 2005.

Motorcraft also has a Full Synthetic. Maybe not carried at Wal*Mart, but is found at Ford Lincoln Mercury dealerships. I've always thought that if you can afford a new car, then put good oil in it. Value comes to mind also. It's a lot cheaper to use a decent Full Synthetic like Lucas, Red Line, Mobil 1, Royal Purple, Amsoil, blah, blah, blah.....and go with the extended oil change intervals. At $4 a quart for over the counter conventional, in 1 year, you go through 5 times as much oil changing it every 3,000 miles. So figure that at $20 per quart for however many quarts your car needs. As opposed to $8 per quart for brand name Full Synthetic. The same rough formula applies to the filters you use. Extended oil change interval with a K&N or Mobil filter, $12 - 5 discount $4 filters, $20.

Back when I was driving 70+ miles per workday (all highway), I used it for 7,500 mile OCI's with AC Delco PF47's.

It was a much better value proposition, back then. Today, it's only $1 cheaper than QS UD/QHP at my Wal-mart for the 5-quart jug. The QS UD would be my choice today.

Last edited:
If you can afford to purchase a new car, and along with that purchase you also purchase a warranty be it an extended warranty, or the OEM that is built into the sell price. Doing this most people will not want to forgo a warranty claim because of a non spec oil being used, or to long OCI. Also if a high priced synthetic can make it 3 times as long as a conventional.... then the conventional is not being used to the max.... many OCI's on new cars today based on OLM is pushing 10k on conventional, most people don't feel comfortable going that far on conventional so they use synthetic...

I have used the walmart brand oils with great results, however the price on super tech oils have really went up over the last couple of years, so I feel there are better choices when choosing a good cheap oil. I'm not sure what to say about the quality of these oils, I ran the supertech synthetic out to 7500 miles on my Honda with no problems, however the manufacture OCI is 7500 on conventional.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back