Wal-Mart fined for off-grade SuperTech Gear Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: cven
The question is does the API guard the gear oil??

No.

ASTM produces a test method and criterion, and API publishes the specification.

It's a joke.

I do think most people are under the impression that an API gl-5 ect.. lube is not only the right spec but is also a quality assurance. I sure did, but I will no longer look at API and think Quality. Thanks again for the info.

It's a joke.

I do think most people are under the impression that an API gl-5 ect.. lube is not only the right spec but is also a quality assurance.

In population of professionals in automotive, aviation, and truck design, repair, and manufacture as is here, and oil and lubrication professionals, it seems highly unlikely that most of them would take the reference to API GL5 or the other gear lube specs as a quality assurance.

In the general population of folks who drive cars, I would guess that at most 2% would even know what acronym "API" stands for, and fewer still would know that GL5 is a gear lube spec.

Most people never change the gear lube never-mind getting technical with specs.

Thats kind of why I think an oil spec should be a cut and dry. The spec in the manual is all you have.

I remember something about an aviation oil that was pulled off the market after it passed all the required test. I guess all the "professionals" went by a special spec and not what was recommended by the maker?

I am not surprised that the gear oil that is marketed by WM did not meet the viscosity spec on the label. I read a "white paper" a while back that included multiple gear oil ASTM type tests and remember that several lubes did not meet some specs right out of the bottle, never mind the ones that failed one test or another soon after testing began to stress the limits of each formula. Some were out of spec very soon, IIRC.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

the LSx heads will bolt onto a Windsor 351/302.....
wink.gif
28.gif

And make more HP then stock Ford heads.
45.gif

Unless we consider Cleveland heads, you are 100% correct. The Cathedral Port LSx heads are vastly superior to all the old iron nuggets that Ford used on the Windsor engine. Of course, like the task of fitting Cleveland heads to a Windsor which requires a custom intake manifold, the same applies to the task of fitting LSx heads to the Windsor as well.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

The chairman of the API is also the chairman of ExxonMobil.

The fox really does guard the hen house!

Thought you might get a kick out of that
wink.gif

Why does the API even bother to test motor oil and various products if nothing will be done if a product is not within specs? Seems like a waste of time to me.

There should be some sort of independent testers maybe from some governmental agency that do random checks.

If the API is not going to enforce there license then I might as well start using unlicensed boutique oils. THey(the API) don't want independent oversight, they want the revenue stream from licensees. Just like any other trade, professional or industrial representative organization....Amsoil and redline are looking pretty good WHo the heck can blame Royal Purple for their stance?:? THe API appears to be a paper tiger

Last edited:
API, ACEA, ILSAC, UOA's none of this matters in the long-run. What matters is how your engine holds up running the product over the long-run. You could use only an API certfied motor oil, or not use Mobil-1 and use Amsoil etc. Only time will tell.
grin2.gif

I stand by my statement the API is a joke and the foxes are watching the hen house.

maybe adhering to ILSAC and/or ACEA would pay more dividends for us?

Originally Posted By: Bryanccfshr
If the API is not going to enforce there license then I might as well start using unlicensed boutique oils.

Gear lubes are not licensed.

THey(the API) don't want independent oversight, they want the revenue stream from licensees.

The API is a trade group, not an oversight board.

If you want an oversight board, write the new President and see what he can do about setting up a new government bureaucracy.

The API does what it does for the good of the industry in cooperation with the manufacturers of engines and vehicles.

Just like any other trade, professional or industrial representative organization....

The light is coming on?

Originally Posted By: Mystic
Why does the API even bother to test motor oil and various products if nothing will be done if a product is not within specs?

The API tests motor oils. It does not test various products.

There is an enforcement mechanism for motor oils.

Originally Posted By: crinkles
Originally Posted By: StevieC
35.gif

i like that .

36.gif

10.gif

That's my "I'm watching the thread and enjoying it as a spectator" icon!
grin2.gif

Maybe Ashland is the new oversight board, since they qualify engine oils through their "state of the art" lab.
grin2.gif

Go Ashland! The little guy has landed an uppercut on XOM.

Originally Posted By: buster
Go Ashland! The little guy has landed an uppercut on XOM.

It's that calm reasoned unbiased approach to all this that has made you such a leader of men and pundit on lubrication.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back