Wagon superiority thread

Like I said, ASWOA.com is LONG gone. Im 99.99% sure anyone on facebook I dont know and is likely not connected to the former as most of us originals are old, retired or dead. All of my build pages lost in the sea of ether bits.

But since you insist on the comparo being invalid...lets take 1 square sub and 1 chevy kingswood (aka clamshell).

Full body on chassis c frame, boxed in at the front: check
4 passenger doors and 1 big door in back with glass: check
Big azz steel bumpers: check
at least 2 rows of seats, with option for a 3rd row: check
Hydraulic disk brakes front, drum rear: check
MarkiV big block 454 engine: check
THM-400 tranny: check
PS, PB, Air, and perhaps windows and locks as well: check
clock in around 2.5 tons empty: check
coil springs up front: check
elliptical leafs in the rear: check
popular with growing familes with perhaps a trailer to tow: check
get crap for mileage: check
registration class says 'station wagon' on it: check

The only diff I see is that the clamshell has a 12bolt semi-floating rear and the sub has a 14 bolt full floater

Yeah, that makes em completely different.

it would seem these have far more in common both form and function (wait didnt I say that?) than your VW wagon. It might be more correct to list the VW 'wagon' as just some weird VW beetle or 'thing' followon. Everyone knows the 411 and 412 were the REAL VW wagons ANYWAYS. (had some of them too)

ps: I neglected to mention the Buick Estate clamshell, which while being far more popular and desired, has a 455 inch engine therefore they would be super uber different
Like I said, ASWOA.com is LONG gone. Im 99.99% sure anyone on facebook I dont know and is likely not connected to the former as most of us originals are old, retired or dead. All of my build pages lost in the sea of ether bits.

But since you insist on the comparo being invalid...lets take 1 square sub and 1 chevy kingswood (aka clamshell).

Full body on chassis c frame, boxed in at the front: check
4 passenger doors and 1 big door in back with glass: check
Big azz steel bumpers: check
at least 2 rows of seats, with option for a 3rd row: check
Hydraulic disk brakes front, drum rear: check
MarkiV big block 454 engine: check
THM-400 tranny: check
PS, PB, Air, and perhaps windows and locks as well: check
clock in around 2.5 tons empty: check
coil springs up front: check
elliptical leafs in the rear: check
popular with growing familes with perhaps a trailer to tow: check
get crap for mileage: check
registration class says 'station wagon' on it: check

The only diff I see is that the clamshell has a 12bolt semi-floating rear and the sub has a 14 bolt full floater

Yeah, that makes em completely different.

it would seem these have far more in common both form and function (wait didnt I say that?) than your VW wagon. It might be more correct to list the VW 'wagon' as just some weird VW beetle or 'thing' followon. Everyone knows the 411 and 412 were the REAL VW wagons ANYWAYS. (had some of them too)

ps: I neglected to mention the Buick Estate clamshell, which while being far more popular and desired, has a 455 inch engine therefore they would be super uber different
It's not a car based on another car and that's a deal-killer. Station wagons are cars - I didn't realize this was controversial. I hope the meatloaf and instant mash are good today at Shady Acres retirement home.

My wife most certainly is not that way - we have a VW Altas and as the kids have gotten older and we don't need the carrying capacity of a 3-row SUV, she would like to get back in something smaller/more fun - maybe an Audi S5 etc. That's a pretty big generalization dude. Wait, by your logic/definintion here the Atlas is also a station wagon like basically everything on the road today! :ROFLMAO:
well she certainly is a special lady and you should hold onto her, but please note, it was WOMEN buyers what almost singularly drove the minivan craze, then explorer sized SUVs then rav sized CUVs - if we agree that facts matter. all 3 families have 1 glaring thing in common: driver seating position and type.

FWIW, NO ONE is buying cars anymore and less and less makers are making them. correct me if I am wrong, but I think only Tesla has more car models than truck/suv models. so if you want an S5, hurry, rumor has it VAG is dropping the lineup by 2025. read thissun: https://www.motor1.com/news/587230/suvs-still-rule-us-market/

Exactly. I must admit that laugh at all the mall-crawler lifted Jeeps that are nearly carbon-copies of each other daily around here. Never seen a once of dirt and folks drive something so comprised for road-use to look good. Whatever floats your boat right? And I like Jeeps BTW...2-door with some tires would be fine with me for summer.
Our crowded cities have plenty Jeeps like that - my malls have more birds than people 😷

891B50E3-4CE8-4129-BC4D-FA3C65851C34.jpeg
E3ECB1E8-3059-47EA-981E-DA8F2CB54E47.jpeg
2D9B60F5-E913-4279-9250-DFCD02A0EB10.jpeg
1F42D752-D442-478B-BE09-CD96BF308B87.jpeg

Last edited:
well she certainly is a special lady and you should hold onto her, but please note, it was WOMEN buyers what almost singularly drove the minivan craze, then explorer sized SUVs then rav sized CUVs - if we agree that facts matter. all 3 families have 1 glaring thing in common: driver seating position and type.

FWIW, NO ONE is buying cars anymore and less and less makers are making them. correct me if I am wrong, but I think only Tesla has more car models than truck/suv models. so if you want an S5, hurry, rumor has it VAG is dropping the lineup by 2025. read thissun: https://www.motor1.com/news/587230/suvs-still-rule-us-market/
We had a mininvan, best family vehicle there ever was in our house.

higher seating, ergo better visibility, shorter LOA or wheelbase - makes women love em. put a woman up in a CUV and she aint never going back down into a roller skate - regardless what it has.
Fair enough. It's not for me, but my wife likes to drive at altitude so I see what you're saying.

Fair enough. It's not for me, but my wife likes to drive at altitude so I see what you're saying.
For sure, there is a reason they are super popular....sits up higher, cargo room, car-like ride. A modern station wagon really but not a station wagon by definition.

Back