Waiting for boat parts

Volvo specs their oil and Mobil Delvac 1 gear oil in the manual. I have been using the Delvac, bought by the gallon cost is roughly $40 or so. Have to hunt around for that price online.

BTW, New OEM upper Volvo Penta gearcase is $4,500 !

I was told for the most part that the VP outdrives are bullet proof. Like any outdrive, just don't hit anything running SS props.

My first VP outdrive back in the early 1980s had power tilt but not power trim. Some kind of small electric motor pushed up a ram to tilt the engine. Could really only be used if the engine was off.
I had a 2007 Stringray 195 LX with 3 ltr VP SX outdrive, and I loved it.

I was told by the rebuilder that some of the parts have come in but still waiting for other parts. Of course they need to come from Europe.
Oh man, sign of the times, the world is out of stock. I assume its an older drive being they didnt have any rebuilds on hand? or, granted at much more expense new.
Curious what lakes that you boat on upstate? Really only been to one upstate lake a lot, Lake George. Lived on Long Island before escaping south... but the upstate is beautiful of course and not like downstate.

Oh man, sign of the times, the world is out of stock. I assume its an older drive being they didnt have any rebuilds on hand? or, granted at much more expense new.
Curious what lakes that you boat on upstate? Really only been to one upstate lake a lot, Lake George. Lived on Long Island before escaping south... but the upstate is beautiful of course and not like downstate.
It's a VP DPX-A OXI. An ocean version of the DPX-A. It's just not a common drive they would have in stock like a Merc Alpha One. It would need to be the correct drive and gear ratio.

This boat will be used in Delaware in the ocean or Delaware Bay.

I use to boat on the Hudson River in NY and have spent time on Lake George (love Lake George).

NY taxes are too high to stay after retirement.

It's a VP DPX-A OXI. An ocean version of the DPX-A. It's just not a common drive they would have in stock like a Merc Alpha One. It would need to be the correct drive and gear ratio.

This boat will be used in Delaware in the ocean or Delaware Bay.

I use to boat on the Hudson River in NY and have spent time on Lake George (love Lake George).

NY taxes are too high to stay after retirement.
Wow, well, good luck.
Yeah, Lake George as young adults we went there a a group every summer, even now decades later some of my friends still take the trip.
Use to love boating around the islands, past the rocks and small cliffs, water so crisp and clean.

We said goodbye to NY 15 years ago, never looked back, never would go back. Great memories, long time friends but to us, quality of life has been ruined on Long Island. Sewer of congestion, corruption, taxes and decline.

Think I posted this is our first Volvo Outdrive in literally decades and decades of boating. I know Merc Alpha drives inside and out, believe it or not, I NEVER had one fail. Sure they clunk into gear and that stupid water pump in the drive but darn it, they are work horses.

This is our first Volvo drive, SX-A ... granted it was a new to us boat BUT the cone clutch went at 100 hours. It turned out to be a common issue when this new model came out in 2008, the SX-A right at the 100 hour mark, which we just hit. (we bought the boat 3 years ago with 60 hours on it)
Anyway I know VP made some changes in the parts on the SX-A because of this sometime after 2008, the first year this drive was installed on boats.

No one wants to replace a cone clutch here, only replace the upper gearcase.
So no parts were needed to be ordered. Rebuilt and new OEM units were available for immediate shipping. We went with the new upper gearcase, dealer ordered and it was delivered within the week, installed in days, ran it last week, perfect... we were relieved. *L*

.... ok ... and now, how about the spark plugs I want to replace... They are in their pretty tight... afraid to ruin my summer and apply to much force. grrrrrrr.... may have to start a new thread on that some day...

Last edited:
Well Donald,
Not to rub salt in a wound.
But we are thrilled with the job the dealer did replacing the upper gear case of the SX-A outdrive while it was there I also had the seawater pickup pump replaced, pump housing too. We should be, dont get me wrong, it cost a fortune to have done but looks like at least, our local dealer does do things right. They are a Volvo Authorized dealer and thrilled with the job they did, so far.

On my own, I threw in a new battery from Sams Club and also replaced the Cap and Rotor which was in horrible condition. AS a rule I replace boat batteries every 3 to 4 years max. Automobiles and motorcycles every 4 years. Just replies my wifes Mazda is 5.5 years old and bought a new one at Sams club to put in this week. Thought it was sounding a little tired, longest I ever went on a battery in the hot southeast.

Been out the last two weekends, boat runs like new, in essence it is still new with only 103 hours on it.
Been holding RPMS around 3200 until the new SX-A gear case breaks in.
Anyway, its one of those feelings, more so with boats, that you hope everything works as it should and you dont have to bring it back to them to fix something they missed. Well, everything works as it should and now that I said this, I will hope and pray all summer long it stays this way.
Good god!

Have you got any more updates?

I get an update about every two weeks. I read stories and shipping containers being stuck all over the world. Unsure if the parts would be in a shipping container or just in a box on a plane.

If money was no object I would have gotten a new outdrive for $12,000 plus install. The dealer was actually more expensive than getting a new drive from the factory.

Rebuilding a drive requires a lot more skill than just bolting on a new drive. The backlash needs to be set properly. I got the feeling that the local dealer did not want to get involved in rebuilding the entire outdrive.

My issue was a gear where a few teeth had been broken off. Over time the broken teeth would be ground up into smaller metal pieces and flowing throughout the outdrive damaging all the bearings. There is a screen between the upper and lower half but it will only catch large metal pieces.

I get an update about every two weeks. I read stories and shipping containers being stuck all over the world. Unsure if the parts would be in a shipping container or just in a box on a plane.

If money was no object I would have gotten a new outdrive for $12,000 plus install. The dealer was actually more expensive than getting a new drive from the factory.

Rebuilding a drive requires a lot more skill than just bolting on a new drive. The backlash needs to be set properly. I got the feeling that the local dealer did not want to get involved in rebuilding the entire outdrive.

My issue was a gear where a few teeth had been broken off. Over time the broken teeth would be ground up into smaller metal pieces and flowing throughout the outdrive damaging all the bearings. There is a screen between the upper and lower half but it will only catch large metal pieces.
Your right about shipping and containers. My wife deals with this on containers from around the world on a daily basis. Delays all over the place, slowly improving now, but the new problem is, not enough employees from these companies to produce products on a timely basis.

Yes, I found this to be true, local dealers want nothing to do with pulling apart and rebuilding outdrives or anything.
If its bad, they will order a new one or rebuilt. In reality, all I THINK I needed was a new cone clutch but that didnt matter because no one and I mean no one would even attempt to diagnose if it was. It was just upper gear case or complete outdrive. (new or rebuilt, my choice)

Honestly, better off for the consumer then to trust a local dealer for a proper rebuilt anyway. That was my concern and just opted for a new Upper Gear case since that was the issue. I did compare prices on the internet for both upper gear cases and complete outdrives both new and rebuilt.
I found our local dealer pricing in line with what I could find (and I am pretty good at finding stuff) It was a relief but then again, we no longer live in NY.

The outdrive rebuilding shop called and said while that have more parts on the way from VP, the gear set needed for my outdrive has not yet arrived. No boat for the upcoming holiday weekend. I see no alternative.

I was told a replacement new VP outdrive is the end of the year. Unsure how Mercruiser parts availability is. This was VP and the parts came from Sweden. I doubt all the Mercruiser parts are made in the US.

I was told a replacement new VP outdrive is the end of the year. Unsure how Mercruiser parts availability is. This was VP and the parts came from Sweden. I doubt all the Mercruiser parts are made in the US.
I dont know either, I think everything from every industry is hit or miss.
As you know my new VP SX-A upper gearcase took less then a week to get shipped to my dealer.

Wow, yes, the season is coming to an end, though you wouldn't know it yet here in SC with temps topping out in the 90s everyday, one thing is undeniable is that its getting dark earlier and come OCT, the weather shifts fast to some cold nights at the end of the month and winterize before a hard freeze..
To bad it took all summer but I think for a while you will forget about that once you get that thing in the water and it runs perfectly, then make the most of what's left.
Ive been really happy with the work done on my VP SX-A new upper gear case, at the cost I should be happy but this is one of the times I am really happy with no issues or adjustments needed, they did a great job, shifts/runs like new all summer.

Back