Wal-Mart ATF any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
They sell it in convenient gallon containers. Makes it nice to pump into the trans.

But good is this stuff? Junk?

Its just another average commodity product packaged for them by a blender to appeal to the penny wise customer who is driven solely by price.

Good? Bad? Who can say. Those that use it will say its good but their opinion is driven by the price of it. If all you want is ATF, buy it. If you want something that is top quality, look for another well know brand name.

Note-Some will tell you is made by this well known or that well known company but while that maybe true, its not any indication its the very same product that that company sells.

I'd say it would be OK if you do frequent AT changes and it at least meets manufacturer specifications.

Please let us know how it goes. I think you have a good idea. Then you have the option to switch back to another product when you are done, if you think is necessary. Myself, I do frequent drains and refills on two cars. This process takes about 4 quarts and I do it every 15k miles. I have been using Red Line D4 with good results but am thinking about doing an Auto-Rx cycle on both. So I'm interested in how your deal turns out.

I recall reading that standard non synthetic ATF's are only made by a couple of companies in the US so that differences between brands is minimal at best. Is this true?

Quote:

This process takes about 4 quarts and I do it every 15k miles. I have been using Red Line D4 with good results but am thinking about doing an Auto-Rx cycle on both.

Somehow I doubt you need the ARX. But Supertech ATF would be a good option for a ARX run.

I like WM dexIII as an inexpensive flush for trannys that have been neglected. ARX would probably help the cleaning/ flushing process. I have used it in several transmissions with good results. I like to leave it in there for about 1500 or 2000 miles. I'm sure the WM fluid would be ok for a 10-15k interval for normal use, maybe longer if you don't overheat it as w/aux cooler installed, or operation in moderate climates, etc.

Walmart's Dex3 is no longer licensed, so I wouldn't use it, but that's a different story. FTR, I've used the "approved" version of Walmart Dex3 (back when it still existed) in my GM and Toyota for the last 10k or so with no ill effects.

I have no reason to believe that the newer unlicensed WM Dex/Merc is of any less quality than previous, licensed version. Now they are not paying the fee to license, they certainly have enough money to make a decent, modern formula? Maybe not.... I would use it without worries, though. I'm sure it is probably a modern version of DexIII, like the "H" spec. It works out to 1.75 per quart when purchased by the gallon, so a great value at the everyday price.

After I put a drain plug on my trans pan this is what I have been using. My change quantity is exactly 4 quarts so the gallon container works perfectly for me. Don't believe in transmission flushes so I figured I would do short interval changes for a while.

Started with the first few changes at every 3k. Last one was done 6,500 miles. Gonna push this one to 7,500 miles. When my current stash of supertech is depleted gonna switch to maxlife and just do a change once a year regardless of miles.

I asked who packages there oils? I was told that Quaker State. I know this is an oil site but come-on. How many of us have failures do to oil brands. We have problems when we don't change oils & service our cars & trucks. Oil is like cars & trucks. Everyone has a favorite and you aren't going to sell them anything else. I was a mechanic for years I have owned many new & used cars & trucks, and never have had a failure because of one brand or another. In fact when I was a kid in the 60s we would run drain oil because we didn't have the money to buy oil. It worked just fine.

Supertech ATF +4 is the shiznit.
twocents.gif

Quote:

Supertech ATF +4 is the shiznit.
twocents.gif

does that mean you like it?
Been using it in my 00 GC, I refuse to pay the dealer $8.00 a quart. My local walmart only stocks the gerneric stuff.

I've run it in a '95 Rodeo about 1/2 of it's life - mileage wise - approx. 125,000 miles. I cannot tell if it performs any worse than the higher priced Castrol Dexron-III(when it was available).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back