Wal-Mart

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went into my local wal-mart and noticed an increase in oil prices. The old Mobil 1 dropped to 3.88, but motorcraft was $1.88, trop artic was 1.29. There were printed signs all over the place "MOTOR OIL LIMIT-2 CASES PER CUSTOMER"

I've seen many places other then Wal-Mart have a limit on how many cases you can buy. Meijer's and the ansersons both have case limits. I work at a Wal-Mart distribution center. The way oil is cared for and distributed to the stores is more costly then other merchandise of the same box size. At the warehouse, the oil is stored in racks that have fire sprinklers just above the pallets of oil on every level from 6 feet all the way up to the top level. The motor oil storage area is also designed to handle spills, it is in a shallow, three inch trench. I bet the distribution center cant keep up with the demand for the stores it serves if they are placing case limits on oil.

"I bet the distribution center cant keep up with the demand for the stores it serves if they are placing case limits on oil."
-------------------------------------------------------------

Bingo! Little doubt about that. I think it's Wally's biggest obstacle in maintaining growth, keeping the shelves stocked in a limited space/time environment.

At the Food Lion DC I worked at, there was no special attention paid to motor oil on the racks.. it wasn't even in the fire-proof room witht he other ORM-D stuff.

Why in the world is there a limit? What is the difference between 1 person buying 10 cases and 5 people buying 2 cases each?

I would just do what I normally do.....buy 2 cases, take them out to the car, go back in the store, buy 2 more cases, take them out to the car....wash, rinse, repeat.

"Why in the world is there a limit? What is the difference between 1 person buying 10 cases and 5 people buying 2 cases each?"
---------------------------------------------------------------

Their thinking might be that they are more likely to lose the customer that got nothing and not the customers who were limited
dunno.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back