Wagon superiority thread

Don't be jealous. 83 Buick "Estate Wagon." Like 6 Horse Power. Couldn't get out of it's own way in spite of a (neutered) V8, something like a 4 barrel 308. Horrible power, horrible MPG. 0-60 in an afternoon. Seriously, it might have had 125hp. The 80s were punishing. People today, are spoiled with no idea of the garbage we had in that era.

1983 Buick LeSabre Estate Wagon018.jpg

Do you guys know the difference between an estate car and a station wagon and why they are called that? I myself am partial to the shooting brake. ;)

Don't be jealous. 83 Buick "Estate Wagon." Like 6 Horse Power. Couldn't get out of it's own way in spite of a (neutered) V8, something like a 4 barrel 308. Horrible power, horrible MPG. 0-60 in an afternoon. Seriously, it might have had 125hp. The 80s were punishing. People today, are spoiled with no idea of the garbage we had in that era.

View attachment 141823
For the record it would have had an Oldsmobile 307 with 140 HP. :)

66147785-6988-48DB-965C-6D51BDE00C91.png
4643FDB3-C631-49EB-A21C-3D3F18B7BA5D.png

View attachment 141823
I'm well aware of how bad things were then. 1.8L on mine at 200hp/L. Power density level 11. I have no love for the '70s-'80s boat wagons, they do nothing for me. Wagons that are cool to me are the Euro variants that have a performance angle and are smaller/sportier.

The only wagon I have owned was a 1973 Chevy Vega GT Kammback Wagon in Midnight Green. The most fun car I have had. Note I didn't say best . It had the 2 bbl 2 stage Rochchester/Weber knockoff carb. At about 2/3 throttle the second bbl would kick in. Kinda like a passing gear in a 4 speed manual. I could load my entire life in the back with the rear seat folded, then carve curves on Mo. State Route 179 south of Jamestown, into Jefferson City along the river. I drove it for 60K and it was done at 85K but a blast to drive at all times.

Grew up on wagons. The old ford torino wagons in tupperware dealer green, colony parks, clamshells...restored 6 of the 80's GM versions, finished up with a 91 curvy one, then of course the VW TDi wagons. VW paid me so much to buy back the diesel I bought another house. But when it comes to ultimate....attached find 'mic drop'

Attachments

• uploadable sub.jpg
    uploadable sub.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 8
Grew up on wagons. The old ford torino wagons in tupperware dealer green, colony parks, clamshells...restored 6 of the 80's GM versions, finished up with a 91 curvy one, then of course the VW TDi wagons. VW paid me so much to buy back the diesel I bought another house. But when it comes to ultimate....attached find 'mic drop'
Too bad a Suburban isn't a station wagon. Rule #1. Has to be a car and almost always directly based on a sedan variant. Other rules not necessary here.

Yep, a good one indeed. Is that tuned or stock power at the crank? If my W8 wagon was a stick it would win ahahhaah
That's stock. Normal boost.

Lots of guys tune them and run them harder. They should really do some block reinforcement before cranking up the boost. They guys that do reinforce the block have good results. One or two folks have pushed 600 HP out of them with a bigger turbo, bigger intercooler, etc.

I'm keeping it stock. It's a great car, and blowing it up would be a shame.

Here's one guy, Lars, who is pushing close to that number, and he properly reinforced the block (new sleeves) as the foundation for the build. The reviewer hits 300 km/h on the autobahn.

Last edited:
yes it is. reg even sez so. subs are the FIRST and foremost wagon. and since we are bigger than you, we win. (rule#1 of the jungle)
Nobody calls a Suburban a "station wagon" and yes, many things are called what they are on the reg which doens't mean it is by the classic definitions (Jeep Gran Wagoneer or Cherokee come to mind)...last time I looked there wasn't a Suburban sedan or hatch. Folks in wagon posts always want to be part of the elite club posting things that are not station wagons but here, you just have a run-o-the mill big SUV I'm afraid to say - I like those old Subs but a station wagon it does not make big or not (compensating for size issues elsewhere?).

Nobody calls a Suburban a "station wagon" and yes, many things are called what they are on the reg which doens't mean it is by the classic definitions (Jeep Gran Wagoneer or Cherokee come to mind)...last time I looked there wasn't a Suburban sedan or hatch. Folks in wagon posts always want to be part of the elite club posting things that are not station wagons but here, you just have a run-o-the mill big SUV I'm afraid to say - I like those old Subs but a station wagon it does not make big or not (compensating for size issues elsewhere?).
welp, gotta disagree with you on the 'nobody'- if you ever go to a car show you are gonna find yourself in the minority, and I have to ask, have you ever actually SEEN one outside of the picture I posted? what about the gladiator based wags and 'redskins'? (the latter being a 2 door odditiy.) I was a founding charter member of ASWOA (original ,com no longer exists) we been doing this for a few decades before you were born. The 'SUV' moniker was invented about 50 years after to first suburban so, um, no. wasnt a jeep gladiator sedan EITHER.

title of the thread is 'wagon superiority' and well, swallow your pride. The ole bus is superior. you dont have to worship the ground I walk on oh no. but you would be expected to go get me lunch. Thai please. super spicy. ;-)

PS: the suburban shares far more in common in both form and function with the clamshells (lookemup) that were considered the ultimate family wagon than anything you have in your tag line. in fact, the VWs you list are just extended hatches if we want to be pedantic. Trust me had a pile of THEM as well.

That's stock. Normal boost.

Lots of guys tune them and run them harder. They should really do some block reinforcement before cranking up the boost. They guys that do reinforce the block have good results. One or two folks have pushed 600 HP out of them with a bigger turbo, bigger intercooler, etc.

I'm keeping it stock. It's a great car, and blowing it up would be a shame.

Here's one guy, Lars, who is pushing close to that number, and he properly reinforced the block (new sleeves) as the foundation for the build. The reviewer hits 300 km/h on the autobahn.

Do you know the Richmond Volvo crew - RVA Swedes? I see you in VB (my hometown BTW). There are some sweet Volvos but none of what you have - I believe one of the guys has the older R wagon that only came state-side in an auto so clearly not as elite as what you are throwing around here!!!

Do you know the Richmond Volvo crew - RVA Swedes? I see you in VB (my hometown BTW). There are some sweet Volvos but none of what you have - I believe one of the guys has the older R wagon that only came state-side in an auto so clearly not as elite as what you are throwing around here!!!
Hadn’t heard of them, but appreciate the info. I’ll have to look them up!

welp, gotta disagree with you on the 'nobody'- if you ever go to a car show you are gonna find yourself in the minority, and I have to ask, have you ever actually SEEN one outside of the picture I posted? what about the gladiator based wags and 'redskins'? (the latter being a 2 door odditiy.) I was a founding charter member of ASWOA (original ,com no longer exists) we been doing this for a few decades before you were born. The 'SUV' moniker was invented about 50 years after to first suburban so, um, no. wasnt a jeep gladiator sedan EITHER.

title of the thread is 'wagon superiority' and well, swallow your pride. The ole bus is superior. you dont have to worship the ground I walk on oh no. but you would be expected to go get me lunch. Thai please. super spicy. ;-)

PS: the suburban shares far more in common in both form and function with the clamshells (lookemup) that were considered the ultimate family wagon than anything you have in your tag line. in fact, the VWs you list are just extended hatches if we want to be pedantic. Trust me had a pile of THEM as well.
Sure, seen them, driven them, rode in them. An extended hatch? Yes...that is by definition....a station wagon.....

Guess I can't link FB groups here...

I didn't see any Suburbans/SUVs posted there - looks like all old-school full-size station wagons.

Always a good one:

"Oh, and these are all car-chassis vehicles– no SUVs for true wagonhood. Okay, let’s get to the rules."

Theyt had a meet in Charlottesville, VA at some point recently...not really my cup of tea but station wagons none-the-less.
Capture.JPG

Capture.JPG

Back