Wal-Mart fined for off-grade SuperTech Gear Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Rolf
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Should I park the car outside on the street or it is okay to have it in the garage ?

Put it on a large plastic tarp to catch the puddle it's about to melt into.

How did you know it was mean to be funny ?

11.gif

Originally Posted By: Bryanccfshr
.... the negative press that AN's produced from another promenent member caught my attention.

Alkylated napthalenes could hardly result in "negative press".

The total package of base stock, blend stocks, and additives determine the final product, not the existence of one particular blend stock.

Alkylated napthalenes offer some significant advantages over esters as a blend stock.

Why is the title of this thread
Quote:

but the 2nd poster changed it to;
Quote:
API's Response to Valvoline's Claim

then posts dozens of times the SAME agenda?

Some people would call that trolling.....
smirk2.gif

Still waiting for comments about the orginal subject.

NOT the REHASH of the Mobil 1 garbage...

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Why is the title of this thread
Quote:

but the 2nd poster changed it to;
Quote:
API's Response to Valvoline's Claim

then posts dozens of times the SAME agenda?

Some people would call that trolling.....
smirk2.gif

Still waiting for comments about the orginal subject.

NOT the REHASH of the Mobil 1 garbage...

Interesting point - I was curious about the original post too, so I followed the link to the site that has the Walmart news item, and sure enough Walmart and Warren oil paid a largish ($300k or so) fee to a California county and city to settle a claim (without admitting fault or liability) because the local bureau of weights and measures found that ST Gear Oil was out of spec.

It just seems so odd that this would happen. You have to wonder if other cities and counties across the US will follow suit - if the same batch of oil was sold there, they may also have a claim on the manufacturer and the brand-owner.

Mobil never comes up in the original article. Neither did API. It was a local authority that tagged them for off-spec products.

Originally Posted By: Tom NJ
A lubricant failing a required specification? Oh dear. Wonder if their license was pulled?
27.gif

http://www.jobbersworld.com/January 19, 2009.htm

Tom NJ

Although I'm not interested in the M1 discussion here (it bores me), I appreciate the info on the gear oil discrepancies. Thanks Tom.

Do you know anything more about what the viscosity grade in question was? Or was it a viscosity index (base stock) issue? I've been suspicious of all 75W-90 GL5's for a long time (not just store brands) meeting cSt@100C specs. Uoa's routinely show them to barely meet, and sometimes fall short of J306 specs. I have found SAE90 GL5's to hit right on the numbers though. I'm not afraid to use a 75W-90 in front diff and transfer case, but prefer a SAE90 or SAE110 in a rear diff.

This was interesting in that article:
"It is unknown if any engines were damaged by the bad oil"
I was unaware that gear oil was used in engines.
LOL.gif

This begs the question of what other SuperTech oils fail to meet viscosity or other important specifications? Many people use SuperTech motor oil. How much of it it, if any, can one use with confidence?

Rumple

Originally Posted By: rumple
This begs the question of what other SuperTech oils fail to meet viscosity or other important specifications? Many people use SuperTech motor oil. How much of it it, if any, can one use with confidence?

Rumple

Exactly!!!!!!!I was thinking of buying some Supertech Tranny Fluid. Even though it wasn't mentioned I now have my doubts. Why would I want to gamble with a product that could "IMO" be substandard...........

JMO,
Frank D

There are no "watchdog" groups like API to "regulate" the so called quality control of all other lubricants except engine oil, correct?

Why is that? I don't want to turn this into an API debate for Pablo, but we seem to not care that gear oils, grease, and other fluids don't need an extra certification.

I wonder if the gear oil in this case was "dumbed down" to meet WM price mandates or it was just operator error.

Quote:
Alkylated Naphthalenes

There is some good info posted by Molekule on AN's.

I'm not a chemist so I don't know the pro's/con's of AN's vs esters. XOM obviously claims they have some properties that are better than esters, but I think that is a over generalization. Some have mentioned using AN's was a cost saver for XOM. However, they are still using POE's as well afaik.

Quote:
API has been testing off-the-shelf engine oils carrying the API Starburst and Donut under its Aftermarket Audit Program (AMAP) since 1994 and in 1999 began testing API-licensed product dispensed from tanks and drums at quick-lube facilities, service stations, auto dealerships, and truck maintenance facilities. Since 1994, API has tested approximately 7,000 API-licensed oils from around the world.

Interesting. It appears the API's AMAP program tests oils dispensed from tanks and drums, but doesn't test oils marketed in bottles.

Quote:
API went on to say, "Under AMAP, API-licensed engine oils are purchased in the marketplace and bench-tested to determine their physical and chemical properties. The results are compared to licensee formulations on file at API. Conforming oils show bench-test results that are consistent with the formulations and meet program requirements. All samples undergo elemental analysis, viscosity at 100°C, and high-temperature/high-shear testing. They may also be tested for cold cranking, pumpability, volatility, foaming, filterability, rust and corrosion inhibition, and shear stability. Product packages are checked to make sure they correctly display the API Marks and carry product trace codes. A number of bench-tested oils undergo actual industry sequence engine testing for oxidation, deposits, sludge, varnish, and wear."

It's interesting to that a number (but not all) oils undergo testing for wear (which could include sequence IVA) under the AMAP.

Since not all oils are subjected to wear testing as part of the auditing process, the issue could have escaped API's notice. However, since the API was made aware of the issue, you would think they would take an interest beyond just explaining their process. Their statements explain how E-M's goof (hopefully a temporary mistake) may have gone unnoticed, but it doesn't explain why no additional actions are apparently needed. Though not intentional, the API's explanation and failure to take further action serves to undermine their image and credibility.

Quote:
Since not all oils are subjected to wear testing as part of the auditing process, the issue could have escaped API's notice. However, since the API was made aware of the issue, you would think they would take an interest beyond just explaining their process. Their statements explain how E-M's goof (hopefully a temporary mistake) may have gone unnoticed, but it doesn't explain why no additional actions are apparently needed. Though not intentional, the API's explanation and failure to take further action serves to undermine their image and credibility.

+1.

I posted on the first page about the API being a joke and why they are not the ones catching these out of spec products? A county W&M finds the oil is not up to spec? Makes the API look like fools!

Where is the API and there 7000 oils tested since 1994?

Why is a fine the only punishment?

How about the consumer??

I stand by my statement the API is a joke and the foxes are watching the hen house.

I'm sure a certain someone will tell us how great the API is and want the bottle # of oil and address of lab used to prove this oil is out of spec.

Does anyone think they make this oil 1 bottle at a time? If there is 1 bottle of bad product found it MUST come from a large product run and not a single bad bottle.

Once again the big corporate power trumps the consumer and the big bad watchdog API that is there to PROTECT the public sits back and does nothing but collect money. I've seen this before somewhere.......

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: rumple

Rumple

Exactly!!!!!!!I was thinking of buying some Supertech Tranny Fluid. Even though it wasn't mentioned I now have my doubts. Why would I want to gamble with a product that could "IMO" be substandard...........

JMO,
Frank D

Lost in the cloud of the M1 fanboys and haters is the fact that I use (past tense?) the gear oil in my ATV and other toys, I use the supertech grease in some farm applications, and occassionaly have used supertech oil in mowers and such. Can I trust Walmart and Warren? Even if not intentional, is quality control an issue.?

Anyone thinking as I am about the possibility that EM sent (their) "Rolf" here to try and cast doubt here on BITOG to Ashland's testing and results?

I've always thought that DC was the home of the best spin doctors....

No offense intended, Rolf. I was just thinking out loud.

I usually get into trouble when I do that.

Then again, I'm not sure how much EM cares about what we think here.

Originally Posted By: Brian Barnhart
Quote:
API has been testing off-the-shelf engine oils carrying the API Starburst and Donut under its Aftermarket Audit Program (AMAP) since 1994 and in 1999 began testing API-licensed product dispensed from tanks and drums at quick-lube facilities, service stations, auto dealerships, and truck maintenance facilities. Since 1994, API has tested approximately 7,000 API-licensed oils from around the world.

Interesting. It appears the API's AMAP program tests oils dispensed from tanks and drums, but doesn't test oils marketed in bottles.

To me, that quote means that they now test bulk oil as well as bottled. They had only previously been checking bottled oil.

Originally Posted By: Firehawk409
ford's mod motors will never ever keep up with the lsx series engines...uummm errrr....woops wrong forum.

LMAO, yes, and that's why the LSx has the Ford firing order and the LSx heads will bolt onto a Windsor 351/302.....
wink.gif
28.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back