Wait for mower to cool down before putting back in garage

I only have a push mower and I put it in the shed after every use. Interesting now I made need to leave it out for a while to cool off first.

I don't think any of my mowers ever ran hot enough to start a fire, but then again, I don't park them next to gas cans. I wonder if the fires start when parking the mower after the engines ran really hot...perhaps from degraded oil or no-oil/high-sludge condition(?)

Interesting. I hook the hose up to the deck-cleaning connection on my Craftsman, run it for a couple of minutes to clean, then run it for another couple of minutes to dry-out the deck, then immediately power it over to and park it in the shed.

Barring any fuel leaks and/or major obstructions at the engine (eg with grass clippings) I can’t see what would cause a fire.

Maybe I’ll let it cool down for 10 min or so outside of the shed from now on. An hour or more seems excessive.

Mine will most often detonate one last pop a good 5-10 seconds after it’s turned off. Something stays hot in there.

I wonder how many commercial mowing companies let their mowers cool down before they put them in their enclosed trailers when they finish?

My brother in law had a mower catch fire on him a few years ago. Fairly new Briggs. Worked out well because he gave it to me and I was able to use the drive wheels. He doesn’t take the best care of things so I assume it was loaded with grass. Plus, he was mowing some tall stuff with the purple flowers and thorns and dandelion like fuzz which I am sure was fuel to the fire.

Keep it clean and you’ll be fine.

I blow off my ZTR with a leaf blower. Then, I clean the underside of the mower deck with water. It then goes into the metal shed and hooked to a battery tender. I store my gasoline far away from the enclosed shed.

I've had mine catch on fire twice.

Hot day, dry grass, I shut it off and was going to get a drink, just happened to look back and there were flames coming up from near the front. I had parked next a hose so it only took a few seconds to put it out.

After that I always had a hose ready and would park next to it, then step back and watch for a few minutes.

It happened again about two years later, same scenario.

After the first time I always waited until it had cooled off before putting it inside.

I had a large area to mow, it took a least couple of hours if I did it quickly, so it had plenty of time to build up heat and collect dry grass.

Back