Wal*Mart to the rescue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nephew has that "new" used Volvo. We already changed the PSF and the air filter and located the sticker indicating the timing belt was done 10k ago. With a bottle of ARX sitting here and cold temps too, it's time for a change after 3 weeks of ownership. He works in the same town where I have my business, so I grabbed the car from him to do an "away" oil change with the Havoline Synth 5w-40 I already had. The filter was actually not a problem, I made sure it would move before dumping the oil.

The freaking drain bolt was tizz-ite. It was a partly rounded 17mm, with a very short head. Nice. In the snowing +20f weather, even parking the car over a ditch did not let me get room enough and bite enough to get it.

I knew it was time to quit and take it over to one of the T&LE I frequent. This is where it gets interesting. We settled on a price, which was oddly negoiated down from the "Synthetic" price...since I was ~using~ (my) synthetic oil. That got it down to like $29, I sorta balked because a basic change is about $22, both sides pretended not to understand the other....ended at $18. Target price was $20, so that was fine, especially considering the pita factor of handling used oil during an "away" (from home) change.

The guy started by checking/topping all the fluids and talking to me about the job. I complained about the bolt and the cold etc. Said it was a new used car and I'd run over and get a new bolt from Volvo if needed....I kinda wanted one but did not have time.

As the job progressed, I notice they flushed out the engine with fresh oil and the guy said he replaced the rounded short 17mm with a new 19mm one. No extra charge. Pretty cool. The old one he gave me was not really that bad, just a poor design. It took no more than 20 minutes until I was off. My only complaint was they did not fully drain the quarts of sweet Porsche-Approved goodness. No Fram TG either, but I had a ST-16 to comfort me.

Wal*Mart T&LE is an excellent service in most cases. Where else can you choose from 100 different oils? (Pep Booys, yeeechk!) I get a lot of tire work there and they always nail exactly what I want done with very few exceptions. $40 m&b a set of tires is pretty good.

My dad almost always goes to Wal-Mart if I am unable to do an oil change to his car. He gets a great deal on Mobil1 EP 5w30.

I've had a lot of problems with incompetent workers at the Wal-Mart TLE's here in Grand Rapids & Grandville that can't seem to do a tire balancing for the life of them, and both locations failed to inflate the tires to proper PSI (the tires they rotated from the back have lower pressure and they forget to re-inflate them even though they check off that they do) and the last time we took my mom's car there for the balancing/tire rotation service she purchased with her new tires there, they didn't get the balancing right and the car was shimmying and making a bumping sensation from one of the wheels on the highway so we had to take it back for the 3rd time. For oil changes though, I've never had any problems. I took my old car there twice (before I did oil changes myself) and my friend goes there occasionally with his family's vehicles.

Last edited:
Walmart mounted tires for me I bought at Tirereck and even though I took it back a 2nd time, I still have slow leaks requiring weekly air. The tire valve is most likely the problem is a metal one and designed for high pressure tires, not the 29 lbs in my Camry.

I had two of the tires replaced at Sams (who owns Walmart) and they said the rims were clean and it was the wrong tire valve causing a slow leak.

So I will avoid Walmart for service.

The short 3min edit time hindered me from re-writing my post a bit better. I hope everyone understands the flow of events. A new free drain bolt....upgraded! w00t! Never heard of a complementary flush either. (it'd been a bit better if they let me start and idle, even with 2-3 quarts of clean oil as a real flush)

Anyway, maybe they are not calibrating the balancer? I drive [censored] fast and have had nothing but good luck with TLE. If there was any issues....I'd be the first to say so and cease going back to them.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Walmart mounted tires for me I bought at Tirereck and even though I took it back a 2nd time, I still have slow leaks requiring weekly air. The tire valve is most likely the problem is a metal one and designed for high pressure tires, not the 29 lbs in my Camry.

I had two of the tires replaced at Sams (who owns Walmart) and they said the rims were clean and it was the wrong tire valve causing a slow leak.

So I will avoid Walmart for service.

Here locally, neither Sam's nor Wal-Mart will mount someone else's tires, nor will they allow carry-out purchases of tires - you MUST let them install/balance or they will not sell you their tire.

I buy all my tires at WallyWorld exclusively because they have the best price by far on any given tire. But service is extremely slow. They may not have another car in sight and you'll still probably wait a couple of hours or more.

They've been reluctant to honor their lifetime rotate/balance agreements on a couple of occasions, too, claiming the tires were wearing fine and didn't need it, or, the tread on the drive tires were just a tiny bit deeper than the others and therefore it wasn't safe to rotate them. Not kidding.

But, alas, I'm an insistent little consumer.

grin2.gif

Quote:
The freaking drain bolt was tizz-ite. It was a partly rounded 17mm, with a very short head. Nice. In the snowing +20f weather, even parking the car over a ditch did not let me get room enough and bite enough to get it.

It seems to me that you need to invest in a pair of Vise-Grips and come automotive lifting equipment.
grin2.gif

In that case I would have went straight on with the Vise-Grips and then turned the Vise-Grips with a large Crescent.
grin2.gif

I have short Vise-Grips with a hook or "beak" shaped top, didn't think to use them and did not have them with me. Crescent wrench alone is pretty good, but that short head on the bolt is a definate deal-killer. I think the bolt is engineered to make DIY service not easy and return of the vehicle to a professional an eventual certianty.

I guess under the circumstances of laying in a snow covered ditch, while looking up at a damaged thin head drain plug, that Wal*Mart's T&L Express was a viable option.
grin2.gif

So, I get a "pass" on this one? It's pretty rare that I have to throw in the towel.

Everytime I have to deal with a drain plug that is for some reason less than optimal, the first thing that I do is warm it up with a propane torch. Seems that drain plugs come loose with less effort after being heated up.

...or, go to Wal-Mart and run the chance of them screwing it up even worse...
12.gif

Maybe the drain plug is real stubby short to make it less susceptible to road hazards. It hangs down low? If so, be glad it's on the bottom of the pan to get the last of the junk out.

My walmart TLE did a decent (perfect) job putting tires on a hyundai accent I was putting together for my sister. Also they did a co-worker's battery for free and saved her the bother of paying the battery deposit only to return the core an hour later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back