Status
Not open for further replies.
Definitely.

Yeah as Bobert just posted...

There is only one Mobil 1 5w30

1. 5w30
2. 5w30 SUV
3. 5w30 EP

I only see ONE Mobil 1 5w30. The others are "SUV" and "EP".

LOL. The state of denial by using old debate tricks. Ok this is just ridiculous at this point. Rolf have a field day posting more. I encourage it. It's only going to make it look even more silly. Have fun.

Originally Posted By: Bobert
Well here is the ad on the Valvoline site. Looks like the plain jane Mobil 1 5w-30 bottle.

Is that the very bottle they tested?

Or you absolutely sure that the ad guys didn't just grab a bottle of something that said "Mobil 1" and "5W-30" on it for the photo shoot, but the lab guys test Mobil 1 5W-30 EP?

If I show you the Slick 50 ads from years ago with graphs and everything, will you believe that Slick 50 "plates" your engine with Teflon?

Originally Posted By: buster
Definitely.

I repeat, there is only one Mobil 1 5w30

Mobil seems to think there are four.

But they're liars and thieves, so never mind.

Originally Posted By: endeavor to persevere
Ignorance is curable, while stupidity last a life time.

You prove it every day?

And you don't really want to make this personal.

Planning on boring me to death?

Or gumming me severely?

Mobil one is not my enemy,like you I have used it in the past (when I got a truckload of 0w30 SL for cheap!
But the consistant high iron readings, as well as the odd way that Exxon has handled this brand since they bought it making it a marketing marvel but seemin to underperform the hype.
THe Mobil1 of the 70's and 80's was well ahead of any off the counter oil. Today they seem to be a pretty bottle and well known brand.

I admit, I lost faith in M1 befor ethe sequence IVA failure, and before the grp III hoopla. It must have been after I ran it and got better performance from a conventional oil when I switched back.

http://www.imakenews.com/lng/e_article001295961.cfm?x=b11,0,w

Quote:
Smith said that over the last two years, Valvoline conducted a number of tests and commissioned an independent laboratory to evaluate the performance of SynPower and segment leader Mobil 1 in the wear test. The labs used SAE 5W-30 because it is is the top-selling viscosity grade.

“What we can speak to from the data is in the Sequence IVA test – which is the primary wear test for API , ILSAC and for many of the North American and Asian OEMs – we show a very large, significant benefit,” for Valvoline’s SynPower, Smith said.

Valvoline asserted that because its tests show Mobil 1 5W-30 does not meet basic API SM or ILSAC GF-4 specifications, “that means Mobil 1 5W-30 cannot meet basic GM, Ford, Chrysler or Honda specifications.”

Originally Posted By: Rolf
Ignorance is curable, while stupidity last a life time.

You prove it every day?

And you don't really want to make this personal.

Planning on boring me to death?

Or gumming me severely?

You are crossing the line. I do not call you names, attack you personally or call you ignorant like you did me. Yes I think you are nothing but a Mobil 1 fanboy. You take it to extremes. Most people on here are either here to learn or for entertainment. Its people like you that usually ruin it for everybody. You need to back the heck off of me and I will do the same for you. Thats a fact...Jack

Originally Posted By: Bryanccfshr
I admit, I lost faith in M1 befor ethe sequence IVA failure, and before the grp III hoopla.

Knowing what you like is fine.

Just remember it has literally nothing to do with facts.

ford's mod motors will never ever keep up with the lsx series engines...uummm errrr....woops wrong forum.

I tell ya I have never in my life thought I would read a thread like this.lol waaay outta my league i tell ya. I'll just try to sit back and learn something out of of all this.

You are crossing the line.

You've been crossing the line for some time.

I do not call you names, attack you personally or call you ignorant like you did me.

You might want to read what you post.

Does "Bubba" ring any bells?

Yes I think you are nothing but a Mobil 1 fanboy.

I could care less.

Most people on here are either here to learn or for entertainment.

That puts you pretty squarely on the entertainment side.

You've made it clear that getting some facts would spoil your fun.

Mr Rolf, Mickey M or who ever you are. I don't believe Bubba is a derogatory name. I believe I made it clear to you to back off and I would do the same for you. What part of that don't you understand???

buster,

As I recall within the last two years Terry chimed in on a post regarding the high iron people were seeing in UOA's with Mobil 1 5W-30. (I've been trying to find the actual post but can't.) IIRC people were debating possible causes of the high iron results and Terry said something to the effect of "or maybe it's actual camshaft wear...")

For me, that was the conclusion of the mystery. When the T man is kind enough to throw a bone ol' REDDOG tries to catch it.

I think we are finally seeing others in the industry catch on. I have nothing against Exxon Mobil andI have bought my share of their oil (I think earlier versions of Mobil 1 5W-30 were a quality product) and think they continue to produce some of the finer oils on the planet (namely Delvac 1). However, if someone produces a product that bears an API cert, it darn well aught to meet that spec, especially when it is marketed as a premium product.

Time will tell but my gut tells me there is validity to Ashland's claims.

REDDOG

Dang, I just changed oil in '04 Honda S2000 with 4 quarts M1 5W30 blue cap plus 1 quart M1 15W50 red cap, all the bottles are SL I bought few years ago from PepBoys with BOGO calendar special.

Is problem with passed/failed sequence IVA test associate with GF4/SM only or with GF3/SL also ?

So far the car runs fine, no fire nor explosion of any kind under the hood.

Should I park the car outside on the street or it is okay to have it in the garage ? Should I ARX it to prevent whatever problem for using M1 5W30 GF3/SL ?

Mr Rolf, Mickey M or who ever you are. I don't believe Bubba is a derogatory name.

Let's see, "Mickey M" and "Bubba" in two sentences.

Yes, you're winning me over with that smooth talk.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Should I park the car outside on the street or it is okay to have it in the garage ?

Put it on a large plastic tarp to catch the puddle it's about to melt into.

Originally Posted By: REDDOG
buster,

As I recall within the last two years Terry chimed in on a post regarding the high iron people were seeing in UOA's with Mobil 1 5W-30. (I've been trying to find the actual post but can't.) IIRC people were debating possible causes of the high iron results and Terry said something to the effect of "or maybe it's actual camshaft wear...")

I took that bone to heart when he posted it. A very rare freebie from a very real pro. He dropped several hints regarding this.

Originally Posted By: REDDOG
As I recall within the last two years Terry chimed in on a post regarding the high iron people were seeing in UOA's with Mobil 1 5W-30.

Some people are still getting great results from all three 5W-30 formulas and the 0W-30.

Toyotas in general seem to love all of them.

Bryanccfshr,

Good, so you remember this too! No matter what tests Mobil 1 5W-30 passes or does not pass, that was all I needed to hear! I approached all of Terry's posts like a student of Zen, searching for every hidden pearl. But man, he laid that one right out in the open!

REDDOG

He must have thought it was important. THat and the negative press that AN's produced from another promenent member caught my attention.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back